Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another SCAM

Another SCAM

I was looking over my credit card statement and noticed there was a charge for $7.99 from Netflix. That surprised me since I closed out that account over 2 years ago. I asked the CC company why the 4 digit number was different then my current 4 digit number but never got an answer to my question. They mailed me out another card. But this kept churning in my mind. Next day I called the credit card company again and low and behold, they told me it was a discontinued card that was replaced for unknown security reasons that they would not disclose. Then why did they accept the old discontinued card years later?? I called Netflix and they immediately cancelled the account and refunded the fraudulent charges. So beware, your old cancelled or closed account are out there with old CC numbers just waiting to be hacked.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

At least Netflix did right by you. Seems like the credit card company should offer a better explanation...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I totally agree! Sounds almost like someone who works there maybe the scammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    At least Netflix did right by you. Seems like the credit card company should offer a better explanation...

Blog Entries
    my Discover card company lets Memory lane (Classmates) put a chrg on yearly. To my new number too. Even though I closed this account several times over the last five years. 59.00 chrg, I would get $11.00+ refund from Memory Lane. even though i complained immediately. They all do it. so much for credit card companies keeping an eye out for us.

After the Home Depot fiasco a few months ago, my bank automatically issued new cards for those who had used their cards at Home Depot. Great customer service!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Go to your bank which issued your card, not the CC company, each time this happens and let THEM initiate a fraud report. THEY will call the offending company and quickly make it right. You don't have to.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I've never had a problem with that with either Discover, Chase or Bank of America. I just call them and report a fraudulent charge and they take care of it. Calling the vendor who has already charged something fraudulently to your card is probably not going to help. Reporting the fraud to the credit card company will get their attention. If they don't fix it, tell you want to close the card. There are tons of credit card companies out there that would love to give you a card.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Our bank catches fraudulent charges on our credit card very efficiently. They notify us right away. It has happened twice in the past two years. The first time someone used our number in California at Burlington Coat Factory and a few other places. We live in Florida The second time it was the Home Depot thing.
    Another time, they called us at 11:00 at night to check to see if we had used our card that evening. I had bought a very expensive computer and printer and a pair of jeans. The bank wasn't used to seeing such large amounts on our cards. I thanked them and assured them that we had made the purchases. I had to tell the representative what we had bought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropical View Post
    Our bank catches fraudulent charges on our credit card very efficiently. They notify us right away. It has happened twice in the past two years. The first time someone used our number in California at Burlington Coat Factory and a few other places. We live in Florida The second time it was the Home Depot thing.
    Another time, they called us at 11:00 at night to check to see if we had used our card that evening. I had bought a very expensive computer and printer and a pair of jeans. The bank wasn't used to seeing such large amounts on our cards. I thanked them and assured them that we had made the purchases. I had to tell the representative what we had bought.
    I've had the same experience with my credit card company. One time I had forgotten to call them to let them know that my husband was going to Scotland and to expect some large charges for flight and hotel. They called asking about a $1700 charge from a Pub in Scotland - I laughed and told them husband had a great time at the Pub the previous night all the while knowing that the place he stayed was an Inn with a Pub and that the charge was for his room. OK'd the charge, told them there maybe more. I always appreciate them calling and I always check my accounts online about weekly or more frequently if we have been using them. It just seems like no matter how careful you are card numbers get compromised.

If I have a large purchase to make or go out of town and use my card, I learned to call the cc company and let them know in advance and make a note on my account. I made a purchase in another state and they put a hold on my account. That is when I learned to call them first.

I just found out last month that someone had stolen my SS# & was using it for Federal tax purposes. Had to go to the IRS office & file so they could put a red flag on my #. Also had to file with the local sheriffs office, & report it to the SS office & the Federal Trade commission. Then went to our Bank & told them about it & they put a block on our account. So now when we leave this area, we have to go in personally to let them know where we will be & will be using our card. We can not just call & tell them. We have to go in person & let them know where our card may be used. If they do get a charge they are concerned about, they will give us a call & if we don't answer, they will shut down our account & we will have to go it to get it started back up. The way I found out about my SS# is that I got a letter from the IRS saying that I had claimed someone on my 2013 tax return that had already been claimed by a spouce. I knew something was up big time as My DH & I always claim jointly & we had not even filed in 2013 as he was injured on the job in 2012 & has not worked so we had no taxable income. All this kind of stuff really ticks me off. We have laws about people doing these things, but they don't up hold them. They say the jails are to crowded. Well, I say pack them in like sardiens if need be. The reason it is getting so bad is everyone knows they can do it & get away with it with just a slap on the hand. If they had to suffer big time for their crime, they may think twice before doing it again. Sorry for rattling on so.

" We have laws about people doing these things, but they don't up hold them. They say the jails are to crowded."
    I believe most of the scams are originating outside the U.S. and our officials cannot track them down, nor do anything to the perps if found. We cannot prosecute in another country and those gov'ts won't cooperate with us. That is what is so frustrating about the ID thefts. Additionally, when your info is stolen, the users will usually wait up to 6 months before attempting to use it--this way you have no recall of when or how it was stolen. Banks and credit card companies are taking big hits and I'm sure noone wants the theives prosecuted any more than them. I've been fortunate that my debit card has only been hacked once, but it was being used in France. My company knew I couldn't afford to go to France! So they shut it down. I'm sooooo grateful!

Cook's Illustrated is another company I don't trust. I signed up on line to access their recipes and discovered most of the ones I want you have to upgrade for more money. I let my subscription expire and they automatically signed me up for a new subscription with out my knowledge. It seems like everyone big and small is out to fill their pockets with your money these days.
    Last edited by quiltbuddy; 12-14-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    *** I have 2 Chase cards and
    *** 2 months ago I had a charge from an Insurance Company for $10 (never heard for them).
    *** Chase reversed the charge & sent me a new card.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I have been pleased with the way our credit cards handle fraud or even suspected fraud. We were out of state last month and Discover called me to ask if I made some charges in that state, because it wasn't my pattern of buying. I wasn't worried that I was being scammed. They did not ask me for any personal information except did I buy these two items for these amounts. Then they emailed me some information on fraud prevention. It is my understanding that credit card companies give good protection against fraud vs. a debit card.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    After the Home Depot fiasco a few months ago, my bank automatically issued new cards for those who had used their cards at Home Depot. Great customer service!
    Mine too. My credit union called me to ask me to come in, where they explained that since I had been to Target in the last year even though I was not a victim, they were closing my accounts and opening a new one for me. They even notified the company that does auto-deduction to contact me for future payments! Great customer service!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

The worst (and most embarrassing) problem we ever had with a credit card was when we filled up with gas at an out of the way station, at night, in the Pocono Mts. of PA. We then continued driving to the hotel where we had reservations for a 10 day stay. We tried to register at the hotel and lo and behold our card had been shut off! DH called the CC company only to be told that because we lived so far away from the gas station (Massachusetts at that time), and because it was after 8pm, they felt the card must have been stolen! Needless to say, DH was not a happy camper...the embarrassing part? We had just been married and we were on day one of our honeymoon!!! (Yes, we stayed at one of those kitchy hotels with the heart shaped whirlpool tubs. LOL). CC company did make the card valid again and we went onto have a great honeymoon. In fact, we just celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary last week. Life is good!

We do some traveling and have had the CC call to verify charges from other states/countries. Once a company "knows" your patterns, they will usually flag unusual charges (at least mine does this). Have had new cards issued after the Burlington Coat and Home Depot problems.
    Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 12-15-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

We just spent part of today at our credit union "tightening" up our accounts, and reviewing things. We had automatic overdraft transfer from savings to checking and didn't have a limit set on transfers. Now we do, and set parameters for when they need to call us. They also reacted immediately with the Target breach...they are able to issue new cards "in House"...no waiting for them in the mail. Credit card through them also, and they have promptly handled any issues.....just can't be too careful in today's world!!