Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Aging Stars Reality Problems >

Aging Stars Reality Problems

Aging Stars Reality Problems

Old 01-27-2012, 11:46 AM

I think the Brit's have us whipped on this subject. They seem to appreciate the aging and continue to show them on their tele, while we keep going for the younger and more stupid stuff. Stupid, see my age is showing.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:07 AM

I was pondering this idea recently. We have been sold the idea that getting older is a bad thing. Whether male or female. If you are 60 you must look act, and feel 30 or there is something wrong so you need to get work done , take pills or diet some crazy way , exercise crazily. You must show your bones or you are fat. You are also not allowed to be sad or feel grief (for more than the alloted time) . Sounds like the old song. Everything you think, do and say is in the pill you took today.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 AM

This is all so true. The one thing I have always done is try to eat right and watch my weight with out obsessing about it. Sure I am not the same as I was when I grauduated high school, but who is? But I look my age. Just last night the lady behind the deli counter at the grocery store told my husband he had a beautiful wife. Boy that made me feel good. My husband tells me that all the time...but he is jaded...so it was nice to hear it from a stranger. I wouldn't trade places with the stars at all. Sure I would like to have more money, who wouldn't? But I wouldn't want to be a movie star and be in the public eye all the time. I value my privacy too much.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:02 AM

There are some actresses that have refused to do anything to enhance youth. Meryl Streep and Jamie Lee Curtis come to mind. They are blatant in their refusals. Last summer I decided to quit with the hair color. I like the gray in my hair. I earned every strand.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 AM

I think Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep, and Maggie Smith are at the opposite ends of that spectrum. Beautiiful, aging gracefully, still at it, and rich!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I think too many have bought into the Hollywood, "You can't be too thin." Yeah, you can! Skin and bones is not attractive to me. I feel sorry for them that they think that their outside appearance is all that is valueable.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 AM

I will be 50 in a couple of months and it matters not at all to me. What saddens me about the Demi issue is that she seems to be spinning out of control because she feels that if people really knew her they wouldn't love her. She seems to have no sense of self-worth.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 PM

I feel sad for both of them. I think age is a state of mind & you are as young as you feel. Seems both of them, I think, were taking something & had bad reactions to it. I have always felt sad for anyone, who has to take something to make themselves feel better, or get high, maybe. Most of us know there are other ways to get high on life, like our quilting, right! Now, on the other hand, speaking of older women, I saw Meryl Strepp on Letterman last night & she was great, & looked great too. That woman is amazing, & seems quite intelligent too.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Age is more than a state of mind when parts of your body start to wear out. However, we choose our attitude.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Demi rejected her age years ago when she married a man 15 years younger. If you look at a photo study she also was behaving "young", never maturing gracefully. Her weight loss is due to distress of the break up and use of drugs to over come her depression. She has lost her bearings. It is a sad outcome.