Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker? >

Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker?

Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I don't think there is any difference in them.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Thanks for your replies gals.

My old crock pot does have a crock that can be removed for cleaning or storing of the food in fridge. Guess it's just like making meat dishes on top of the stove, the more fat in the meat the tastier and softer it will get. Will try next crock pot dish with cheapier cuts of meat. May in Jersey
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 AM

I find meat & chicken cooked on high to be tougher than cooked on low. I use low for all meats.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I've tried recipes for pot roast and pork chops in my crock pot that others have raved that the meat fell off the bones. Well mine didn't, in fact the meats were kind of tough. Plenty of gravy and the veggies were great but meat not so tasty or easy to chew. I was wondering if the newer slow cookers have a lower temp to cook, mine has low and high and it think even the low is too high a temp to cook meats. May in Jersey
Huge difference! The older ones cooked at much lower heat on low than the new ones do. This is why many old recipes come out dry in the newer crock pots. A lot of old crock pot cookbooks get negative ratings from buyers who are trying to cook them in a new crock pot. If you're using a new slow cooker, it's a good idea to use a cookbook written specifically for it.

I have kept my old crock pot and old recipe book. Many of the old crock pots show up at garage sales.

Concerning meat that needs to be slow-cooked, a low temperature and longer cooking is what is needed to break down the connective tissue and turn collagen into gelatin. Cook's Country has done some explanations of this.

Here are a couple of websites that turned up in a quick Google:
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equi...sp?docid=25818
http://www.edinformatics.com/math_sc...ow_cooking.htm
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM

Did you sear the meat first? That will keep the juices in and keep it from getting tough. I have a newish one and it cooks the same as my old one. Maybe you need a different cut of meat?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM

ribs are great in the crock pot - cut in sections to fit in the pot, dump on some bbq sauce, turn on low and forget about it until you go, 'oh wait, I've got ribs cooking!'
Old 10-03-2011, 10:39 AM

"Why not try it during your remodel?"

Because I refuse to wash dishes/silverware in the bathroom. Got the countertops last Thur. and hopefully the plumber will be here today to hook up the sink and dishwasher.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Administrator

as others have already advised, sear it first, then cook on the lowest heat for at least 8 hours. make sure there is plenty of liquid - just as you would do if you were braising meat in a regular oven.

one obvious exception would be ribs. the person who suggested drowning them in BBQ sauce gave good advice. :-)

i have found, also, that adding chicken stock (instead of water) makes the meat more tender.

even better ... throw in at least one large can of crushed tomatoes - juice and all.

i'm not sure i'd recommend using soup mixes if salt is an important consideration in your diet. (of course, if that isn't an issue for you, then soup it up. it will add flavor, for sure. :-) )
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 AM

I have a multitude (really!) of both old and new. I like the new ones because they have a keep warm setting. Other than that I have same success with both. Am surprised at the chicken that is tough and dry. Mine is always fall off the bone-hard to get out of the pot-juicy. Try cooking the ribs in cheap beer all day then putting under the broiler brushed with BBQ sauce (or better yet on the outdoor grill) much different taste, and finger licking good.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM

the rule of thumb for crock pots/slow cookers are cooks in 8 hours on low settings and on high it takes 3 hours to get done. I hope this helps