Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • "Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst! >
  • "Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst!

• "Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst!

Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 AM

We decided to take a tenting trip to Lake George, NY. The first night at a campsite in VT we thought it would be smart to put the tent under the trees because it was raining. Well it poured all night on our tent, even after the rain stopped, because it came off the trees. Then I got the intestinal flu and had to hike 30 times to the bathroom through the woods that I was sure contained a bear about to eat me. We were city folk then. The next night we arrived in NY and picked out the nearest motel and never looked back but still joke about our camping adventure. I should mention I had two young ones in diapers at the time as well.
    Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 AM

when we first got married, we tent camped all the time, loved it. then 12 yrs later started a family.. would go camping a little, was fun.. kids got to busy with summer sports quit going for a while.. thought we'd start back up 2 yrs ago.. hubby went all out. big beautiful camper with a/c. sleeps 10. so we load up the 8 kids we still have at home and headed out.. I went that weekend and quit. talked the hubs into going a few times more with the boys.. Then he quit...haha too much work. would rather be at home where I can send them to their rooms or somewhere not right up my rear.. maybe when we are empty nesters...not that I see that for a long time..
    Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 AM

That's a lot of kids! I think the most we camped with was 5 kids, one being just a baby. I have such fond memories of those trips though...we've played croquet in amongst the trees, we've played hide and seek at night and sung around the camfire and have played lots of card and board games that got everyone laughing and having a great time! It's quieter going with just DH, but just as enjoyable...am looking forward to many more outdoor memories before I'm done!
    Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 AM

Camped for many years when I was married.
    Tent to pop-up to 21 ft. travel trailer.

Camping now is MOTEL, A/C, & restaurants.
    Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 PM

We used to take our 2 boys camping and really enjoyed it. We started out with a tent. I was young enough then to just enjoy the weather, whatever it was. Then we went through 2 pop-ups and a motor home. We now have a 33 foot travel trailer with full kitchen, bath, and AC. We have a ball camping. Just the two of us! Now and then we take DGK.
    Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Don't be concerned about us running our generator near you, Donna. As I said, we rarely go to primitive campgrounds. In fact, it has been at least 15 years since we've been in a place without hookups. Even there we get inconsiderate folk who start their big diesels at 7 A.M., and don't leave till 9! By then, I'm not only awake, I'm barely able to breathe. We all have our problems when camping.
    Old 07-28-2010, 02:48 PM

Camping! Love it. Leaving this weekend for a 4 day camping trip - just hubby and I...still doing the tent thing.

Years ago, when the kids were little, we also camped with our beloved Basset Hound. Poor thing. She was perplexed by the whole experience but we took her along anyway. Best memory I have is of her curled up in the tent sound asleep while we could hear racoons rummaging around outside right where she was sleeping...of course, she just slept through the whole thing :) Not much of a watch dog, but we loved her anyway!
    Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 PM

Of course we do, I am sure my kids and my grand kids annoyed the heck out of people. It is just a pet peeve I have!! LOL In fact one of our best camping friends was one that ran their generator, That is how we met!! It is still our joke!! I wasn't rude just asked him what time he was going to turn it off! LOL He had forgotten it was even on! There are only 17 spots in the part of the campground we camp in There are a lot more farther from the lake. Sometimes we have to sacrifice for where we want to camp. I just called my son to OK a site I may be able to get in the morning. Our Pop Up is toast so it is back to the tent this year. Oh Oh that means breakfast over the campfire!! I wish every one could have camping experiences we sure have a lot of great memories and have made a lot of great friends!!
    Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 PM

Oh the memories of camping. From a very young age up until about six years ago. My favorites times are when we were older and brought out our guitars. Seemed as though the whole campground would find there way to our site to sing by the campfire. Met so many wonderful people camping. I am still friends with someone that I met 40 plus years ago while camping.
    Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM

My DH and I went on a back pack trip in the higher parts
    of Yosemite Valley on our honeymoon!! That started the
    whole thing for our long marriage. He was more than willing
    to do most of the work just to be able to go camping.

The very worst trip we took was when our older kids were
    visiting family, and our 4 year old was with us. It was in
    Nevada at a camping spot. Of course my husband had brought
    everything, but I forced him to leave the kitchen sink at home.
    During the night it started raining, and rained and rained for days. We woke to our son's delighted yells that he was going swimming. Needless to say, 2 inches of water was running through our tent. That's when I thanked DH for bringing his latest toys, 3 small fold up Army cots. We stayed in that tent
    so long that our son grew bored with fairy tales and we started
    on what he says he still remembers, the magic of the old Greek gods. I wonder still if he confuses them even now, with them hurling thunder bolts at each other and doing whatever magic things they did, all the while sloshing through deep water!!

It was so bad that on the same road we came in on a huge bolder slid down and pushed a car into the lake, driver not found
    till some time later. We never went back to that place!! Though I'll admit that DH's constant lists were handy things to have when you're distracted with getting ready to go camping. Once our garage freezer somehow got unplugged, with a lot of just bought meats and fresh frozen fruits I laboriously fixed for winter. We stopped storing pup tents near where they would fall over near the plug-in. But now it's fun to remember all the fun and love we had as a family, and the kids, now grandparents themselves, claim to remember our family life with love.