Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
5 Things You Didn't Know about........ >

5 Things You Didn't Know about........

5 Things You Didn't Know about........

Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 AM

1. I've been a pet groomer for 30 years, still working 4 days a week
2. Showed and bred Bouviers, owned, co-owned or bred over 35 champions, retired from that 7 yrs ago
3. I have 3 tattoos, that I don't regret getting
4. Love to camp, only in an RV
5. I dislike cooking, alot
Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 AM

1. I was born in Jackson, MS, the youngest of five, two sisters and two brothers. My Dad was working in MS when I was born and we moved back to their home town, New Orleans, when I was two years old. Have been here ever since.

2. Met the love of my life when I was 21 and he was 32. We were married almost 52 years when he passed away in 2009. We had three dgtrs and one son, the youngest is now 45. Have nine gdchildren.

3. Both of my little toes sit on top of the next toe, it is congential. Had surgery in 1977 to straighten them, but it did not work. The surgeon botched the job, he even admitted it.

4. I love to vacation where there is lots of scenery. I especially love the mountains. If I could live in another state, it would be either Tennessee or Colorado.

5. If I were younger, my wish would be to parachute out of an airplane, strapped to an instructor of course.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM

Ok, here goes:
born and raised in ND
have a twin brother and 9 other siblings
no grand kids, yet, but do have lots of grand nieces and nephews
love volunteer work but burned myself out in the 80s,90s and first part of 2000s.
found my country husband in Chicago (I found a job there as did he), we've been together 36 years, married 32 years. We are now back in Ne where he grew up via 25 years in Iowa and 6 in Ill.

Last edited by dakotamaid; 11-30-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Okie dokie;

1. one of 8 children, number 3 in line.
2. married at 18, will be married 38 years in January
3. 2 girls, took 14 years to get pregnant with the first and another 4 with the second. They are both my gifts from God.
4. Recently up and quit my job after 5 years because I wanted to! Worked as a Adm Sect'y in a at-risk high school.
5. Born in Vermont, been in Texas 51 years. (Yankee is a state of mind!!!)
Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM

This is a fun thread - so here goes:
1. I once worked for a brandy distiller - learned how to distill in an old copper pot still. Also, used to be a telephone operator - the old cord board like you see in the movies - back when we had telephone booths and real operators.
2. Have been married once and we just celebrated our 25th anniversary (I was 21 when we married)
3. Never had any biological children - I have two stepchildren but they were babies when we married - so don't feel like I missed out on anything. I am a grandma to 3 grandsons.
4. I have a sweet tooth - have to have at least one sweet thing a day.
5. Went back to college in my 30's finally got my BS in Business Administration - then I say I retired after that. My hubby and I have investments (we are self-made - started with nothing) that allow me to stay home and sew all day or read all day - both my passions.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I detasseled for 3 yrs. My mom had her own crew for several years but I didn't work for her. I worked on a family friend's crew. She was the sort that the field had to be stripped clean before she let us quit. We had alot of fun tho!
Rhonda, what is "detasseled?"
Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Oh boy, here goes...
1. My dad had wander-lust so lived all over California growing up
2. Lived in an orphanage in the Napa Valley
3. As a child, everytime I flew with my dad (the pilot), he almost crashed (hit tree tops, lost in the dark, ran out of airstrip and almost hit a barbwire fence, almost hit another plane!). Stopped flying with him once I could put my own thoughts together!
4. Married a farmer. One of the attractions: I could see the cemetery from the farm kitchen window. Yes, we still love each other even though we sold the farm and began moving again....
5. Loved running all the biggest farm machinery on the grain farm! The bigger the better.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 PM

For me:
*Had tea with the daughter of the last crown prince in South Korea (can't believe I didn't keep any information on that)
*Lived on a farm until I was 6 - and that summer watched our old house burn to the ground,
*Have 4 sisters and one brother
*Know how to use a scroll saw, lathe, and router
* Lived in Germany or Korea for a total of 12 years ( DH retired military.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 PM

1. I was born in Brooklyn, NY and have lived in Los Angeles, CA.
2. I have lived in Minnesota for over 50 years.
3. I played the accordion for 15 years
4. I started sewing when I was 10
5. I love to hunt and fish. I need to spend time outdoors.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald View Post
Rhonda, what is "detasseled?"
Here in Iowa one of our biggest crops is corn. When a cornstalk is fully mature it has a tassel at the top. We were paid to walk the field and pull those tassels. The tassel was usually above our heads so it was back breaking work. We did this to help in the pollination of the corn field. You felt like you were never going to get to the end of the row and then you just had to turn the corner and go down the next row pulling tassels as you go. You trip over weeds and find snakes and rats sometimes. Especially if there was a corn bin on the edge of the field.
A crew consisted of the leader an adult and about 10 to 12 workers. Our crew was made up of high school students. We were all classmates and close friends. The lady who was our leader was a family friend.