Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I Bet You Didn't Know I ........ >

I Bet You Didn't Know I ........

I Bet You Didn't Know I ........

Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Default I Bet You Didn't Know I ........

I bet you didn't know as a child I learned to write anything on my Etch-a-Sketch. I rarely can go by one in the store without pausing to write something fun on it for the next person to read. I challenged myself when I was a preteen to write supercalifragilisticexpialidocous on my etch a sketch. I'm am only child and spent alot of time in the car waiting on my dad etc. LOL

I love to hear how people did things when they were younger that we never would have guessed they did.

My mom had an 85 yr old friend who had been a school teacher in one room schoolhouse in the wilds of Canada and she also drove huge trucks when she was younger. This lady was about 4' 10" and weighed about 100 pounds. I would never have thought she would drive those heavy trucks!! Back then those trucks had a double clutch and weren't automatics like now.

So come on and tell us something we might not know about you that is funny or cute or interesting.
We'd love to hear something we didn't know!

Last edited by Rhonda; 10-28-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 PM

I learnt to read with my great grandmother at her side. I found out just before my father died that he had learnt in the same way. This meant we were both reading before the age of 3. For me it was wonderful as somebody who understood my terrible speech defect was compensating for it and as soon as my speech was correct,I even used to read scripture passages in church.
Well I still have a chimdey when I forget to think. But no more tish.
I just can't remember how she taught me sounds etc but it worked, she had been a teacher until she married.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 PM

I have always strived to be diffrent. I wanted to be the first female hiway patrol officer for Ne but they hired a lady right before I submitted my application' much to my parents disappointment I was the first one to wear makeup and earrrings it was a very strict church at the time. I was the first female prision officer to work on the floor in a prision where the men were not behind bars I walked among the prisioners if they so desired they could of hurt me at any time The first time I drove truck was in the 70's at that time there were very few female truckdrivers When my girls were young and there was no such thing as toe rings I made some and my girls and I wore them everywhere My daughter was the first grandchild to graduate college she later went back and got a second degree I was the first in family to have enough guts to dye my hair since then I have had everycolor in the rainbow plus the normal colors all my life I strived to be diffrent or first
Old 10-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

I have adhd and found out a few yrs ago, one of the symptoms is not knowing where my body ends. sooo, I did a lot of walking into walls, and when I was about 3-4 yrs old, I would jump off the garage roof. it was a lot of fun, and much better than jumping out of the second floor with an umbrella, that mary poppins thing never seemed to work for me. you don't sail around like they show in the movies. when I was little I wanted to drive a wrecking bsll, I gsve up about 10 yrs ago on that one. I figured it would be fun to knock things down all the time. I also loved setting fires with a magnifying glass. I was kinda a terror back then.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:55 AM

sassey, your career path is similar to mine except mine was in the fire service. When I started I was the first female on our department and for a long time the only woman fire fighter in the county, the first fire inspector we ever had and for a many years the only fire marshal in the state - there was one woman in the state fire marshals office but she wasn't a fire fighter and her authority was limited to hospitals and schools. I was a tomboy as a kid, the only kids in the neighborhood my age were boys so I fit in. The boys and I would ride our bikes to a city park in Louisville, Ky and play for hours in the drain ditch tunnels, which was very risky, storms in Louisville can come up really quick from the summer heat build up and when it rained it poured so much it would flood our streets so the drain tiles were not safe to play in. I also spent a lot of time in the summer on my grandma's farm between Elizabeth Town and Boston KY. We would go swimming in the creek to cool off but we had to take turns, someone had to stay on the shore watching up creek for water moccasins and blue racers, both terribly poisonous snakes. Grandma also had a big dapple gray plow horse that had never been saddled but that didn't matter, my cousin and I swore he wanted us to ride on him but he always objected and bucked and because we had no saddle we were always thrown off. That didn't matter, we would try at least 2-4 times before giving up! That's not risky, that's pretty stupid!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:14 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

WOW I guess my childhood was tame.. LOL I learned barrel racing from my grandparents, learned about raising a garden, sewing, quilting, and riding my bike. I was the all out tomboy climbing trees, shooting rubber band guns that type of thing !LOL
Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 AM

I met a really nice lady from Baton Rouge here on this forum. We spent a week in Destin Fl together just relaxing. She had just finished a cancer treatment and was doing well. Darn it if she didn't talk me into parasailing. It seemed like fun and was cool watching people up there. I wanted to see animal life in the ocean but we were too high up. I miss her, we were at the beginning of a nice friendship. RIP Toucan.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 AM

[QUOTE=Retired Fire Chief;6374635] I also spent a lot of time in the summer on my grandma's farm between Elizabeth Town and Boston KY. We would go swimming in the creek to cool off but we had to take turns, someone had to stay on the shore watching up creek for water moccasins and blue racers, both terribly poisonous snakes. QUOTE]

Retired Fire Chief, my nephew owns a home in Boston, KY! It has 3 acres, and 1 acre of it is pond! When you take the Boston/New Haven exit off of BG Parkway, his house is right straight in front of the stop sign at the bottom of the exit. I go there for a week in the spring while his kids are on spring break and they are gone on vacation. I have the whole house to myself, and MAN do I get some quilting done!!! LOL!

Donna
Old 10-29-2013, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I did a lot of no nos with my Uncle B! I had my first motorcycle ride with my uncle B (dad's brother) at 6 years of age on his new Harley Davidson back in 1956. Not sure if anyone on the board knows what a gyrocopter is but is a one seat helicopter. I was 10 when my uncle gave me a ride! I was little so I was able to sit on his lap and he showed me many times after that how to make it work. We were going down the highway one day when my uncle saw my parents heading back to my grandparents. (My uncle lived with them) By the time I was 12-13 years of age, I knew how to fly it. My GPs told Uncle B he needed to find a place to store it. I told my Uncle D about it and since Uncle D wanted to see it and learn to fly it, he let Uncle B store it in his barn on outskirts of town. One day the 3 of us were at Uncle D's and were taking turns flying it. That was our reckoning day! Uncle D and B flew right at radar and the sheriff was informed of a UFO. They investigated. I had just finished my turn (I was 15 at the time) when the deputy showed up, my dad showed up with my mother and Uncle D's wife, Aunt E. They all gave my uncle's a reprimand. Then I was so proud of myself. I opened my mouth and the look on their faces was priceless. My uncles started laughing. The deputy just gave them a warning because he didn't know how to write up a citation. No one got hurt! My dad gave them the whatfors! My dad stated I couldn't do it and my uncles said she just did. So I proved it. Dad got upset so I brought it down. I got upset and started to cry then took off on my Uncle B's bike, Yep the HD. I turned around and came back remembering I left my Uncle B behind. All the while some people were saying you can't do that as I was doing it. I was grounded for a long time and was not allowed to visit my Uncle B (bad influence). Miss them! He always said if "Rosy" the Riveters" can do it, you can too!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

I was and still am a chicken. I was always afraid I would get hurt.
Just wanted to be a Gramma when I was a kid. I wanted to get married and have kids and I did, going on 52 years to the same man.
I have three kids and helped raise a Granddaughter. I have six Grandkids and one step Grandson. I wanted to be a good Gramma and hopefully I am. They are 26 -11. I have three Great Grandkids too.