1960s Marriage Guidance!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 AM

My mom was the more "traditional" one in our family, but she did tell me that if I let my husband think he was the boss, and "kept him happy" I could do pretty much what I wanted!! We have chuckled over that one a lot. DH will quip "don't forget to keep me happy" just to get me going. Having said that, both of my parents were education oriented. They grew up during the depression and both had to quit school to help their families. But they were self taught to the point that both of them could have held Doctorates. They pushed the importance of education constantly with us and with their grandchildren. When they retired my dad would map out a course of study every winter. He did this until he died at age 93. They were both voracious readers and encouraged us to be. All of us (9) have some sort of higher education and only one or two of 27 grandchildren don't.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

:shock: :shock: How did I miss this!!!
I have laughed so hard, my side is hurting. Especially about the part about making a "small encouraging moan" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: I can't tyype right now, have to run :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-19-2010, 05:37 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: I did take a sex ed class in high school. I remember the teacher (I was going to say she must have be 70 yrs. old, but she probably was 50). I can still remember her telling us that we should never let our future husbands see us naked and that if we let them touch our breast it might lead to cancer. I remember because that was my last day in that class. I guess I said this a little to loud, "No wonder you are divorced and have no kids." When they called my mom to tell her, she laughed so hard and told the principal that she wished she would have had that class. Then she would not have had all six of us misbehaving hellions. :lol: :lol:
Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
:lol: :lol: :lol: I did take a sex ed class in high school. I remember the teacher (I was going to say she must have be 70 yrs. old, but she probably was 50). I can still remember her telling us that we should never let our future husbands see us naked and that if we let them touch our breast it might lead to cancer. I remember because that was my last day in that class. I guess I said this a little to loud, "No wonder you are divorced and have no kids." When they called my mom to tell her, she laughed so hard and told the principal that she wished she would have had that class. Then she would not have had all six of us misbehaving hellions. :lol: :lol:
LOL
Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
Oh gosh--how funny!!!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 07:02 PM

My dad's side had women college grads very early. My GM graduated around 1915 and her 2 maiden aunts graduated college around 1900. Of course, they were all teachers! But the 2 aunts taught jr high shop in Chicago.

My mom used to say that a good wife sets the table so her husband will think dinner will be ready any minute. She doesn't say that much anymore....she knows my DH cooks plus he gets home before me! LOL
Old 02-20-2010, 05:58 AM

too cute.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:41 AM

I must admit I am a big disappointment to my mother in this area. Instead of Ph.d, she would have much preferred I was a SAHM. And I don't even know how to cook - my DH does it all. The only thing we have in common is quilting. She is just getting into it and that's nice.

But even in quilting we are completely different. She buy only enough fabric for each project and finishes it before thinking about a new one. I think the stash collecting in one of the highlights of quilting, and have 10 projects started and 20 more in my head at any given time.

Maybe I'm adopted...
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I must admit I am a big disappointment to my mother in this area. Instead of Ph.d, she would have much preferred I was a SAHM. And I don't even know how to cook - my DH does it all. The only thing we have in common is quilting. She is just getting into it and that's nice.

But even in quilting we are completely different. She buy only enough fabric for each project and finishes it before thinking about a new one. I think the stash collecting in one of the highlights of quilting, and have 10 projects started and 20 more in my head at any given time.

Maybe I'm adopted...
By the sound of you, we were separated at birth! :mrgreen:
Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Power Poster

We were married in late 1961 and I never saw this before, I was a SAHM until the last kid left home. I guess I didn't know how a wife was suppose to act. We celebrated our 48th last year and still together, we did do things different than people do today. We have changed with the times, change is always good, if both change at the same time.