2024 Eclispe

Old 03-22-2024, 05:00 PM

Default Eclipse

I’m no genius but I think they are overstating the threat for chaos during the eclipse. It’s like the forecast for a hurricane that turns out to be a rain storm.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:46 AM

I have my eclipse glasses but I just also made an eclipse viewer out of a shoebox. Super easy. Looking forward to it.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
Reading these comments about eclipse tourism is gobsmacking! I'd never thought of the potential chaos an event like this could cause in the path and feel for those of you living in those direct viewing zones. As exciting as it will be, I don't think I'd enjoy the influx of people. I'm far enough north that I'm on the periphery of the map and am not even sure we will see a perceptible light change.
I'm with you on that! I always dread when big events come to my area. It's always such a mess!
Old 04-08-2024, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by margied View Post
I’m no genius but I think they are overstating the threat for chaos during the eclipse. It’s like the forecast for a hurricane that turns out to be a rain storm.
This is kind of where I land. We had an eclipse here several years ago, the path of totality was maybe an hour south of me, and it was nowhere near the big deal that this year's eclipse is becoming. I have a theory about that. The major news networks are all headquartered on the east coast. Stuff that happens on the west coast doesn't get anywhere close to the intense coverage that stuff happening on the east coast gets. Which, TBH, is just fine with me. Lol.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:20 AM

I made eclipse boxes for me and my parents, so hopefully we get part of it!
Old 04-08-2024, 07:04 PM

Weather was beautiful today and the eclipse was amazing. I only had my phone camera so no great pics, but I have my memories. The area we are in was expecting tons of traffic and lots of tourism, but that turned into a big nothing-burger. I feel a bit badly for the mom and pop businesses that were hoping for a boost in business, but the tourism angle was WAY over hyped. We are heading home tomorrow and don’t expect any problems or unusual traffic.
Attached Thumbnails img_5308.jpeg   img_5305.jpeg  

Last edited by wesing; 04-08-2024 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:16 AM

Got to see the eclipse. I was at work. It was a very cool experience. The chaos didn't happen. The grocery stores still have food. The gas stations still have gas. I do have to say though, the traffic was unreal. Mostly locals that drove to the area of totality. I had to take a different route home just to avoid sitting in traffic in our little one light town...😲 All in all, glad it occured during my lifetime.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:13 AM

We had a very nice neighborhood gathering on our neighbors' front yard. Each brought a lawn chair and we had glasses for everyone who had brought goodies to share (indoors at my house). It felt very cozy and friendly. We cheered at totality, and we could hear other small groups in our neighborhood doing the same. There were lines on the highways and at charging stations afterwards, but most drivers were patient and just happy to enjoy the lovely day with strangers as well as friends/family.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:41 AM

I saw it at about 98%. Shared my eclipse glasses with the patient I picked up, she was impressed. It didn't get really dark here. Lots of traffic. Apparently it was still backed up at midnight. Huge lines of people waiting to use the EV chargers at a local shopping area. Hard to understand - you know how many miles you have to drive, you know the range of your car, you can look up how many chargers there are? Did you just assume you would be the only one using it? I wonder if they made it to the eclipse, this was yesterday afternoon and 50 miles south of totality . And they told people, don't bring your EV!
Old 04-09-2024, 04:08 AM

Lovely, clear sky, glasses on and a few neighbors to chat with made the event impressive and fun. No party, no traffic to deal with and no fuss. Just a terrific opportunity to watch this solar event and to tuck it away in our memory.

By the way, I read that Delta Airlines had sponsoring trips that either crossed or followed the path of the eclipse and they served, "Sun Chips" and "Moon Pies" Love that sense of humor. My daughter in Indianapolis hosted a party for her apartment complex and served only black and white food along with "Sunny D" for the kiddos and Bell's "Eclipse" Beer for the adults. Bet Bell's Brewery sold lots of the Eclipse this spring.