Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Someone told me once.........."Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live".
Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
Will hit the big 50 in August & still raising my kids. Oldest (DS) will be 14 in February and DD will be 11 7 days later (still in February) Yes, I started a little late in life!!
I'm 55 and have a 10 year old son and two daughter 26 and 35. I'm ok with my age.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM

I am 43...somedays I feel older but most days I I cant figure out how my kids got to be grown when I havent aged!!!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Well I am the opposite of you folks. i hate telling my age. Mostly because I cant even believe it. Where have the years gone.
In my mind I am 35
Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 AM

I am 30 and aging like a finely made quilt :-) With love and warmth and enjoying every moment I can!
Hugs
April
Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 AM

I'm 61. I still run my own business, and I work as much as I can and have no plans to retire. However, I do wonder if my 2 daughters will ever get off the dime and give me some grandkids. Sure, I have days when I don't feel so great, but I always did. As long as you stay active and interested in something, I don't think you'll get "old."
Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
... honestly I think it so cool that there are older folks who are just as computer savvy and up to date with technology to be able to keep up with the younger generation. ...
I guess I automatically assume that older people can't be bothered to keep up with technology and I was pleasantly surprised to find how many people here are of that generation and just as capable as the rest, and with more experience on the subject at hand than I!
Originally Posted by Blockhead
Lol - guess which generation were young when home computers came to be? Guess which generation played with them, programmed them and improved them? Who were in their 20's & 30's when VCR's were invented?

I got my first PC over 25+ years ago and have used one almost daily ever since. I introduced computers & the internet to my kids, who are now older than you are.
I grant you, Baren*, those of us in our 50s and above didn't grow up with home computers.

I had a commodore 64 when I was a kid, I think those were among the first computers... didn't do much 'work', was mostly games and stuff.
Actually, they did whatever you wanted them to do. The difference is that back then, there wasn't much pre-packaged software other than games. Users were pretty much expected to program their own applications, not something most people took to. And the graphics and the Internet weren't as sophisticated - but both existed.

I would say PCs have been in most people's homes for 15 - 20 years now. Granted, my parents' generation (70s+) has more trouble with them than mine, but there are people of all ages that are savvy and others of all ages that use them without understanding them.

What's funny is that I didn't get my first PC until I was 34. But I'd learned about them back in 1980, when you had to maintain your computer yourself and program any apps you wanted (except for games and word processing - and the first computer spreadsheet had just been invented). When I got mine in 1994, I knew you could buy more apps, but I had no idea most people no longer maintained their own systems, so I set out to learn to do my own upgrades and installs and troubleshooting. It changed my life, because I ended up working in IT (not doing maintenance, though).

Well, I meant older people like, 70s and up, and I didn't mean the computers didn't do much work, just that I didn't do much work :)

That being said, my uncle, who died about 2 years ago and was in his 80s, was the biggest computer genius I have ever met. And I have several friends who are computer geeks.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM

No problems with my age! I'm 53...54 in November. Hubby is 42..and I have two sons ages 36 and 30...two stepdaughters ages 21 and 19. Seven grands ranging in age from 19 to 18 months. (Mom at 16, Nana at 34!!)
Old 01-04-2010, 02:30 PM

I forgot! :wink:
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM

Well, I meant older people like, 70s and up, and I didn't mean the computers didn't do much work, just that I didn't do much work :)

That being said, my uncle, who died about 2 years ago and was in his 80s, was the biggest computer genius I have ever met. And I have several friends who are computer geeks.
LOL, okay (re 70s & up). I imagine you were too young to do much work on the computer in those days.

Very cool about your uncle - sorry to hear he died. Of course there were computer geniuses even in the '40s & '50s, but back then, you almost had to be a genius to deal with computers.