Any Pediatric Dentists?

Old 10-04-2011, 04:39 AM

My grandson had 2 cavities on his front teeth...you could tell they bothered him because he would never bite onto anything with them..he would always bite on the side...My daughter always tried to brush his teeth but with a wiggling little 3 year old was not always successful..The dentist they took him to was very gentle with him and they filled them and I am glad they did...I just couldn't stand the thought of him being in pain until they fell out...
Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 AM

Do get a second opinion but yes it is possible. Some kids are prone to them. My grandson who is 5 now got his cavity right in between his two front upper teeth so at least we could see it. He drinks mostly unsweet tea and has limited sugar intake. He drinks milk and gets plenty of calcium. If they have this many you'll probably have to keep an eye on them thru out thier child hood because it could be an on-going problem and you could also talk to the peditrician to see if it's something medical that can cause it.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:34 AM

Yes it is possible. My friends second daughter had 8 cavities in her baby teeth at the age of 4. She had to have them filled to avoid abcesses. What had happen was she had no enamel on her baby teeth. Still a second opinion wouldn't hurt. -There should be xrays to see the cavities.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 AM

After you get the kids cavities fixed, then make them start using mouth was twice a day. I use Listerine. Haven't had a cavity in six years. This advice came from a dental assistant.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 AM

Do get a second opinion, but yes, kids can get cavities. My almost 5 year old nephew had 4 cavities taken care of last summer when he was 3. The pediatric dentist was able to take care of 1 in the office while he had to be put to sleep at the local children's hospital for her to do the other 3 in the OR (he's got a history of breathing issues). In the end, 2 had to be pulled, 2 were capped, and while in the OR, she found an additional 2 teeth were affected and taken care of.

Dental issues are serious. If there is an infection, it can get into the bloodstream and cause serious health issues (even fatal!). Also, if the baby teeth are not properly cared for, the adult teeth can have problems when they come in.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 AM

Is this place they were taken to a chain of dentists offices, name starts with an A, if so, we have one in our area, and yes they have a bad reputation.

I am getting the feeling money is tight like it is for so many of us. Are there any dental hygiene schools in your area, even a community college sometimes has one. You can take the kids there, they do a great job of screening, all the girls (young ladies!!) are very nice - maybe not as scary as a dentist's office and certainly a very low-cost way to get a second opinion.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:56 AM

RIGHT ON! Please follow Lindyline's advice!

Originally Posted by lindyline
When you get a second opinion keep inmind that tooth decay is a selective thing. What one dentist wants to fill another will be happy to watch. Did anyone ask how big these cavities are? And what teeth are they talking about. Also are they talking fillings or fissure seals? Sealants are done to 'seal' fissures that may otherwise decay. They are a preventative rathr than restorative.
Also fruitjuice hs a high sugar content even with no added sugar.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 AM

THANK YOU ALL for the great advise!!!! I told her all the info and she is going to first see her Pediatrician then go to the dentist she and my son use for another look at the kids.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM

We once had a dentist that pulled that on our kids. He filled just about all of my friend's childrens teeth. I got a second opinion and there was not a cavity at all in my children.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:08 PM

We had many of my daughter's teeth capped because the dentist said that she needed them. That she had many cavities. I couldn't see them. Later when her teeth came out and were seen by another dentist, he said that there was no reason to have caps. When I told him who the dentist was he just nodded and got a grim look on his face.
Norma