1960s Marriage Guidance!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:36 AM

Ok that was funny. That said my own mother, from Europe and incredibly old fashioned was very clear on what my duties would be to my husband. I was born in the 60's mind you. She told me that I needed to be as smart as I could so I would not be embarassing to my husband and when I entertained for him he would be proud of me. Not be smart for me mind you. Also never have a messy house it reflects poorly on your husband. His needs come first at all times, make sure you look good when he wakes up (because your up first making coffee and breakfast right?) and when he comes home have your make up fixed and his meal ready. I believed her word was written in stone. While it worked when I was young and impressionable I give my own daughter different advice completely. Funny what memories you brought back with that article AHHHH almost victorian isnt it?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I was born in the 60s too! You're right, it's amazing that it's only from the 60s - must have been written just before the Sexual Revolution! :-D
Old 02-18-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I was born in the 60s too! You're right, it's amazing that it's only from the 60s - must have been written just before the Sexual Revolution! :-D
I don't remember that attitude towards women in the 60s, well certainly where I was - we were very strong minded and independent!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM

do you think it was different in the big cities than in the countryside? i grew up in new york city and was raised very differently from my cousins in upstate new york. mens' expectations were also different.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 AM

When we said our vows (1974) I refused to use the word obey. Instead I said love, honor and cherish and so did he. I think that a lot of us tried to be "Mrs. Perfect" in the beginning, but as the newness wore off, so did the kid gloves. :wink: I let my DH think he is the "Grand Puba", sometimes. But in reality, everything has been and is a joint effort.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Honey
I've got my horse and the rope ready :lol:
haha
Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
do you think it was different in the big cities than in the countryside? i grew up in new york city and was raised very differently from my cousins in upstate new york. mens' expectations were also different.
I think the difference was what was communicated to you from your own parents where ever you lived. My mother wasn't quite as bad as the instructions but she was pretty old-fashioned about men being head of the household and crap like that. And while my dad was OK with that for his wife, he wasn't having any of it for his daughters. He told us we were all going to college (sons and daughters) and could be anything we wanted to be.

It was so extreme that my mother said I should be a teacher because it was "such a nice job for a woman since you are on vacation when the kids are" and my dad said you don't want to be a teacher and have to deal with kids all day, you want to run a business or be a doctor or lawyer.

I chose to listen to my dad but it's a wonder I'm not schizophrenic with the conflicting messages from my parents. :-)
Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 AM

Women were considered property of their husbands in this part of the country in the 50"s. Had to have him sign for your medical procedures even. Thank goodness we have moved forward. I graduated from high school with home make for a science credit. Had a time when went to nursing school in the 70's and hadn't even had high school biology.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:10 AM

the difference between my parents' points of view were amazing. my father was born and raised in new york city by a mother who was raised here. my mother was raised in canada by two very old-fashioned immigrants. it was my father who insisted that i go to college. my mother thought that college money was wasted on girls because they should get married and have babies and stay home.
phtooot!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 AM
k3n
Power Poster

double phtooootttt!!! 8-)