Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst! >

"Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst!

"Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:41 AM

Ok here is another one. Our first Pop up camper worked great for two years then we set it up and I was in there getting beds ready when all of a sudden it fell all the way down, Good thing their is crawling room in their! Needless to say we all slept in a little pup tent that night!!! We have been looking for a small travel trailer used of course but it seems that their is nothing around this year when we really could use it. I am tired of pop ups not working like they should. Of course we have only owned older ones. Oh I wonder what our adventure will bring this year!!

Oh I just thought of another one! The 1'st pop up the side hooks were broken that held the canvas down. My 2 year old grandson was in there taking a nap. I looked over from my lawn chair just in time to see him fall out the end. How he missed the hitch I don't know but he did and wasn't hurt, just scared, As was I. Well when I went to get up the whole bottom of my chair ripped and I ended up on the ground too. Crying baby and grandma stuck in a broken chair- Funny Picture!!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 AM
JJs
Banned

we started out as tent campers, then a van (cargo van that *I* fixed up), popup, class c, class a....
We moved to the boonies and woods in 2003 so have our own private 'campsite' and get to sleep in our own bed in AC!!
Since we moved here we don't feel the urge to go camping like we used to when we lived in town.
The one campground we went to was waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when and it was a VERY primitive place - like we were the ONLY tent campers around and had the whole place to ourselves most of the time... mice running out of the water pump (hand pump)...
We had our campsite down to a science and had everything all set up when along comes a storm and tornadoes! took us 15 minutes to get everything into the station wagon (the kids were already in there!).. the only thing we missed was the clothesline!!
Give me an airconditioned hotel with cable tv nowadays LOL
Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 AM

We used to go camping in a small trailer. I'm claustraphobic--not good. I didn't enjoy it. I worked all week long (after my regular job and taking care of a small child) to get everything ready. When we got to the camp site my dh "set up camp" by plugging the camper into the electrical outlet and putting the jacks under each end to steady it. My job was to set out the chairs, roll out the canopy, start the fire, cook supper. After supper it was my job to clean up while he sat. After all, we were on a relaxing weekend. The next morning while he slept I had to cook breakfast, then clean up, then lunch then clean up, cook supper then clean up. Plus make the beds, keep the camper straightened up, take care of dd. All the work of home with few of the ammenities. Then when we got home I got to clean everything. Nope, not my idea of a good time. The one time I thought I could enjoy it and took a small sewing machine he had a fit! NO, no way was I going to sew, we had to go for a hike in 90 degree heat and humidity almost as bad. Never went again. We still have the camper, it's full of RC airplanes.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:58 AM

I am not a camper, so we started out in a 28 ft. motorhome! Now we spend summers in Vermont and winters in Florida, in 36 feet of luxury. I get most of my quilt tops made then, because the phone isn't ringing all the time, and no one is wanting me to do things!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Used to love camping but am now way more finnicky about temperature and bugs. We did upgrade to a 33 feet class C motor home but it is intensive with 10 kids or more. No I am done camping. Maybe when all the kids are grown up. We went this summer with ten children and just the packing, cleaning and cooking is overwhelming. The good part is DH likes it and the children had a good time so I just suck it up for two weeks. There is really no space on the motor home once we are all in with clothes and supplies so I bring a book and English paper piecing. I did ask them this year if they could go without me and leave me home. Hehehehe I love people that ask me when I am back from camping with ten kids if I had a nice relaxing vacation. LOL They are clueless what it is to go camping with a larger family.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:15 AM

We camp at a rustic campground, No fancy potty no shower, no electricity or running water. They have a great well and a huge lake. I get frustrated when people with motor homes come there, they HAVE to run those darn noisy generators, Have TV's and DVD players, Yuck!! Those things I have at home!! Give me a good old rustic place anytime!! I totally would rather tent camp as then in the morning you throw your sleeping bag over your pillow, sweep out the tent and get out of their for the day. I do find the Pop up more work, There is more to do in there. I have a battery operated Sewing Machine and Maddy made her first quilt while camping at age 6. Last year it was an outfit.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70354.jpe   attachment-70355.jpe   attachment-70356.jpe  
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 AM

ahhhhhhhhhhhh camping ---------- I remember YEARS ago, we would drive to Dinky Creek in California, pitch a tent, make it cozy inside and then explore the flora and fauna around us. The smell of the pines, the feeling of freedom, the crisp air, the wonderful lake with our toes in the water looking for minnows and splashing around---THAT is the memory I WANT to keep.......BUT......DH is NOT a camper. he wants a BED, tv, kitchen....stupid me - - I convinced him to go with our 2 daughters. Well, we got to our site and Mr Happy was ddetermined NOT to have a good time no matter what!!
hm, I thought, feed him and he will feel better. I opened up the picnic basket to take out the spaghetti and started warming it up - my it was smelling yummy.....oh oh....there was a breeze.....a gentle breeze........oops, a leaf went drifting into the pot...........OH MY!! dh saw that, said we WERE LEAVING!!!HE WAS NOT EATING TREES FOR DINNER!!!!We were forced to pack up and head on down the hill..........needlesstosay, we, as a family, have NOT been camping together, but I have taken our daughters separately, and had a ball!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70091.png  
Old 07-27-2010, 07:04 AM

We only went once.

We rented a cabin in a state park. There was something wrong with the door lock and when inside we had to pry the door open with a knife. Mom was afraid we'd be trapped in a fire, so we went home before our time was up and we never camped again.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
ahhhhhhhhhhhh camping ---------- I remember YEARS ago, we would drive to Dinky Creek in California, pitch a tent, make it cozy inside and then explore the flora and fauna around us. The smell of the pines, the feeling of freedom, the crisp air, the wonderful lake with our toes in the water looking for minnows and splashing around---THAT is the memory I WANT to keep.......BUT......DH is NOT a camper. he wants a BED, tv, kitchen....stupid me - - I convinced him to go with our 2 daughters. Well, we got to our site and Mr Happy was ddetermined NOT to have a good time no matter what!!
hm, I thought, feed him and he will feel better. I opened up the picnic basket to take out the spaghetti and started warming it up - my it was smelling yummy.....oh oh....there was a breeze.....a gentle breeze........oops, a leaf went drifting into the pot...........OH MY!! dh saw that, said we WERE LEAVING!!!HE WAS NOT EATING TREES FOR DINNER!!!!We were forced to pack up and head on down the hill..........needlesstosay, we, as a family, have NOT been camping together, but I have taken our daughters separately, and had a ball!!
LOL Camping IS all about eating leaves a few bugs and poison Ivy! Bugs are Protein!! Just ask my 3 year old grandson! He recently decided Ants were a great snack! His mom had a fit!!! Now when he catches one we ask him what he is going to do with it. Usually he just pets them and lets them go. So funny to watch!! And we all should eat leafy greens!! My Husband isn't much of a camper either, He leaves and goes to work comes grills dinner and then plays cards with the boys, I do all the packing, and work at the campground but I was raised in the great outdoors and have camped since I was a baby, As have my Children. Baby #5 was 5 weeks old. What an easy age for camping!!! My grands talk about it all year long!!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:13 AM

I go camping a lot. I NEVER take the husband - he just gets too grumpy. I have taken children on my own for years, now I take teenagers and grandchildren, as well as Guides and Brownies. Do you know, I never tire of the great outdoors, and would spend most of the summer holidays in a field if I could!