Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For all your dog lovers out there (like me)

For all your dog lovers out there (like me)

This was in the newsletter of the place where we adopted Leo from (that sentence sounds convoluted, but you know what I mean... I hope). Personally, I couldn't agree more.

It's Just a Dog

From time to time people tell me, "Lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "That's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and, in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that makes me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me, and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile....because they "just don't understand." and keeps me from being "just a human."
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Power Poster
    dogs - and cats - are sometimes better companions than the two-legged ones

I couldn't agree with you more on everything.. I look forward to picking him up on the way home.. I also was up at 6:00 scrubbing the living room rug, as my best friend climbed off the bed, and peed on the carpet.. All I could think of saying was "what the h--l were you thinking" Of course he tries nt to look me in the eye... Ughhh

I live with three...things go really well until I try to buck their authority...LOL!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    I live with three...things go really well until I try to buck their authority...LOL!
    Sounds like my house! My kids say to me all the time "You let the dog get away with tons more than we EVER got away with" -- to which I reply "And your point is...?". I just cannot imagine my life without a dog!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I am fairly new to this board, so I apologize if this is a repeat. If you love dogs and have not seen this video or visited the site, you will be in for a real treat.
    http://www.godanddog.org/GoDandDoGStore.html

Blog Entries
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

We provide dogs with warm comfortable homes, plenty of good food and water, a variety of toys and blankies. We take them for walks even if we are tired and don't feel like it, and share our secrets with them. But the best part of being owned by a dog is that we get to make fools of ourselves over them and do it gladly just for the wag of a tail or joy they display when they see us. We are the lucky ones.

Animals are more honest with their emotions than humans.

well put. I can't imagine not having my 4-legged son!

We don't currently have a dog, but several grand-dogs. If you love dogs, read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. It will be a movie soon, but reading it gets you into the dog's head, which is what this is all about. Totally changed the way I look at dogs, though I always knew they are thinking a lot more than you can tell.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Blog Entries
    Sitting here with my toy chihauhau tucked down in my flannel shirt snoreing. Just a dog, I don't think so, she has wokred hard at training us and has been quite successful, if I do say so myself. She can throw a ball and get Papa to fetch it for her even. Just a DOG, I don't think so. She even has the cats trained, who by the way, are not '' Just Cats'' either.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    This was in the newsletter of the place where we adopted Leo from (that sentence sounds convoluted, but you know what I mean... I hope). Personally, I couldn't agree more.

It's Just a Dog

From time to time people tell me, "Lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "That's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and, in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that makes me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me, and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile....because they "just don't understand." and keeps me from being "just a human."
    Maybe just a dog for some people but sometimes that is only friend some elderly people have,they are frail and get out like they use to and personally my dogs are my family also not just a dog.They are awesome and sometimes better to us than the human species.Use mess with my dogs and you mess with my double barrell.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

I love my dogs and prefer their company over "others" They always make you smile and ask so little from you....yet give you so much in return.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Give me "just a dog or "just a cat" any day. I prefer them to most of the 2 legged "friends(?)" I have. I can talk to my dog, cuddle with my dogs, sleep with my dog, walk with my dogs, They are with me when I am on the computer or when I am sewing or when I am gardening or when I am reading. There is nothing like having a dogs head in your lap so you can play with the ears when you are reading. They keep me warm in the winter and company when my DH travels. They keep me feeling safe-from people, deer, birds, raccoons and windy windows.
    I'll take my "just a dog" thank you!!!

We lost our dog, Lizzie, on March 3rd. That left a HUGE hole in our hearts. She wasn't 'just a dog', she was the 'light of our lives'. I honestly think that dogs are the closest thing to Jesus walking this earth -- complete, unconditional love.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    sometimes ?

Blog Entries
    I just loved this, thank you!

This is so true. We have 4 dogs and 2 cats. They are just small people with fur. Each has a distinct personality and a different way of loving us. In fact, I asked my husband just last night if he thought it was a sin to love them like we do. He immediately said no. Two of them are expensive purchases and 2 of the dogs and both cats are rescues. There is no difference. They are all precious, adorable and full of love. If you aren't an animal person, you are truly missing out on one of God's best gifts to us!

I couldn't agree more. I can't imagine not having my furbabies in my life (but mine are cats). LOL

I had a boyfriend who told me my dogs couldnt sleep with me when he came that they werent even allowed in my room and that they were just animals and could sleep at the back door or outside at night. I handed him a blanket and a pillow and told him there was a tarp outside and i hoped he found it comfortable. Dogs were here first and are staying..... did he really think l would pick him over them not in this lifetime...my babies are still with me and he is gone lol... I got the better end of this deal..

Thank you so much for sharing this... l even read it to them they are all on the bed with me while l am on the computer

Regina
    Last edited by regina1062; 06-01-2012 at 10:20 AM.

I have a little chihuahua who thinks she is an 85 pound pit bull!! She rules the roost over 2 scotties and one corgi.
    She's almost 5 now and I have had her since she was about 5 weeks old. I love her so much and she is my constant companion. Whatever room I am in, there she is. In fact she's in her little bed right now here in the computer room at my feet. (yes, computer ROOM. My SIL is a computer wizard and works in security for the University Hospital, and we have 7 computers in this one room...LOL) There is no more loving or loyal companion that our little 4 legged fur babies.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Blog Entries
    I agree. I don't trust people who don't like animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sew4nin View Post
    I am fairly new to this board, so I apologize if this is a repeat. If you love dogs and have not seen this video or visited the site, you will be in for a real treat.
    http://www.godanddog.org/GoDandDoGStore.html
    Awesome! Here's another site that I visit every day & would really encourage y'all to do so also (it feeds dogs for free) ---> http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3&ThirdPartyClicks=ARS_linktous_125_01
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by watson's mom View Post
    We provide dogs with warm comfortable homes, plenty of good food and water, a variety of toys and blankies. We take them for walks even if we are tired and don't feel like it, and share our secrets with them. But the best part of being owned by a dog is that we get to make fools of ourselves over them and do it gladly just for the wag of a tail or joy they display when they see us. We are the lucky ones.
    What a wonderful, beautiful, TRUE sentiment!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast