Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 AM

Karen, your blocks are gorgeous!!! Love them all, even the not so tumbly blocks
Old 09-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Wonderful blocks Karen G. and auntjo!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:17 PM

Has anyone made F1 - Silver and Gold yet? I've spent an afternoon on it... had to stitch the inset squares & triangles by hand as it's definitely not a strong point of mine... BUT.... now.... there's like 24 seams coming together for that center seam....I put it into the junk pile last night & made an easier EQ5 version today.... BUT....then pulled this poor specimen out just in case there's hope for it yet. (& got a call my camera can be fixed for under $200, yeah!)
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 PM

Thimblebug, did you sew all the way to the end of the seams? If you don't sew into tthe 1/4" seam allowance it's easier to get the centre of the block lay flat. Here's the one I made for my Sylvia.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490845[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails tinekeschilperoortf1silverandgold-452-x-458-.jpg  
Old 09-09-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Thimblebug, did you sew all the way to the end of the seams? If you don't sew into tthe 1/4" seam allowance it's easier to get the centre of the block lay flat. Here's the one I made for my Sylvia.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490845[/ATTACH]
Yours is beautiful! No I didn't sew into the ¼" seam allowance and I think that's what is confusing me so much, I just don't know what to do with all those points. Will look at it again with a fresh eye and maybe a little more patience
Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
I am following this thread with great interest - some lovely blocks being done !. I am doing my blocks with another group ( which had started before this one ) and wondered if you would like to see my progress ?

If you click on any block it will enlarge it.

http://www.amiga.talktalk.net/index.html

My Dear Jane is ready to be layered with a friend who has a long arm machine and she will just sew down and across the sashing and then I will add some hand quilting.
I am also making the blocks for The Loyal Union Sampler and Carol Doak's Stars. So there is always something on my machine !!!

Thanks for looking.
Love your blocks thanks for your link!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Thimblebug, when sewn the points should spread out like flower petals. That way the block should lay flat. If not, use a hammer and beat it into submission
Old 09-09-2014, 01:40 PM

Hello ladies,

I am wanting to just now START Syvial Bridal Sampler. In fact I just order the books today off Amazon. I think it's beautiful! A lot of my friends are doing the Dear Jane, but for some reason I just thought that looked to be toooooo overwhelming to me, whereas the SBS looked more manageable. Mind if I join you????

So I have a f ew questions for those of you that are the midst of this sampler already.
(1) if you know of Dear Jane how do you think the compares?
(2) how are you choosing your 'cOlor palette? Using scraps, what ever appeals to you for that particular block or are you sticking with the. Or traditional colors of the time?
(3) are your background fabrics all within the same family, say all beige tone of tone or white tone on tone or just whatever you have on hand? I'm trying to decide if I should choose one fabric for background & go with scraps for the rest or what. I haven't decided.

Thanks for the help/suggestions. Now to wait for my book to come in.
Anything I can be doing while I wait??????

Old 09-10-2014, 03:06 AM

Hi Laquita I am doing both SBS and Dear Jane and SBS is by far the easier of the two. 6 inch blocks are very manageable and not a lot of applique. If you start at the beginning of this thread you will see everyone's blocks for inspiration, and quite a few showing their blocks all together.

As for me I am using the same background fabric, the same main fabric throughout and pulling different tone on tone fabrics for each block from my stash, and loving how it is coming together.

I hope your book arrives soon and you can join in at any time, please post pics of your blocks as you make them, we love to ooh and aah a lot.

A good idea is to finish some UFO's if you have any, as these SBS blocks can become addictive or maybe cook some frozen meals

I am falling behind at the moment but will catch up by the end of this month.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:51 AM

I am using several different beige tone on tone fabrics for the backgrounds. The blocks in the book are too dull for my taste so I am using brighter fabrics in blues, greens, purples and corals. Someone is using Christmas prints. make it your own!