Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • "Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst! >
  • "Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst!

• "Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 PM

The camping trips I remember from my childhood bring back incredible memories. My father is a minister and one of the infrequent Sundays he consistently took off was the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We always camped over the long weekend at a campground named "S Tree" in Jackson County, Kentucky. The weather varied, of course, over the two decades of holidays we enjoyed. Our family of five was joined by another family of five, and all the kids matched up! There was a large, well-constructed shelter at the campground where we spent the majority of our time, reading, playing games, talking. Our Thanksgiving dinners were most often grilled steaks will all the trimmings; I did not attend a formal "turkey" Thanksgiving until I was in my early twenties!
    Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Navy Wife
    Originally Posted by Up North
    We camp at a rustic campground, No fancy potty no shower, no electricity or running water. They have a great well and a huge lake. I get frustrated when people with motor homes come there, they HAVE to run those darn noisy generators, Have TV's and DVD players, Yuck!! Those things I have at home!! Give me a good old rustic place anytime!! I totally would rather tent camp as then in the morning you throw your sleeping bag over your pillow, sweep out the tent and get out of their for the day. I do find the Pop up more work, There is more to do in there. I have a battery operated Sewing Machine and Maddy made her first quilt while camping at age 6. Last year it was an outfit.
    I must say I agree about the generators. We are one of the big guys, and we either try not to stay in rustic campgrounds, or we try to fit in. The only time the generator is on is to watch the evening news and charge batteries. Takes about 30 minutes.
    Think about it 30 minutes is a LONG time when everything is supposed to be quiet. Put some music on that you hate and sit on the porch and listen for a half an hour, When you just want to relax- It is a long time!! I say no No NO!!! Not in a non electric campground, If it doesn't use AA, C or D batteries it shouldn't be there, My opinion only!! LOL The news is on the radio if necessary and my light work with battery or Kerosene But who cares about news when you are on a vacation? Not me!! I am not trying to make you feel bad but to think about the people who choose to camp without all the fancy stuff. You can camp however you are most comfortable and maybe I should move farther into the woods!! LOL
    Old 07-27-2010, 04:22 PM

When I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant with our oldest, my DH decided it would be a good idea to go camping. Reluctantly, I agreed since we were only going about 20 miles from our home. The campground was primitive, with only one set of restrooms (I use that term loosely!). Naturally, being pregnant and close to popping, in the middle of the night, I had to pee. That's when it hit me that my DH had picked a campsite clear across the campground from the restroom. No way was I taking that walk by myself, so I woke him up, and made him come with me. Every so often I remind him of that! Mostly though, our experiences with camping and our kids were so much fun. I made it clear from the start that it was my vacation too, so the chores were equally shared. We've been looking at pop-ups, my back can't take the ground anymore. Would love to be able to go again.
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 PM

We went a couple of times a year for years, preferred San Simeon, Ca. It's what I'd called civilized, didn't bother me not to rusticate!! Pay Showers, mostly clean B rooms, Grass, Trees/shade, easy to get along w/Rangers. Whoever wanted to tag along was welcome, sometimes up to 30 ppl all ages, pitched in on food and fees. 3-4 days at a time, load up the trucks and lets go, tried to caravan over, so much easier when all were there to pitch in setting up. Mostly the Guys cooked, Real Breakfast, what ever you could find for lunch and everything from fried fish to tri tip for dinner, sometimes a pot af noodles. If you didn't like what was being served, town was that-a-way, all were present most meals. We'd end up looking like the "Grapes of Rath" Can't imagine why the neighbors, all set there chairs looking in our direction, waffle ball, or line dancing in the road (very bad dancers) but great fun !!!
    Most memorable was a weekend where the dates had changed several times, Went over all set up then came the rain, tents collapsed, cups in air mattresses, filled with water, we stood under 2 canopies throwing things at each other most of the afternoon, "want a soda sure catch wet marshmallo anyone" cleared just enough to get the fire dry and hot enough to cook on that night, umbrellas took lots of trips to the restrooms. never had rubber boots before then, not so bad and great fun!!
    Funny part was the weekend we were suppose to go they ended up with 8 inches of rain ours was much less!!
    Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 AM

We used to camp out in a tent quite a lot when my kids were very little. However, when my youngest son raced BMX bikes (ages 9–17), we traveled and tented at the various tracks... That is until one time at the Pittsburgh BMX Track when a storm came in... lightning struck the metal flagpole, jumped to the starter gate and metal fence surrounding the track, knocking people to the ground, and wind blew away our tent. No one was seriously injured, but it was an eye opener for us. We decided right then and there to continue the BMX bike tour going from motel to motel, where we got much better sleep, and didn't have to worry about the weather. Thanks for helping me remember those fun times.
    Old 07-28-2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    We used to go camping in a small trailer. I'm claustraphobic--not good. I didn't enjoy it. I worked all week long (after my regular job and taking care of a small child) to get everything ready. When we got to the camp site my dh "set up camp" by plugging the camper into the electrical outlet and putting the jacks under each end to steady it. My job was to set out the chairs, roll out the canopy, start the fire, cook supper. After supper it was my job to clean up while he sat. After all, we were on a relaxing weekend. The next morning while he slept I had to cook breakfast, then clean up, then lunch then clean up, cook supper then clean up. Plus make the beds, keep the camper straightened up, take care of dd. All the work of home with few of the ammenities. Then when we got home I got to clean everything. Nope, not my idea of a good time. The one time I thought I could enjoy it and took a small sewing machine he had a fit! NO, no way was I going to sew, we had to go for a hike in 90 degree heat and humidity almost as bad. Never went again. We still have the camper, it's full of RC airplanes.
    Funny how that works out, huh? lol We get to do all the packing, cooking, etc and then get to 'undo' when we get home. How much fun is that? One time we had been traveling all day in our motor home and found a state park to spend the night at a campsite. We cranked up the generator as I prepared supper, a knock came on the door and a woman had the audacity (?SP) to ask us if we were going to run the generator all nite! DUH, Im sorry, its a National Park- for everybody. Who made her the campground police? It was an area clearly marked for campers and motor homes! Some people can ruin it for all.
    Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 AM

In a state park where usually there is electricity anyway I don't care if people run their generators but that is why I go to a rustic campground with none of that is available, I go to enjoy nature and get away from the noises of everyday life. They did finally make all the dirt dike campers move to a certain area away from the families with small children, I love camping but I love the peace and quiet of it the most. Silly me!
    Old 07-28-2010, 05:47 AM

When our girls were teenagers we took a week camping trip to southern Indiana. We were camping in tents and it rained every day most of the day until our last day. We spent our days in a screened in tent. Needless to say, we were glad when it was time to go home.

Our best was a vacation to in Glacier National Park where we hiked the many trails. It is beautiful and it could not have been better.
    Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 AM

I remember the days of camping when I was younger. We did tent camping, then when I got married we bought a tent and took our 3 daughters. NO TV, radio. Showed them how to fish, make a fire, and had loads of fun. Now that they are grown and married we bought a used 5th wheel trailer and husband and I go with with several different friends and have a blast just sitting around a campfire at night, walking trails and literally doing nothing. DD and SIL also borrow the trailer and camp..
    Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    We used to go camping in a small trailer. I'm claustraphobic--not good. I didn't enjoy it. I worked all week long (after my regular job and taking care of a small child) to get everything ready. When we got to the camp site my dh "set up camp" by plugging the camper into the electrical outlet and putting the jacks under each end to steady it. My job was to set out the chairs, roll out the canopy, start the fire, cook supper. After supper it was my job to clean up while he sat. After all, we were on a relaxing weekend. The next morning while he slept I had to cook breakfast, then clean up, then lunch then clean up, cook supper then clean up. Plus make the beds, keep the camper straightened up, take care of dd. All the work of home with few of the ammenities. Then when we got home I got to clean everything. Nope, not my idea of a good time. The one time I thought I could enjoy it and took a small sewing machine he had a fit! NO, no way was I going to sew, we had to go for a hike in 90 degree heat and humidity almost as bad. Never went again. We still have the camper, it's full of RC airplanes.
    This sounds almost exactly like my camping experience except we had 4 small children that had to be watched and bathed and dressed and entertained. DH is OCD and I had to keep the campsite and the travel trailer in a certain order. I decided that camping just wasn't for me, now when DH wants to go camping with the grands I go along and stay at a local hotel and the kids that don't like the bugs and "camping" experience come stay with me at Nanna's campsite.