Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker? >

Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker?

Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:05 AM

I started using a pressure cooker for those cuts of meats. I had the same trouble that the vegs would be good but the meat tough. Now it's done it 20 min and really is fall off the bone good. I use the slow cooker for some other things.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:14 AM

This is very interesting to me because of the experience I had with my slow cooker this weekend. I made a stew, which usually I make in a cast iron dutch oven and bake at 350 for 90 minutes. However, we were going to be out of the house for 5 hours, so I decided to put it in the slow cooker instead. We were gone for 11 hours instead of 5, and I was worried about it. When we got home, the stew was perfect. I sampled it before putting it away for the night; the beef was tender, the sauce was as delicious as my normal dutch-oven version. The next morning around 8, I put it back in the slow cooker on "warm", to warm the crock up gradually, then turned it on "cook". We ate around 4 pm, and while it tasted good, the meat was a bit chewy and stringy. I think it got overcooked. I think heating it up slowly the next day was too much, I should have just put it in the dutch oven and heated it just before serving.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM

has anyone ever tried making bread in a crock pot?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Guess it's just like making meat dishes on top of the stove, the more fat in the meat the tastier and softer it will get.
Yes, you are correct Fat provides flavour ... and acts as a tenderizer for the meat

Crock Pot was a trade name by Rival. Slow Cooker is the generic name. So basically the two terms are interchangeable. Just like "kleenex" has become the commonly used name for "tissues" while in actuality kleenex is just one specific brand!

Chicken dry in the crock pot? Hard to believe .... I cook roaster chickens and they come out like the deli BBQ chickens. Wash and prep the chicken. Sprinkle herbs/spices/seasonings inside and out. Stuff an onion or two in the cavity if you wish. Set a bowl upside down in the crock, so the juices will drain from the chicken and the chicken stays high and dry. I don't add extra liquids (enough fats in the chicken), though sometimes will add a splash of BBQ sauce on top of the bird. Lid on and go quilt for the afternoon!

Salsa Chicken Pieces .... layer in crock with some salsa. Doesn't take a lot!!

Greek Chicken ... same as above except use antipasto

Of course, you can over cook the chicken .... by leaving it in there far beyond the cooked stage and it will be dry and hard and no liquid left in the crock!! (yes, been there, done that!)
Old 10-03-2011, 02:38 PM

I think "Crock-Pot" was the brand name for one of the first slow-cookers. Sounds like you may have used a really lean cut of meat? I find the fattier, cheaper cuts actually work better in the slow cooker.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I don't think they've really changed that much. I have an old one and a newer oval shaped one that has a removable pot which is so nice when cleaning.

I have the same problem with meat in both cookers. I don't know if I pick up the wrong cut of meat or what but it's always chewy and tasteless.
mine is very old, high and low on it only. crock pots need very little liquid to cook. if you put to much liquid in it, it is like a slow boil, and no one wants to eat boiled meat!

the newer ones will switch to "warm". or has a keep warm selection. thats about it really.

i have made alot of recipes from the 365 days of crockpot cooking website. all have turned out great!
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

and rememeber, Never take off the lid to "check on it"!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:18 AM

My old one always cooked too fast. I have a new programmable one that I love. Never had a bad experience with it.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 AM
dd

I made chicken breasts and I think they were over done. Not dry, kinda chewy. They only cooked about 4-5 hours which is what was suggested. I didn't want the new crockpot since my electricity goes out almost everyday and that wouldn't come back on. You do have to turn them on though. I forgot to turn it on one time and came home to a cold crock pot. Yuk! threw that out!
I made chocolate lava cake in it once. Took that to an outdoor family get together and it was cold out that day. Everyone liked that. That was before it was really popular, no one knew what it was.
thanks for the 365 days site. Always looking for new crockpot recipes.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 AM

I own several crock pots and several small plug in roasters. Yesterday I put in a frozen pork loin at 2 p.m. and the meat was so tender and juicy by 5:30.. Used the roaster and cooked it on 350 degress the whole time. Needed to add water a bunch.
I won't leave my oven on when I am gone, but feel comfortable leaving the roaster plugged in the whole time. It can do low temps also and even higher, all cuts of meats and soups. My roasters have saved my ?? on more than one occasion.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelady
Pick a fatter meat, such as chuck roast and simmer on low for at least eight hours, preferably more.
If you pick a more expensive roast, such as pork loin, or a beef roast with less fat, the meat will turn out dryer.
So the cheap fatty roasts are the ticket!
I have to laugh at this.. as my 86 DMIL..has been a cook at our local nursing home, hospital and the most popular night club we have..plus cooking for 11 kids. She always asked me why my roasts were always tasty, melt in your mouth. She asked where I bought my roast from..she bought from there then also.. still complained her's were hard to chew and not as tasty. She was not buying the cheap roasts. I use my slow cooker weekly, and have never had tough meat from mine ever. The other key to it..only just cover the bottom with water..just like maybe 1/2 inch. As the slow cookers, keep all the moisture in them.