Ancestry anyone?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:18 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I did Ancestry DNA a couple of years ago and found I am so British/Scottish/Scandinavian it's almost embarrassing. There is a small amount of western European and smatterings - virtually negligible amounts - of Mediterrean/eastern European genes for me. I am Viking to the core, LOL!

I did find out lately that my Scottish family lines (numerous on both my parents' sides) are directly traceable to Robert The Bruce, whose original name was Robert VIII de Bruce. He was also called Robert I. Born in 1274 he became King of Scotland from 1306 to 1329 (when he died). He freed Scotland from English rule.

Always "knew" I was 'somebody', LOL!

Jan in VA
Old 02-01-2018, 11:08 PM

For privacy reasons and concerns about how the DNA would be used, I have no interest at all in having DNA testing done.

About 30 years ago a distant family member did a family tree, back before the internet, on my maternal grandfather's side. It went back about 300 years in Canadian (Nova Scotia) History. Other than that I know when my maternal grandmother's family came to Canada. Dad's parents were both immigrants. I do not need to know more.

I am more concerned about the actions of people today than laying claims on people from the past.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
I found out recently that many libraries have accounts with Ancestry so you can log into your membership that way for free. A relative says when she finds something(birth-death certificates, etc) that she wants to save she emails it to herself from her logon at the library. Haven't tried it myself but found a nearby library with it and plan to do it soon.
Thanks for the tip about library logons to ancestry. I'll have to check into that.

I've dabbled with genealogy for years. Initially for DH's family as they are rather extensive and pervasive locally. A cousin of his has done a tremendous amount of research that used to be online but I haven't been able to locate it lately. I have old printouts thankfully. Recently one brother has become very interested in our family and have been working with him and one of our cousins on our family. Very frustrating that ancestry has sucked up most of what used to be free sites.

As someone else mentioned, no interest in doing DNA as I don't want them to own it. Who knows what they ultimately may do with that info.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
For privacy reasons and concerns about how the DNA would be used, I have no interest at all in having DNA testing done.

About 30 years ago a distant family member did a family tree, back before the internet, on my maternal grandfather's side. It went back about 300 years in Canadian (Nova Scotia) History. Other than that I know when my maternal grandmother's family came to Canada. Dad's parents were both immigrants. I do not need to know more.

I am more concerned about the actions of people today than laying claims on people from the past.
Not wanting to lay claims on people from the past! Just find it interesting to know the names of my 'people' and wonder what life was like for them in the time that they lived. I am sure that there are less than 'savory' people in everybody's genealogy! No worries!

I have more of an interest in world and Canadian history now than I did in school (way back when!).

I too am interested in peoples actions, and that is why I pray for my kids and grand kids everyday! That will influence the present and the future!

Just sayin'!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:52 AM

After observing physical traits and "looks" in my family, both sides, I have concluded that in my grandparents' generation, hard times called for desperate measures. I don't think it was unusual for a child to be conceived by someone other than the husband. Maybe the husband was aware, maybe he wasn't.
Both my grandmothers bore a child that did not look like its siblings in the least. And definitely not like Grandpa. I do know my maternal grandfather had to be gone for long periods of time, following the timber trade, and Grandma was left with a bunch of kids to support. What would she have done if a "better off" neighbor man asked her to do "work" for him? Her kids were hungry.
The other grandma actually left Grandpa for a few months. She bore a "not like the others" child after she came back home.
Just saying, getting a DNA test might open up a can of worms.
In my DH's family, DNA testing revealed a different branch of the family that probably caused the patriarch to roll over in his grave. Hehe!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:05 AM

I have accounts on Ancestry and My Heritage. I've traced my father's side of the family back to the 1200's. Mostly English, Irish, and Scottish on my father's side. I'm having trouble finding out anything past my great-grandfather on my mother's side.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:07 AM

On a recent radio talk show there was a discussion about the Mormon religion and ancestry.com which they "own". In the discussion it was mentioned that all names brought up for search are then "proxy baptized" in the Mormon faith.....no permission is needed from anyone is needed I guess.....
like tothill, can't change my past....but can work on my present! For the future....
Old 02-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
After observing physical traits and "looks" in my family, both sides, I have concluded that in my grandparents' generation, hard times called for desperate measures. I don't think it was unusual for a child to be conceived by someone other than the husband. Maybe the husband was aware, maybe he wasn't.
Both my grandmothers bore a child that did not look like its siblings in the least. And definitely not like Grandpa. I do know my maternal grandfather had to be gone for long periods of time, following the timber trade, and Grandma was left with a bunch of kids to support. What would she have done if a "better off" neighbor man asked her to do "work" for him? Her kids were hungry.
The other grandma actually left Grandpa for a few months. She bore a "not like the others" child after she came back home.
Just saying, getting a DNA test might open up a can of worms.
In my DH's family, DNA testing revealed a different branch of the family that probably caused the patriarch to roll over in his grave. Hehe!
sounds familiar. My great grandmother came over in steerage to connect with her husband who came first to get settled. My grandmother was the oldest child and I think there was one after her who made the trip. They were very poor. My great grandmother got off the ship pregnant. She was no glamour girl. My grandmother remembers that there was no food and her mother did what she needed to do to feed the children. They always referred to that daughter as "the ship's". The great grandparents went on to have 3 more daughters.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 AM

Tracing family history is looking to people in the past. Where did I come from? Who was my father's father, or grandfather? What hardships did they flee Europe from? How did a man who spoke no English come here, serve in our Civil war, and raise 17 children? Unlocking these mysteries is fascinating. Following their journeys, through famine, wars, death and hard work makes me proud to lay claim to them. I came from them!

I had my DNA done, and I personally don't care what "they" do with it. I authorized use of mine for additional medical research anonymously. My DGS is moderately deaf, which they have determined to be genetic in nature. If research can help, I'm in.

My point is, it is what you make it. I have loved and embraced everything I have found...the good with the "bad". It's my history, unique to my family. I make new discoveries every day!!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:04 PM

Great attitude, Anniedeb!