Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody know anything about growing cotton?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Such as... when is it planted, and how long into the growing season is it until you know whether you will get a good crop or not?

Wondering when we will start to get solid information about the 2011 cotton supply.

Blog Entries
    My grandmother grew cotton and it grows here in Tennessee. All I know is it's harvested in the fall. And needs lots of water.

I know they bale it in October--even into November in the bootheel of Missouri. The whole area looks like a giant pillow fight has just occurred for weeks. They take the big bales to a shipping facility but I don't know what happens after that.

The land is all irrigated down there but they grow rice in the really wet parts. The cotton fields are only wet in the spring and summer rains will drown it out.

I'm not even sure what they use Missouri cotton for.

i dont know if it is true but i heard that not much US cotton is used for quilting fabric, Does anybody know if that is true and if it is where is the cotton use for our fabric come from?

For a good inticator watch the futures market on cotton. There is a drop showing for the end of the year .. still higher than last years price .. note the drop as the growing season progresses in the Northern Hemisphere

There was a slight down tick in the futures market but that is not uncommon after a record high , and some cash out their profits.

http://news.tradingcharts.com/future...es/Cotton.html

http://quotes.ino.com/exchanges/cont...tml?r=NYBOT_CT

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/agri...ts/cotton.html

The best overall outlook report
    http://www.commodityonline.com/news/...es-surge-over-$2-on-tight-supplies-36562-3-1.html

My best guess is that we at least one full year from any reduction hitting the retail cycle. and the worst is not yet been realized in the full chain. The real question is did the manufactures buy futures and at what price?

I think most of the cotton used in fabrics is from China, India and Australia. Since Australia is in it's harvest season, maybe we will get news about that.

A lot of cotton is grown around here; they pretty much know before they plant whether they are going to have good crops, based on how much rain we've had, because it is dryland farming down here. But then, if we get too much rain after they've planted, it can ruin their crops, or make the fields too muddy to harvest.
    The usually are finished harvesting by mid-summer; then it all goes to the gins, and from there, who knows?

All depends on where you live as to weather cotton can grow.

Cotton is grown in 17 states stretching across the southern half of the United States: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.

Texas grows the most cotton in the U.S. however China grows more cotton than any other country.

Planting begins as early as Feb. 1 in South Texas and as late as June 1 in northern areas of the Cotton Belt.

I do know there have been times when the government will pay farmers not to plant a certain year. We have farmers here in Georgia who have been paid by the federal government not to grow tobacco or cotton some years.

Blog Entries
    There are cotton fields all over S Arkansas going into Miss. and La. When the cotton is harvested the fields are still dotted with bolls. If you ask the farmer's permission you can collect a bag full. After separating the bolls and washing the cotton it makes really nice stuffing. The fields here last year seemed as good a crop as ever. I don't know where this local grown cotton goes to.

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I grew up in the south, but I never picked cotton.LOL

I find it interesting that you would ask about growing cotton on a quilting website. Wouldn't you get better result by using Google?

I just wonder whether it will work like gas prices..goes up but never seems to come down!! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Such as... when is it planted, and how long into the growing season is it until you know whether you will get a good crop or not?

Wondering when we will start to get solid information about the 2011 cotton supply.
    glad I read further than the topic title! I thought you were thinking of growing your own cotton so you could make your own fabric. I know prices are high but WOW that would be a lot of work! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    I find it interesting that you would ask about growing cotton on a quilting website. Wouldn't you get better result by using Google?
    We have people on the forum from all over... so I figured there was enough knowledge here that someone would know the answer, from first-hand knowledge.

Besides... we work with fabrics that are cotton, so there is a solid connection! :)

When I read the title of the thread, I wondered how much land you had and thought now THERE'S a dedicated quilter....lol.

There is some very enlightening information in this thread. Interesting question.

Last year we went to NC in late October. I had never seen cotton bolls in the field - it looked like most of it had already been harvested, but there were still some here and there. My DH pulled off the road and picked a couple bolls out of the ditch, and it is now tucked behind my thimble shelf. :)

We have people on the forum from all over... so I figured there was enough knowledge here that someone would know the answer, from first-hand knowledge.

Besides... we work with fabrics that are cotton, so there is a solid connection! :)
    I thought I did give you an answer by suggesting that you use Google for your search. :lol: Just because I sew with cotton does not mean that I know how to grow it. ;-) I've sewn with hemp, but I don't have a field of marijuana in my back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    I was just talking to my local quilt shop owner and wndered if there was a way at home to work the cotton from plant to batting. I know I could sit here and get the old fashiond sinners to make thread. I could possibly get into the looming, and dyeing of fabrics. we both thought it would be a neat idea if we could make it work.
    Have you checked with your local Extension Services Bureau. They have awesome classes ranging from Androids to Zebra care.

Blog Entries

I personally think that by asking about growing cotton here on the QB is a good idea. The people here have first hand knowledge of when its grown and harvested.

I thought she was going to grow her own cotton too. And then sell it to all of us for really cheap!!! But then I got to thinking....I haven't a clue on how they make fabric out of cotton balls. LOL.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe you thought I wanted to grow my own cotton!

ROFL!

Seriously, I'm dedicated... but not quite THAT ambitious! Though... if it is a deer-resistant crop, maybe I should consider it.

But... didn't Scarlett O'Hara get terribly unladylike hands from her season picking cotton at Tara?

Oh, right, we have better garden gloves available these days.

This was definitely my laugh for the night!

And TonnieLoree, I really should see what Google has to say about cotton planting and harvest time. I've never sewn with hemp... and I don't have a marijuana patch (though I did grow a look-alike aralia houseplant until the spider mites killed it)... but I did find a batik fabric with marijuana leaves on it! ;)

Hubby is doing some field trials in the new varieties of cotton ... he said most commercial cotton will be planted in May.

Quote Originally Posted by EskapetheNorm
    Hubby is doing some field trials in the new varieties of cotton ... he said most commercial cotton will be planted in May.
    Does he know what they do with the cotton in the fall?

Try your local 4-h. In Tennessee you can't grow cotton for personal use because of boll weevils.

Man o man, what I know about growing cotton. We were the last of the proud but dirt poor families. I planted the seeds, hoed the weeds, and picked sacks full of it by age 5.

Lack of rain can ruin the crop. Pesticide resistant bugs can destroy the plants in the field. It needs lots of fetilizer and a good season. The fields have to be rotated because cotton takes so much out of the soil. And picking scatches your hands, the suns burns you brown as walnuts and you gotta watch out for snakes.

I learned to keep my head down and keep picking. No matter how long the row was you got there with a sack to be weighed.

Nope, don't want to ever do that again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clsurz

I do know there have been times when the government will pay farmers not to plant a certain year. We have farmers here in Georgia who have been paid by the federal government not to grow tobacco or cotton some years.
    Well it's not as simple as just 'not growing' something. :wink:

Planted in spring and harvested in the fall

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast