Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Accutane:  Ever taken it or know anybody who has????? >

Accutane: Ever taken it or know anybody who has?????

Accutane: Ever taken it or know anybody who has?????

Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM
My husband had two rounds when he was younger, and all three of my kids had horrid acne too.

My oldest (now 24) had the best luck, he had one treatment round and very good results. Worst side effect for him was dry membranes - couldn't wear his contacts at all.

My middlest (now 22) did two rounds, still has breakouts. Also did rounds of prescribed ointments and antibiotics.

My youngest (now 20) also did two rounds, and now on antibiotics, skin quite clear now.

All under very careful and close care - monthly blood tests, strenuous warnings and pregnancy preventives!!
I think my son had a couple nose bleeds but nothing that warranted a doctor's visit. He had only one round of it and in the two years since he's only had a couple break outs that were minor compared to before.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM

My sister took it a few years ago. It worked well for her and she didn't have any major side effects. If I recall correctly, her skin temporarily became dry and a bit reddish, but I think that was to be expected. It resolved itself quickly. She hasn't had problems with acne since then. :)

I do remember that she had to sign a paper saying that she'd been advised to ABSOLUTELY NOT become pregnant, because it could (as in "would" ) cause major problems with the baby. I don't know how or if it would affect males. (?)
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM

I do remember that she had to sign a paper saying that she'd been advised to ABSOLUTELY NOT become pregnant, because it could (as in "would" ) cause major problems with the baby. I don't know how or if it would affect males. (?)
Yes, I believe it was problems with the baby if you were or became pregnant - no issue with guys becoming dads ... at least no health issues lol!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 PM

alot of people I have "talked" to on line that have taken it have had great results. But some of them say that awhile after taking it they got coliotis (sp?), intestinal problems, bowel problems, etc. That is what scares me the most.
He has been on meds since he was about 14. He is now 19. He has taken antibiotics twice a day since about 14. He still has breakouts but they are better. Not sure what to do. One day we think its a good idea then we hear about bad side effects. Grrrrrrr Its a hard decision to make
Judy
Old 07-15-2010, 05:40 PM

It is a hard decision to make but one I felt worth taking the chance with my son. He was 13 in the 8th grade and getting picked on by other kids badly. I remember him coming home really upset because he had a pimple on his nose and everybody was calling him Rudolph, he didn't want to go to school the next day so I put some of my foundation make up on his nose just so they wouldn't pick on him. I decided that day that before he started high school the next year that he would NOT be picked on because of how his face looks. He finished his freshman year of high school with girls texting him all the time! It was success for us!!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:03 PM

My g-son took accutane for about a year or more. He has had great results. His acne was so bad. Playing sports made it worse, the sweating caused the acne break out heavier.
He got blood work each month before dermatologist would
renew presciption.
Be sure to use a preputial dermatologist. Make sure the blood work is done and checked each month.
G-son is much more confident in his skin. He is 18 and heading to college next month.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 PM

My daughter suffered with acne all through her teen years...we tried everything. When she was out of college and still having major problems, the doctor offered the option of Acutane. We knew it was high risk...and high price...but there were no other options for her. She took it for a 6 month period.....went in every month for her prescription, was evaluated by the doctor and had to take a pregnancy test before they would give her the next month prescription.
Long story short....it completely cleared up her acne...as others have said, her only side effects were dry skin. her acne has not resurfaced in almost 10 years. I would recommend it if you have tried all the other options.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM

I've battled bad skin since I was a teen. It's not going away even nearing 50 years of age. Accutane was an option, but it always scared me. The side effects were lengthy. Your doc should check your blood often and make sure it's not doing any damage. I think the side effects are somewhat rare. And most treatments are quick and effective. You don't have to be on the drug long. It works quickly. Do look into it though. I know depression is one of the side effects, which is odd, right?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 PM

I was on it for 1 round, about 6 months or so. I loved the results! The only side effect I had was drier skin then before taking it. I still had minor break outs but nothing like it was. Now I used the acne free cleansers from target and get great results. :thumbup:
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 PM

I was on it for 1 round, about 6 months or so. I loved the results! The only side effect I had was drier skin then before taking it. I still had minor break outs but nothing like it was. Now I used the acne free cleansers from target and get great results.