Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any nurses/dr's?  A question.... >

Any nurses/dr's? A question....

Any nurses/dr's? A question....

Old 04-22-2010, 02:23 PM

The bilirubin level being that high indicates her body is destroying a high number of red blood cells. In this case, probably liver cells. Is she jaundiced(yellow) from the high levels? I would expect her to be. Her prognosis all depends on how extensive the damage is to her liver. It doesn't sound good, but livers can regenerate to some degree if not too damaged.....

Ditter
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM

Life has such rough spots. Hang in there.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Her bilirubin is now 41. She's extremely yellow and mostly out-of-it. When she is coherent, she's yelling at her family. I can't tell you the mess of emotions this has all brought up. I worry about her daughter the most.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:02 PM

Hang in there honey! Prayers are on there way!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

When my friend's husband was in the hospital he got really angry too. Part of the yelling is most likely due to not being allowed her crutch - the other part is whatever caused her to drink in the first place. It is sad for the family. Does she have anyone to help her spiritually? A lot of times we tend to be kinder to outsiders than to our own families. Sending hugs with a heavy heart.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:18 PM

I'll be praying for you and your family hon ...

by the way, you can't ask about her health at the hospital, but if you call and talk to the nurses, you can ask general questions ... such as ... what does this high of billirubin mean ... and what is the medical procedures done to help fix the issue.

In all honesty ... explain to them that you have the info from the dh but you aren't understanding what it means.

They can give you answers in general terms, but they can't give you her "medical" prognosis ... does that make sense???
Old 04-22-2010, 05:29 PM

Its really hard when you want to help someone and can't. But you can help her kids, and they need your support. No one can help any type addict that doesn't want help, and kids seem to think they should be able to fix mom and feel guilty when they can't. Your sister knows you love her, and she loves you. Hang in there, your family is in my prayers.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

How old is her daughter ? Depending on her age is how well she will understand what is going on . All you can do is be there for her ,help her understand and a shoulder to lean on
Old 04-22-2010, 10:37 PM

My poor niece is only 14 - that difficult age even when life at home is stable. I don't think I can ask anymore questions.... funny, even though deep inside we knew where this was heading, any tiny shred of hope would help us for that day. But as of yesterday, even my dad finally realizes that hope is gone. I'm just sad that in her 43 yrs she couldn't find peace and happiness.... especially when she had all the help and good things lined up in front of her. And her favorite flowers are lilacs.... and they're just beginning to bloom now.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
So sorry for all you and the family is going through.

Just be there for your niece and yes 14 is a rough age no matter what is going on.