Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Annoying telemarketer phone calls >

Annoying telemarketer phone calls

Annoying telemarketer phone calls

Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I had to turn the voice mail option off because my husband couldn't get to the phone quickly and never could retrieve the calls. but most times i get to look at the ID and quickly hang up on calls. then report them to the Do not Call list-again. for awhile we got over 20 calls a day. reporting does keep them down but not enough. zero would be enough!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:10 PM

I have a question--how do they know who is sending the return envelopes stuffed full of junk mail? Do you send their own advertising back to them with your name on it? I'm just curious, and maybe would try that with junk mail. The phone calls have pretty much been taken care of since I don't answer unless I recognize the number. Lots of good ideas here, and some funny ones.
Sue
Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
When you don't recognize the number don't answer, its that simple. By answering you are saying "Yes, I like being annoyed by you". After awhile they take you off the call list because it's a lost it's waste of time and time is money. If you answer they think there's always that chance that you might say yes to whatever they are selling. So basically your making your own issues. You've no one to blame but yourself. Self control, patience and not answering will solve your problem. I had the same number call me for 6 months, once in the morning and once in the evening, they never left a message, I never answered. Finally they quit calling. It's like the guy that knocks on your door with a clipboard, you know he going to try to sell you something . I peek out the window, see the strange man with a clipboard and no vehicle in my drive, I'm not opening that door. He goes away! Magic! Now if he were holding balloon and a large check that would be different. Telemarketing companies have the research to prove that people do still fall for the old tricks. If people quit answering the phone they would eventually go out of business.
I don't think I'm creating a problem for myself. I have people calling me from their cell phone numbers to my house phone and they sometimes come up as "private caller". I don't know everyone's number by heart so I take a chance sometimes of answering. I usually don't say things like this but...I think you were a little rude with your comment.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 PM

When my husband and I got new cell phones, Verizon wouldn't let us keep our old numbers (we went to pre-paid because it was cheaper). So we got new numbers that had obviously been "recycled" from previous use. We were getting telemarketing and scam calls out the wazoo, at all hours of the day.

I accidentally stumbled upon a hilarious idea that might stop them, and it actually worked!

1. Put the number on the Do-Not-Call list.
2. For my voice mail recording, rather than saying "You have reached blah blah, please leave a message", I recorded this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BVbyCZXc5s

I told my friends and family about it so they wouldn't think my phone had actually been disconnected, and they can still leave a message normally after the "greeting" stops playing.

The scammers and telemarketers hear the "disconnected" message and hang up, and since they think the number isn't valid, they take it off their list. I suspect the computer-dialed numbers "listen" for this message, and mark the number as being disconnected.

Within just a few weeks, the calls STOPPED.

To take care of any repeat offenders, I downloaded a free app called Mr. Number that lets you block calls. You can choose whether to hang up, or to send the call to your voice mail. I chose voice mail, so they go straight to the "disconnected" message without my phone ever ringing. Obviously the app wouldn't work on a landline, but it works great for cell phones.

Last edited by moonrise; 08-26-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
my husband works in construction industry for major multinational. frequently he calls and the CID says "unknown name, unknown number" ..i do a mental coin toss --is it him? is it the comapany & he's hurt? ..or is it another £#^{'¥>**# !!! telemarketer ... so ..i answer the phone. he doesn't know why the thing happens. he doesn't have anyone at this DOE jobsite to ask whyfor's of. we just deal w it. and the telemarketers get an ear full
A business situation is different, of course you have to answer the phone everytime , that's just good business sense. But in a home only environment most people have some type of answering service. True emergencies and people who really want to talk to you will leave a message. I guess I have compassionate family and friends that understand my reasons for not answering the phone when they come up as private or unavailable on the caller ID, they just leave a message and they don't find me to be rude. Of course by calling me rude they realize that they are being rude and no one wants that on their Karma. So to clear my karma maybe instead of saying " You've no one to blame but yourself" in the statement above I should have said "I've". My intentions were to help not to offend.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

on one of the few occasions i use my cell phone and call home, the caller ID shows it as Brighton, CO. I don't live near Brighton!! how that got on there is beyond me. So sometimes we must answer. One day i will do away with my land line phone.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:12 AM

I also had the caller ID show my own number. Now I know what it really is.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I love caller id. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer.

It took me a little time to find this on youtube but it is hilarious and a terrific way to deal with a telemarketer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cpzLxYnpG4
OMG!!! This is hilarious. ....
Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 PM

I guess it is a job for them but I still feel since I pay my phone bill they should leave me alone! I do not intend to donate my car, buy their insurance, etc. I like to support causes that are close to my heart and I wish the "Do not call" list included those annoying people.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM

I blocked certain calls through my phone system and when they call again, my phone says "blocked". I hope they get the message and don't call back. They may change their phone number and try again, but for now it works. When I don't recognize a number, I listen to see if they leave a message. If they mention my name, I may pick up if I choose to talk to them.