Amongst the hobblers here

Old 09-26-2010, 07:19 PM

I broke my leg last Sunday - stepped up (3") onto a concrete picnic pavilion platform and happened to hit the only spot that was patched and slippery from the overnight rain. My feet went out from under me and down I went. DH is sooo clueless - doesn't think how much I'm hurting still; leaves lights on, TV going, dirty dishes in sink - not into dishwasher. I try to cook from a barstool at the stove, have to ask him to reach something for me or I have to transfer to my walker to get it myself. Sure hurts wrists, elbows and shoulders to try hopping around with a walker (tried crutches, but too off balance with the cast).Anyway - you have my sympathy I REALLY know how you're feeling - hope we're both over this ASAP - 6 to 8 weeks is going to be a long time!!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
I broke my leg last Sunday - stepped up (3") onto a concrete picnic pavilion platform and happened to hit the only spot that was patched and slippery from the overnight rain. My feet went out from under me and down I went. DH is sooo clueless - doesn't think how much I'm hurting still; leaves lights on, TV going, dirty dishes in sink - not into dishwasher. I try to cook from a barstool at the stove, have to ask him to reach something for me or I have to transfer to my walker to get it myself. Sure hurts wrists, elbows and shoulders to try hopping around with a walker (tried crutches, but too off balance with the cast).Anyway - you have my sympathy I REALLY know how you're feeling - hope we're both over this ASAP - 6 to 8 weeks is going to be a long time!!
Oh My Gosh! I am so sorry about your leg! That is awful. I understand about the crutches...I'm pretty wobbly using them so I just won't for now. It has certainly shocked me how my balance seems so off. It's strange. I hope you recover quickly & find helpful ways to do things. Each day is a learning experience. We will make it through it, but hope we do not ever have to repeat it. :thumbup: I will be thinking of you. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 AM

That was my biggest prob too. Impatientience. It does force one to be more patience because you just can't do it so I would tell myself might just well not cry about it. I shed a lot of tears believe me. Not from pain physically. I kind of like left foot pedal sewing now. I now have a Birkenstock sandal on my right foot (broken one) after I loosened the straps all the way. I have a high instep and with swelling, I could not get anything on but a sock of hubby's. So progress has been made. So there is hope. Meanwhile, do a lot of planning and sewing by hand. Games and reading were my lifesaver as I am not much of a TV person. Be careful when you are alone. I dropped a glass on the bathroom floor and it shattered in a million pieces. Hubby was nearby thank goodness. The only reason I had it in the bathroom was I had to stop on my way to the kitchen and thought I could carry it in my waistband. HA!

Originally Posted by Gramof6
Thank You for the kind replies, tips & advice. I am going to try to use my left foot on the machine pedal & see if that will work. If not, I have a lot of handwork I need to do, but have been putting it off. Know how that goes? LOL I am just a very impatient person and this may help me learn more patience. LOL It could have been so much worse. I expected to pull a flat pancake out from under that bench top. I am very lucky. This too will pass. Until then I am going to make good use of my down time. Lord knows with the holidays around the corner, I will be off & running like a wild rabid badger when I get the all clear. LOL
Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM

Oh my Gosh! You too? I am so sorry and I know how painful and miserable it is. My hubby was clueless too but he did run the dishwasher a couple of times and did cook dinner most every night. I can't carry anything hot (or much cold either). I hate the walker but the wheelchair gets old too. And crutches are good once you are better with balance and can put some weight on it. My biggest complaint was hubby disappearing to the garage and leaving stuff in my way. You will get past it but oh I feel so bad that now two of you are down as I am getting over my injury. Sending hugs to both of you.

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 AM

Oh I want to say a friend made an apron thingy for me but it did not work on me so I put it around the front of the walker and it had big pockets and I carried some things that way. I still use it.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:29 PM

Gram of six and Franie - thanks for the sympathy, I guess I was having my own little pity party. It's sure hard not being able to do what you want when you want. My sewing room is in our basement, so won't see that for a while. My sister is coming over Wed. and I'll have to send her on a scavenger hunt for some of my hand applique projects to keep me busy. Gram - hope you feel better pretty soon.