Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
5 Things You Didn't Know about........ >

5 Things You Didn't Know about........

5 Things You Didn't Know about........

Old 11-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
"I am surprised at some of the things you say...they don't match the image I had from your Avatar..lol"

Mostly pictured quiet smiling little old ladies with gray hair and a cat crawling about their feet! A few younger images too. But no tattoos or truck drivers....(not sure that was one tho)
A family friend of my Mom's was a little lady named Alice. She had worked in the gov offices in a local town. That was what I knew of her. She stood about 4 ft 5" tall and was slight of frame. When she attended a birthday party for one of my grands she(she was 88 then) was telling that she used to teach in a little town in the back of beyond in Canada. They had no roads and no contact with anyone but parents for long periods of time. She lived beside the one room school. When younger she also drove deucenhalves(huge trucks) in the army! Picture the troop transport vehicles you see with all the soldiers sitting in the back waving at everyone! She drove in dangerous situations and did it for several years. To look at her you would never believe she lived that kind of life!

Funny how you don't see all that in the person you are looking at!!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM

5 things about me:

1. One of my first jobs was as a butcher
2. One year breast cancer survivor
3. Got my mom into quilting
4. Was present when my niece was born
5. When watching tv, I always read a book.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:58 PM

5 things about me:

1. I met my husband in NJ through a series of unusual events; he lived in Utah at the time and I lived in PA.
2. I am a full-time RVer.
3. I love to applique!
4. DH and I are looking forward to the upcoming release of Star Wars the Old Republic, which is an MMORPG.
5. I love to read, especially science fiction and fantasy.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:25 PM

1. I also detasseled corn as a teenager, walked beans, helped milk cows.
2. Always loved horses and as a young child tamed a young steer and rode him before getting my 1st pony.
3. Raised as and still am Lutheran.
4. Worked as a legal secretary.
5. Overcame the odds with endrometriosis and we had our own biological children (girl and boy). God is great.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM

1. Born in St. Louis, Mo. , moved to St. Paul area at 9 month old and have lived in the same town for most of the last 55 years.
2. The first dance I learned was the Polka at the age of 10. Wish I could still dance more then 1 at a time.
3. I enjoy talking to the elderly because they have so many good life lessens.
4. I am happy with my own company.
5. The only musical instrument I play is the radio.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM

I was born in my Grandmother/father's house and when my dad was taking my mother there the battery fell off the car (I'm old)
My real name is Janice, but everyone calls me Pat
I have 6 kids, 4 boys and 2 girls
I found out on the delivery table that I was having twins
I worked at a major computer company as a admin assistant
Old 11-15-2011, 05:59 PM

I am 66 yrs old have 3 children , 9 grands and 2 great gands and expecting twin gr gd in the spring
2 I was a correctional officer in womens prision for total of 9 years and mens prision 7yrs where I was first female to work in mens living area also ,later workedwith criminally insane men prisioners
3 I have lived in 6 states and have moved 33 times while I was married been widowed 4 yrs
4 I have been in all the 48 lower states, Canada and Mexico
5 started work at 12 as a carhop then waitress, worked in diet kitchen in mentall insitute, direct sales, kitchen manager, correctional officer/shift manager, truck driver,

I am a born again christian and thank the lord everyday for being alive I was told over 5 yrs ago I was dying and many times since then but he knows best and I am still Alive

Last edited by sassey; 11-15-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-15-2011, 06:35 PM

1. Jobs: first paid job - picking potatoes - 50 lb sack earned $0.25. Detassled, picked up stones, picked up sticks, hoed beans (sometimes needed an axe to get the velvetleaf!). Truck stop cook & waitress through high school. Now a Manager of IT for a credit union
2. Grew up in small town southern Ontario on a farm (can you tell from the first jobs LOL!). Went to a one-room school for my first 2 years. Those schools consolidated into a larger community school - I was in Grade 3 in its first year ... our kids went to this school too - my middlest graduated Gr 8 when this school was closed and consolidated into a bigger school.
3. Married my high-school sweetheart - celebrated 30 years this year. Have 3 wonderful kids.
4. Love travelling and exploring the backroads of the Americas on our motorcycles. Have been to the east coast twice, west coast, Florida keys and many many states and all provinces! Especially love Colorado! North Carolina! Tennessee! Wyoming! British Columbia! PEI! so many favourite roads
5. Working on changing my body type - discovered that I can drag myself out of bed and to the gym for a workout before I'm even really awake.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM

1. Married 41 years to my high school sweetheart and best friend.
2. Have one son and one daughter and 5 grandchildren (4 girls, one boy)
3. Began college at age 30 and graduated with a BA at age 34.
4. Am a two time breast cancer survivor. Have had a mastectomy and 9 1/2 hour reconstructive surgery.
5.Am the most fortunate woman in the world. Love my life and wish everyone could be so happy.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 PM

Really can't explain why all these lists fascinate me, but ... they do!
1. Been married 38 years (next Wednesday). Have two children - both adopted (my endometriosis was not as cooperative). Two grandsons who are the joy of my life.
2. Checked groceries through high school and college. Made more money doing that than I did my first year to teach school. Have taught elementary music for 34 years. Also teach piano lessons after school. 22 students this year means that my quilting is done AFTER my 12 hour work days and on the weekends we are not helping with grandsons. (Son is single dad who works 1/2 days on Saturdays.)
3. My husband retired this year - early, for some reason I can't really explain and I am SOOO jealous!
4. I have a brother who has not been heard from in 27 years. No explanation - he just disappeared. A friend who is a police chief in a small town looked up records and found he got a speeding ticket a few years back so his disappearance seems to be by choice.
5. I worship with the Church of Christ and have done so all my life. Our daughter and her family do the same - attending the same congregation where my mother worships. Our son will have nothing to do with any organized religion.