Any Pediatric Dentists?

Old 10-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Just an. After thought. Someone said to ask for the cavities to be pointed out on xray. They. Are way too young to have oral xrays taken. And yes thirty four years of dental nursing does come in handy.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM

go to a reg dentist for a checkup, my BIL when he was little had terrible teeth that went black due to too much OJ thru a bottle w/ a nipple - the sugar got to his baby teeth, and the dentist told my MIL not to worry, they were baby teeth not permanent and would come out and his real teeth would be ok and they were. sharet
Old 10-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Second opinion could save a lot of pain.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:20 PM

Not a dentist, but have two kids that both had cavities!

My daughter is 5, but had 4 when she was 3.5. They were between her teeth, touching each other. "Back in the day" I was taught kids didn't need to floss baby teeth...that it was bad for their gums. So, I took that as gospel, and didn't. She's not a candy eater, and we brushed regularly. I've been told by other mommies who nursed after the teeth started showing up, their kids had a few too. Mother's milk, falling asleep nursing, you get the idea. Didn't brush after those sessions, lol!

My son had one that was not so much a cavity, as a weak spot in his tooth that was ABOUT to become a cavity. The bonding material fell out of that one within 6mo and he had to have a redo. Not fun.

No, you don't need a pediatric dentist. We went to one for my girl, because she's super sensitive, and the only difference was a sing-songy voice and videos while they do work. So now she can't watch that movie, because it reminds her of the dentist, lol!

Some fillings you really CAN'T let go, like molars stay in until they're 10 or 12 or something. It could rot into the adult teeth. But the 2 cavities on my daughter? Right in between the front teeth...and guess what I noticed was loose this week? Dunno if she could have lasted 18 months without the fillings, kwim? Besides I like that her smile stayed pretty.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Of course kids that young can have that many cavities. The question is, why are they even going to this dentist if there have been reports on him/her?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

Another cause for excessive cavities can be from medications.

My two nieces are a classic example. Same home and habits, yet the one had lots of cavities starting early in her life, due to meds she'd had while ill. The other, nothing til she was late in her teens!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
The question is, why are they even going to this dentist if there have been reports on him/her?
My thoughts EXACTLY.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:04 PM

I would definitely get s second opinion. My teeth have lots of fillings because the enamel never filled in correctly. Same with my youngest brother.
My children, however, all have health teeth with only 2 fillings between the four of them.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Our DS & DDIL adopted a child at birth & he has had to have caps put on 5 teeth with root canals before he was 6 yrs old. My DDIL is a fanatic on health routines so I know she made sure his teeth were brushed often.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:56 AM

I worked with a pediatric dentist for several years. If the children fell asleep with a bottle, even milk, they could be more likely to get baby bottle caries. It usually depends on how big and the age of the child if they'll fill them or not. If the tooth with the decay is close to falling out they'll usually watch them, unless they're very deep and may involve the nerve.

I've always heard them tell parents that a deep cavity can spread to the developing tooth bud and even involve that tooth.

Also read that tooth decay bacteria can be spread by kissing. Not suggesting that's how they got them. Just saying there are a number of reasons they could have gotten decay. Neglect isn't always the reason.

Here's an interesting article you can read.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35989527...cavities-baby/

But, if you're not comfortable with what you were told you should certainly see another dentist. The main difference in a General Dentist and Pediatric Dentist is the size of the instruments. Granted Pediatric Dentists specialize, but they also have smaller instruments. I know a pediatric dentist that used to strap children to a papoose, needed or not. I was sent there to do my clinicals. When I told the instructor about that she never sent a student back there.

Good luck.