Any Pediatric Dentists?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:33 PM

I am in need of some important information for two of my Grandchildren. My DIL took them to a "Kids Dentist" for lower income people and was told that my Grandson has 6 cavcities and my Granddaughter has 8 cavities! They are 6 and 4
I was totally shocked!! This place has been in our local news for "non reputable practices" I IMMEDIATELY told her to take them to a good dentist for another opinion! These kids don't eat junk food and drink only water or sugarfree juice. Is it even possible for them to have that many cavities? Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:35 PM

Definitely get a second opinion.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:39 PM

When you get a second opinion keep inmind that tooth decay is a selective thing. What one dentist wants to fill another will be happy to watch. Did anyone ask how big these cavities are? And what teeth are they talking about. Also are they talking fillings or fissure seals? Sealants are done to 'seal' fissures that may otherwise decay. They are a preventative rathr than restorative.
Also fruitjuice hs a high sugar content even with no added sugar.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 PM

Some kids are more susceptible to cavities. I never had one until I was an adult. My mother credits our multivitamins.

I would get a second opinion. Worth the $$ to make sure.

You don't need to go to a pediatric dentist either. Most dentists will see kids. I went to a dentist who didn't spend $ on a frilly beautiful office and he did a great job with my teeth at a cheaper rate than other dentists.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 PM

If you don't trust the dental clinic, then get a second opinion. You could also ask the clinic to point out the cavities on the x-rays.

However, it is certainly possible for kids to have that many cavities, especially if they haven't been getting regular dental care. It sounds like their parents are doing the right things, but if they were falling asleep sucking a bottle earlier on or if they don't brush regularly or whatever, they could have a mouthful of cavities.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM

What area of Ny are you in, even though I am here I'm clueless, but I have friends with small children who travel up to Glen Falls and there is a nice dentist in Troy who sees children, I think its possible for children to have that many cavities, if there brushing there own teeth they don't do it well enough or long enough. The acid in juice eats at the enamal on the teeth. And by all means get a second opinion.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Some kids respond to dentists who are not necesarily pediatric dentists, too, so if you think a dentist is good, it would not hurt to try him/her out with the kids!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:46 PM

I just googled "pediatric dentist in Rochester, Ny" and there are several. I don't know where you are in Ny. I used to take my kids to a Dr. lowell on Beahan Rd., just off Chili Avenue. http://www.westside-pediatrics.com/
Old 10-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
What area of Ny are you in, even though I am here I'm clueless, but I have friends with small children who travel up to Glen Falls and there is a nice dentist in Troy who sees children, I think its possible for children to have that many cavities, if there brushing there own teeth they don't do it well enough or long enough. The acid in juice eats at the enamal on the teeth. And by all means get a second opinion.
I am in Upstate. I didn't know little ones could have thaqt many. My kids only had one or two and that wa when they were older. I guess i am just leary of that group she took them to. I will see if she will take them to mine...he's wonderful!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by magpie
I just googled "pediatric dentist in Rochester, Ny" and there are several. I don't know where you are in Ny. I used to take my kids to a Dr. lowell on Beahan Rd., just off Chili Avenue. http://www.westside-pediatrics.com/
I am on the other side of the city but it would be worth it for them to go to someone reputable....thanks for that info!