Always Check Receipts

Old 10-16-2022, 05:17 AM

Default Always Check Receipts

When I needed more color choices for my rose twirl project, I headed to the fabric store when they opened at 9:00. It was so fun filling my cart with the bolts of color that I needed. I had to empty my cart onto the cutting table explaining that I wasn't finished shopping yet. I had lots of bolts, but I only needed 1/4 yard from each. It took an hour. The cutting people were great; one person scanned info while others did the cutting--very efficient.
I was a little shocked at the total, but I had lots of cuts.
When I looked at my receipt at home, I was shocked! There was a charge for 25 yards, not .25 yards! I had to drive back into town to get my $86 refund! The same people that cut it were there, so no problem.
Attached Thumbnails ja-receipt1.jpg   ja3.jpg  
Old 10-16-2022, 05:27 AM

I usually try and do the math in my head before check out. Just want to make sure I get charged somewhere in the ballpark before leaving. Glad you were able to return to the shop quickly and the workers were still there.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:40 AM

yep, i was there recently. went grocery shopping and got some canned cat food. I was charged for 118 cans!! Not the 18 I got in one box (lid) and the other six were charged correctly. But $96.00 of cat food!! really? I too had to drive back. the poor clerk was required to enter each price for each over charge into their computer/cash register. Talk about falling asleep. But human error is human error.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:50 AM

I recently bought fabric for my grandson's graduation quilt. When she told me $87, I thought that sounded pretty cheap, but I had a 20% discount from the rewards program. When I got to the car, I checked my receipt. She hadn't charged me for 2 yards of fabric. Back inside I went (No easy task when walking with a can and standing for any length of time is difficult.). They were very surprised that I came back in to pay for the fabric since I no longer live in that town and had gone there while visiting friends knowing I would be able to easily find 6 shades of blue batiks from light to dark.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

debstoehr, that is so commendable! I bet the salespeople were shocked ! You could have so easily rationalized that it was their fault but you didn't. I love this!
Old 10-16-2022, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

I tired to explain to one sales clerk at the long gone Handcock's Fabric store that she gave me too much change back. I gave her a $10 and she gave me back change for $20. She said no you gave me a $20 bill. I kept insisting I gave her only a $10 bill. She said fine, took the change back and handed me a $10 bill. She said now we are even. I just left.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:20 PM

A month or so ago Bernina had a sale something like "25% off two accessories" so I headed to my local shop and bought two presser feet along with additional items like fabric, etc... When I got home I looked at the receipt and realized their new employee had applied the 25% discount twice and against my entire order - it was about $80 short of what it should have been. They were closed the following day but I called 1st thing the following morning to have them charge my card the corrected amount. Bugged me for a day and a half until it was fixed...
Old 10-16-2022, 05:54 PM

I watch pretty carefully when I am being rung up. We recently bought tile that was $17.00 a box. We bought 4 boxes. We also bought a box of mosaic tile trim, which is $66.00 a box. All the boxes are the same size, so she just scanned the top box 5 times. I told her about it, and she said ..".oh...don't worry about it. I get in trouble when I do this!" I said, I'm sorry, but I need the mosaic to appear on the receipt in case we decide to not use it, I need to be able to return it. She still didn't want to call a manager over to void the sale. Really wonder sometimes!
Old 10-17-2022, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I have had some bigger stores not want to redo in undercharging, seemed a hassle to them and made me feel like I was causing a lot of trouble.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:46 PM

I was shopping at Walmart and did the self scan. One item would not scan so I called clerk over and she couldn't get it to scan so I decided not to purchase it. Finished the order and left. I got about 30 miles away from the Walmart and got to thinking about my purchase and pulled over to check the receipt. Guess what I didn't pay for it. So I turned around and went back to Walmart. The clerk that helped me with the self scan was still there. I told her that I didn't run my credit card through and I still owed for the order. She told me that she didn't see me do anything wrong. I insisted that I pay for my items around $300.00 worth of items and she finally sent me to customer services and they found a copy of my receipt and I paid for my merchandise. I had to live with myself even though the clerk told me that she didn't see me do anything wrong. I wonder how many times she did that for friends.