Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst! >

"Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst!

"Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM

When you are in the woods, Who cares if you go potty like a girl scout?!! I learned the log thingy at an early age!! LOL
Old 07-27-2010, 10:00 AM

I was sent to wilderness camp every summer from the the age of 9 till 18. The boy's dad's family camped, and he was heavily involved in Scouts Canada.

So, when we got together camping was a given.

We started out in a tent, then a pop up, and have now graduated to a 30 ft bumper pull. The indoor potty and A/C are my favoroite things!!

We are also involved in Scouts Canada with the boy's.

Stephen and I went to a big boy scout camp in May, and when I put the truck in park, it thundered on my right, and lightening struck on my left... it rained, hailed, and snowed all weekend long... plus the wind was brutal.

We went out in the trailer on father's day weekend and when Kyle and I were emptying out the holding tanks, the grey water spilled on the ground... finally watered it down enough it wasn't to nasty, and then when we were doing the black water tanks... the hose came flying off... we clamped it back on, and it came off AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! thankfully it was a clamp and we could get another one at the campground AND we only go #1 in the trailer... and I had poured laundry soap in the tank in an attempt to clean the sensors so it wasn't to bad!!! We hosed ourselves off and were on our way!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 AM

I love the great outdoors, but when bedtime comes I want to home in my comfortable bed! :D
Old 07-27-2010, 10:04 AM

My Dad used to own a little Trillium trailer. When the kids were small, we used to pull it and go camping in Maine. It was a full day's drive but we loved it. The kids knew that it was a long drive but would be lots of fun when we got there. We have such special good memories of camping there. The first few times we went we would have lobster but the kids always wanted hamburgers and such. We always slept on the kitchen table in the trailer and the kids slept on the bottom bunk. We would tie a lounge chair across so they would not fall out. In the morning we would wake up and see 4 little eyes peeking at us between the rungs. So cute!!!! We would go to the beach and when the tide went out there would be some puddles. We would put our son in the warmed puddles in his diaper. As they got older they would play in the tide pools by the hour gathering starfish and crabs. We would get bread, cold cuts and chips and that would be our lunch. It was always our anniversary when we went and we would have beer and hotdogs so we would save money for lobster. YUM!! We would pick wild blueberries and raspberries and buy pancake batter. The kids loved it. I miss that time so much but the memories are in my heart forever. Sorry this was so long.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Worst was the first time I took DD's camping they were 3 and 5. Went camping with BFF and her two kids. First night I lost my 3 yr old walking back from the bathrooms. I could hear her, but I could not find her any where with the flashlight. Finally found her in tent talking to two gay men having sex. Thank God she didn't know what they were doing. I'm still scarred for life over that one.

Next day I lost her again when she decided that the water pressure was too hard and it hurt her so she ran out of the shower without any clothes on. I had to dress and run out with shampoo in my hair to find her. Was a least two years after that before I could camp again.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have been going camping sense I was a child. My parents loved it. My Dh and our 2 oldest children love camping too (littleman has never been). Each trip was a good one except for 1 when my DS ( was about 5 then ) got the stomach virus and started throwing up in the middle of the night and was up all night long sick to his stomach and running a fever. We were well over 4 hours from home, so we decided to stick it out and he wanted to too. Every blanket and sheet we had was dirty so we had to leave the next day.
We always camped at Bretz camp ground on the side of Mamoth mountain twice a year when we were in Cali. We havent gone camping in 6 yrs, we live in Kentucky now.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
We camped for years in tents with our 4 sons. I did all the work, they hiked, fished, swam and boated in inflateables. Now empty nesters, we inherited a little motorhome, only 20 ft.. I am so glad to finally have a bed,toilet, shower, sink, fridge and stove. We don't camp much, mostly use it for trips to visit the kids. Having a bathroom with us is a very big deal in my book!

Hehehehehe My moto is HAVE POTTY WILL TRAVEL!
When we did the tent thing I rememeber worrying about black bears when I went to the potty middle of the night.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 PM

I am not a camper. I want hot running water and a shower in my tent. My DH was convinced that he could make me love it if I would just try it. I agreed to one weekend, if he would stop nagging me.

Every day I came home from work to more stuff in the living room. A four room tent, 6 new sleeping bags, 6 air mattresses, a stove, a coffee pot, a thing you could toast bread over a fire; you name it, we had it.

Off we go Friday night. We get there and the water was standing in puddles measured in feet because they had so much rain. We get the tent up and it starts to rain again. It rained the entire weekend. The tent got so saturated, it started leaking. On me, in my sleeping bag.

When we finally pack up, our boat (which we hadn't used at all because of the rain) was stuck in the mud and we almost didn't get it out.

We haven't been camping since. :thumbup:
Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 PM

The only Potty we have taken camping is the one for the little guy!! Gonna get him trained, Got 3 kids off bottles while camping, Here you go kid here is a water bottle with a spout!! Worked like a charm!!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
We camp at a rustic campground, No fancy potty no shower, no electricity or running water. They have a great well and a huge lake. I get frustrated when people with motor homes come there, they HAVE to run those darn noisy generators, Have TV's and DVD players, Yuck!! Those things I have at home!! Give me a good old rustic place anytime!! I totally would rather tent camp as then in the morning you throw your sleeping bag over your pillow, sweep out the tent and get out of their for the day. I do find the Pop up more work, There is more to do in there. I have a battery operated Sewing Machine and Maddy made her first quilt while camping at age 6. Last year it was an outfit.
I must say I agree about the generators. We are one of the big guys, and we either try not to stay in rustic campgrounds, or we try to fit in. The only time the generator is on is to watch the evening news and charge batteries. Takes about 30 minutes.