Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody know anything about growing cotton? >

Anybody know anything about growing cotton?

Anybody know anything about growing cotton?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 AM

I went to the co. extention office for info cus I wanted to grow a few cotton plants in my flower bed just to see how to grow it and in SC you have to have all kinds of papers to grow it and you arent allowed to just have a "few plants around your house" - seems they still have this giant boll weavel angst. I have stopped on the road where cotton has been picked and gleaned a few handfuls of leftover balls - its just like the stuff in the top of pill bottles! - and used it to stuff little things like in cushions, sharet
Old 04-09-2011, 05:00 AM

Cotton grows all around here in Alabama. We have noticed that the lack of rain or the over amount of rain is very important in how much cotton there will be. Fall is when they harvest.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:16 AM

I have been wanting some cotton "sprigs" to put in a vase. My Mother used to do that and what a memory she is !!! Anyone know where I can find some. I'm in central Tennessee.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:32 AM

I know this much, Nancy...it ain't gonna grow on the leeward side of Lake Erie!! :D
Old 04-09-2011, 05:49 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I know this much, Nancy...it ain't gonna grow on the leeward side of Lake Erie!! :D
Yeah... I could list a LOT of things that won't grow here...!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 AM

In Mississippi they have already planted their cotton and it is out of the ground growing.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:13 AM

Florida-Al border @Thanksgiving 2010 --Driving when saw white stuff along road that reminded us of snow.
Started light rain but asked my brother to stop to get handfuls of cotton that flew off fields or trucks. Filled
a coffee cup full then further along saw more.
Tried to fill grocery bag. Home few days later so sat it in
the shower stall. It smelled so washed it in kitchen sink then put out in Fl sunshine. It rained. Put it in pillowcase in dryer. Took an hour to clean up the dryer area because of little brown slivers of plant. Sat pillowcase outside (still damp)
and it rained. Spread it out to finally dry.
Spent 4 hours combing some --WOW_ what a job that was.
Used 1/4 of it and gave up. Had enough to make a pin cushion that fits in the center of my bobbin circle holder.
I realize this is a long store but it took a L O N G time
to get this souvenier from a cotton plant.
At least I saw the rectangular bales sitting in the fields
to be shipped but I can not understand how they could be picked up and put on/in a container. Bales were off white
color yet balls on roadside were white. Hope next yr I get some dry stuff.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:21 AM

Cotton needs about 200 frost free days. If you have a late frost, it's gone. If you have early rains in fall, can't get crop out (field is too wet). Boll weavel is still a problem, that's why you can't just have a few plants. Middle Tennessee people still grow cotton, but can be tough to get the crop in.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:28 AM
JS

one quilter stated she found it interesting a question regarding growing cotton was presented on the quilting message board. I myself do not find it odd. We like to quilt with cotton fabric we use it in our batting and although as a child in school I had to do a report on Eli what's his name who invented the cotton gin I never delved into how and where it grows other than I knew it grew in the South. Texas was a surprise to me. So, thanks for bringing this subject up my quilting friend. That's what this board is about. To share ideas and learn from one another ...be it quilting or other subjects. I learned a little something today I did not know.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder
Man o man, what I know about growing cotton. We were the last of the proud but dirt poor families. I planted the seeds, hoed the weeds, and picked sacks full of it by age 5.

Lack of rain can ruin the crop. Pesticide resistant bugs can destroy the plants in the field. It needs lots of fetilizer and a good season. The fields have to be rotated because cotton takes so much out of the soil. And picking scatches your hands, the suns burns you brown as walnuts and you gotta watch out for snakes.

I learned to keep my head down and keep picking. No matter how long the row was you got there with a sack to be weighed.

Nope, don't want to ever do that again.
I have always heard this was a tough job. Im so happy to be able to read about your life on the farm. Im a nothner and have never seen cotton growing. Im so glad someone ask the question about growing cotton. I to have learned something today. thanks.