Any Famous Ancestors?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 PM

I'm adopted so only know about adoptive parents family history...which is quite interesting.

On my mom's side her grandfather and his brother came to Texas from Denmark. Danish name of Bjornson/Bjornsen (?) was changed to Johnson.

On Daddy's side there were all sorts of famous people...General Woolfe who did something heroic in Canada, don't recall exactly what at this moment. A distant cousin passed on geneology tracing back to William the Conqueror and then on back to Charlemain.

Hubby's mom's family goes back to Nancy Stuart who is somehow related to Mary Queen of Scots. On his dad's side his great grandmother supposedly participated in the Trail of Tears, although his aunt (apparently a somewhat prejudiced individual) refused to acknowledge that such could have been possible.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 PM

On my dad's side I'm related to the Ute Indian Chief Ouray's wife Chipeta. On mom's side my great great grandmother ran "Robbers Roost" in Southern Utah where Billy the Kid and all those outlaws hung out. My cousin was Pearl Baker who wrote the book "The Wild Bunch" about the Robbers Roost.

No wonder I'm so conflicted. My blood is full of cowboys and Indians at war with each other!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:10 PM

There is an LDS (mormon) book about the pioneers called I Walked to Zion and one of my ancestors is in it, Agnes Caldwell (Southworth). Also there is a painting called "Tell John I Died With My Face Toward Zion" and that's a member of my family, the Murdoch Family :)
I think that is kinda cool that I can trace my family history through writings and paintings :)
Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by ilovequilts
There is an LDS (mormon) book about the pioneers called I Walked to Zion and one of my ancestors is in it, Agnes Caldwell (Southworth). Also there is a painting called "Tell John I Died With My Face Toward Zion" and that's a member of my family, the Murdoch Family :)
I think that is kinda cool that I can trace my family history through writings and paintings :)
Me too! Just think, all of that there and you get to see what some of them looked like.

After my Grandpa died I found a newspaper clipping in his trunk. It was about how he found a monkey on the street, LOL! Hardly a noteworthy experience, not like walking to Zion. But you do have to wonder, how much talent does it take to spot a monkey in the 1920's walking down Main Street in Owosso, Michigan? Not a talent to be sure! Nor a claim to fame, just a funny story.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 PM

Oh my gosh, no that's way cool! Like, just any little thing that tells us more about our ancestors. Way cool.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Also...since we got on the topic, I'm going crazy looking at family history online and have determined that since I am related to Radcliffe's from England, that I MUST be related to Daniel Radcliffe in Harry Potter. We'll just go with that. :)
Old 07-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Peter Frederick Rothermel, on my mom's side. He did the famous Battle of Gettsyburg painting.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 AM

Jesse James
Old 07-02-2010, 03:08 AM

Ya know, some of you on this thread just might be related to each other!!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:44 AM

could be