Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 74 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24 64 73 74 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 1926

Thread: Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

I'm not a fan of Angela Walters, either, as a teacher. She quilts amazingly, though. I think that faux flange is a cool trick and I don't do it any other way now. Same result with less hassle is my motto. I'll be doing that on my SBS...

speaking of.....the inner border is on!! Decided to do just one....this thing is big already before the applique border so re-evaluated. I'm working on applique border now...it's turning out better than I visualized...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

the fear of sandwiching is the main reason I bought a LA. I can have a quilt loaded on the frame and ready to start stitching in about 30 mn.

I have never tried the flange binding, have never even looked fully at the tutorial. I do mine by machine and the narrow foot on my juki is perfect for getting a nice even topstitch just along the edge. It's one of the things that sold me on buying that machine. I took a bunch of test sewing with me, and one was a bit of binding on a potholder size sandwich.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I'm gonna research the Juki. I've heard many positive comments about it.
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Teen, you're right about Angela's quilting, except when she teaches. Maybe she's just better on a LA?

How long before we can see your finished SB top? Can't wait to see it!!

Mace, I do my binding by machine also but the faux flange....haha! I loved it! I use the walking foot for attaching the second part of the binding. I tried the narrow foot once but I like the walking foot better.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

I've never used a walking foot, though I have them for most of my machines (including the "penguin" for the FW). I even have a Pfaff with the built in one.

I can get a king size quilt fully bound in about an hour. And once I sit down at the machine, I do not get up again until it's done. I've seen so many tutorials about joining the binding, and most make it so much more work than it needs to be. It's actually really simple, and the key is to press over the diagonal on the leading edge (I match the direction of the other seams).

However since I seem to let my quilts build up and then do 4-5 bindings at a time, that repetition helps to hard code how to do it in my brain. Its like most things, if you do just a little bit (like one quilt) and then don't get back to it for a long time, you forget a lot. However if you do a lot at one time, then you get the muscle memory and the next time (even if it's been 6 months or more) your body remembers quicker how to do the motions.

I'm watching one of Angela's craftsy classes right now, and not has encouraged by it as some of the other instructors. It is getting me more enthusiastic about doing more FM with my quilting. I started out with a machine without robotics, and even had the HQ for a year before adding them. But now that I have them, I'm more tempted to use them. Was not what I intended, and in truth they can take more time than doing FMQ if you want a more free flowing pattern. Much easier to plan your starts and stops, and make things fit without a lot of resizing and adjusting the design. Though your arms get much more tired doing FM than watching the machine move itself!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Now that you mention the adjusting and resizing it makes sense. I always thought you load the quilt, start the computer and the machine does the rest. Not so.....haha! You need to have panto's to let the machine work on its own?

I always bind the quilt I quilted right after the quilting. Otherwise I might use the binding fabric in another project LOL. I don't join binding strips diagonal, I know I should but I never did. I know how to, that's not the problem, I just don't without a reason.

Funny because I use to think Machine embroidery was like that, hoop your fabric, load the design, thread the machine and hit "go" - very little thought required .

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    Funny because I use to think Machine embroidery was like that, hoop your fabric, load the design, thread the machine and hit "go" - very little thought required .
    I guess we both were wrong!

Name:  images.png
Views: 69
Size:  4.3 KB

Silly, Anael! Welp, I gotta hit the LQS to buy another yard of my stem fabric. I don't have enough to cut on bias so to LQS I go after dentist appointment tomorrow. Bummer... Applique'd some more pieces today but had to stop until I have more stems. I should be on target for handing this off to LA at end of May. I'll share pictures when quilt complete...*wink*

On binding, I sew at the diagonal and do that technique that joins the ends. (I don't know what that technique is called if it even has a name). I started cutting the binding for SBS since I had to stop on applique. I'm gonna have to piece the back since it's so wide. I have plenty still on the bolt of the 2 main fabrics. I'm so glad I am using that stuff up. I am so close to finishing this baby I get more excited.

Interesting dialog about faux flange binding, long arm & embroidery machines, etc. I keep it pretty simple - I'm a hand quilter, almost exclusive. I occasionally machine quilt something if I need it quickly, but otherwise enjoy the zen of hand quilting. In, out, calm, peace, serenity - love it. I also just slap on the binding, hand sew it down. But you've caught my interest about faux flange binding - will look it up. That's what's so interesting about this board - exposure to so many different techniques.

2 more blocks done since the weekend:

Name:  J-10.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  77.3 KBName:  N-6.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  82.6 KB

Oh wow, such great fuzzy cutting again!!! And such lovely colours

Yes I agree, you can learn a lot here! The faux binding is so easy and looks great on a quilt. I'm going to use it more often now that I know how to do it.

Blog Entries
    Wow you, ladies have definitely been a talkative bunch.

Anael, love the photo of the castle and the swan. Such history you have. It's really beautiful to see.

Actually, all of you have shared such beautiful photos of your areas. They are really nice to share.

I would say I'm a tentative quilter at best. I much prefer piecing and sending out the larger quilts. (Much easier on me.) I carry a lot of tension in my hands and tend to pull and stretch to an inch of a "quilts" life. Not a good thing when quilting. They smaller projects I do quilt at home. But, still keep quilting down to a smaller scale. So as to not psyche myself out.

Donna Pea, congrats on making it to the half way point. Things are looking great. Your all scrappy blocks are going to make into an amazing quilt.

Teen can't wait to see your quilt with the applique borders on it.

Anael, I loved your first pp block. The blue and the stars just came out amazing.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Thank you Judith!!

Riding my bike is really great as I learn about our history too I thought I knew a bit but actually I don't know anything at all. It's been such a long time since I learned it......I forgot everything, oh well almost everything. And seeing the places where it actually took place is even better.
    I'm planning on riding for a long time to come, hopefully I will be able to.

Today was my neighbor's funeral. My quilt was on his casket, he had a basket like casket made of cane (or reed?) instead of wood. It really was a beautiful casket/basket. I managed not to cry, though I was crying inside.
    They mentioned the fact he was about to retire but didn't make it.....so I decided not to waste time on stuff I don't want to do or don't like besides the few things you really need to do.

Anael, sounds like it was a beautiful funeral. I love the visual picture I have in my mind of your lovely quilt on a basket-type coffin. So sad he didn't get the closure to a work-life that retirement brings. You're right - that does sort of put things we think are so important into perspective, doesn't it.

Donna....love your blocks. The kaleidoscope block turned out awesome with the he fabrics you chose. Keep on rockin girl! And, like you, I have learned so much from QB members. Truly a talented bunch of people, more so on this thread. Amazing skills. When you try the faux flange, you'll be doing it for all your quilts...it's super easy.

Judith....I've been quilting here and there but mostly take my quilts to LA. This SBS will be a bit of a challenge since I'm only asking her to do the blocks and I'm going to do the borders because of the applique. There is another LA who does FMQ on applique quilts but she charges an arm and a leg. My quilt shop friend has all hers done by this gal (she does really amazing, intricate hand applique stuff ....tons of ribbons received....3D layered stuff....phew...beyond me). The last quilt she took in cost $500 and took LA 6 mos to do. No thanks....I don't sew show worthy stuff so I'll keep my money for something else.

Anael....sad day for you and I'm so sorry. Funerals are sad but also reminders for the living that every moment is precious and should be lived as such. I'm sure your quilt looked amazing....very touching for you, I'm sure.

OMG!!! I shouldn't have let my husband choose the applique layout. I auditioned 3 borders and he chose the most challenging in terms of location on quilt. Then...Miss Picky (namely me) adds another splash of color here and there...more vines etc...so more applique. Ugh! I need to just stop it and finish this thing but I am enjoying playing. I think I've nailed the creative process down so it's just sewing now. Geesh!

Blog Entries
    Teen, I'm sure your quilt borders are going to be show worthy. But, don't add so much that you over shadow your beautiful SBS blocks. (I usually have a problem with that myself. Don't know where to just stop adding.)

The lady I send my quilts to is a LA quilter. (But, not professional.) I did my research on what LA'r's charge and made her an offer on edge to edge (utility quilt quality) quilting. (What I could afford.) She is a fellow QB'r. A friend here. But, has asked that I not pass it along. She is basically helping me get caught up on the quilting of my UFO's. Or, they would never get done. She does simple quilting with her LA. And, I'm happy with that. There is no way I could justify the expense of $500 or more on specialty quilting when I truly would like to have a $500 or more sewing machine. You have to pick and choose your moments. Right?!

But, like Anael said, I am picking and choosing the projects to finish. Life is too short to not be doing what you love. Especially when you have no idea of the end game. The one's I don't, I will pass on to someone else for charity.

Blog Entries
    Anael, I have never seen a basket like casket. But, it truly sounded beautiful. And, I'm sure your gifted quilt made for a beautiful send off over the casket. I'm glad you made it through the funeral okay.

Riding your bike to all these different historical landmarks sounds like fun. That would not work where I live. You would life in absolute fear of your life with the way people drive. The traffic is very heavy. I live just outside the city of Brandon. Our area alone the population is 103,500. Our state, has a population of 21 million people. But, it is not the area with all the historical landmarks. The part with all the landmarks, I would be in fear of being mugged or worse. Florida has it moments and areas. But, getting to them on a bike just isn't possible. That's why I really enjoy your photos so well. It truly is beautiful. Do you ride your bike with a group or some friends. Or, if alone, are you safe?
    Last edited by Judith1005; 05-17-2018 at 05:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Donna Pea, I really like your K9. Is that one a Bears Paw block? (That's not right is it. It seams different then a Bear's Paw Block.) And, I really loved your kaleidoscope block. They are challenging in terms of color placement. Especially in a whole quilt. That's on my bucket list of quilts. And, your fussy cutting of the J10 was spot on. It really makes that block shine.

My mother made a 5 different fabric kaleidoscope quilt for my last baby. It came out beautifully. Although, she sure picked at her faults on it. I loved it. And, the baby wasn't fussed over it.
    Last edited by Judith1005; 05-17-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    MacyBaby, if you are not at work, I bet you are in your quilting Shed. How goes the LA'mng. I can't wait to see what else you finish. To be such a newer quilter, You make beautiful detailed quilts. And, your precise piecing is amazing.

Awww thanks Judith!

So sorry you can't ride a bike where you live. We heard bad things about Florida

Mostly I'm riding alone and yes, it's safe. A few months ago, when a girl was riding her bike and was raped and murdered we all were in shock. Since that happened I inform my youngest son where I'm going and what time I start my ride. When I'm heading home again I let him know as well. So when he doesn't hear from me he knows something is wrong. That's the only thing I can do without getting crazy about the cruel, crazy world around us.

Once every 2 months I'm riding with my youngest brother. We're always having fun and most of the time we get off track hahaha. Not last time though, we even did a short cut! That never happened before LOL.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-23-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic, should have used link

Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    Donna Pea, I really like your K9. Is that one a Bears Paw block? (That's not right is it. It seams different then a Bear's Paw Block.) And, I really loved your kaleidoscope block. They are challenging in terms of color placement. Especially in a whole quilt. That's on my bucket list of quilts. And, your fussy cutting of the J10 was spot on. It really makes that block shine.

My mother made a 5 different fabric kaleidoscope quilt for my last baby. It came out beautifully. Although, she sure picked at her faults on it. I loved it. And, the baby wasn't fussed over it.
    Judith, K-9 is Barrister's Block, has some similarities to Bear's Paw. I was not familiar with the Kaleidoscope block, and like how it turned out and how easy it was to do. Getting exposed to a whole bunch of different blocks in this project.

Anael - I too have never seen a basket coffin, but I like it. Looks emotionally warmer than a wooden casket, which can be so polished and harsh looking, or a metal one.

Donna.....as a quilter of only 2 years, 95% of the blocks were new to me. Lol! As a matter of fact, I did my first churn dash block on this quilt...and a week later made some churn dash blocks for a board swap. Lol! I like that block.

Anael....That must have been a beautiful coffin. It does appear less formal and more traditions of home and hearth.

I should have this quilt top done by tomorrow and sandwiched this weekend. That's the goal anyway. When I put the binding on this bad boy, I'm moving to the dining room table to do it. Ugh!

You might like this idea Teen. It's a BOM from another board, years ago. This was my second BOM. It was called Hole in the Barndoor and most USA ladies had a red background. As all - oh well most - barndoors are green here I went with green and hated it. I called it The Green Monster .

Name:  823439184390462.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  67.9 KB

Learning appliquick.........I will get there Thanks Teen!!!!

Name:  appliquick.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  109.3 KB

Here's my first appliquick block. Not perfect, still learning to make pointy points. That's hard!

Name:  block3.1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  116.5 KB

Page 74 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24 64 73 74 75 ... LastLast