Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody use "Angie's List"? >

Anybody use "Angie's List"?

Anybody use "Angie's List"?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:17 PM

I don't know about Angie's list, but I had an interior designer (at a really good paint/wallpaper store) recommend workman for me. She gave me several to choose from.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 AM

Several years ago I stumbled onto and online service called servicemagic.com (now is http://www.homeadvisor.com/ ). They asked what I wanted, how soon, etc. and gave me three names. Two contacted me right away and I wound up going with one of them. It was a great experience and that person has since then done my laminate floors (my initial project), remodeled two bathrooms and a kitchen doing great work at a reasonable price. I've also gotten recommendations for other, smaller projects through them and was very satisfied. The guy that did my big stuff suggested Angie's list to me when I mentioned I needed some appliance repairs so he thinks it is a good service, too.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:42 AM

Thanks sparkys_mom. I have been looking for this type of list. Will definitely use it to find workers to do several things around my home. I used to do a lot but reaching 71 so it is getting a bit harder.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 AM

sparky_mom. I have bookmarked that site....might be a good starting place for what we need done.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 AM

does you town have a"help for senior citizens" group? we have Council on Aging here in St Augustine that help us find whatever our needs are.,sometimes people donate their time for us "older ones".
Old 10-07-2013, 06:46 AM

I signed up for a year with Angie's List...and absolutely hate it!! I mostly wanted it for the medical list. We moved three months after signing up on the East Coast to the Southwest and I have tried the past three months for Angie's List to switch me over from Maryland to Arizona. They have changed all my personal info but I still cannot access anything in AZ only MD >( I wouldn't do it again. I think recommendations from friends/ neighbors/ BBB are just as good if not better.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

hmmm, I tried the home advisor one but kept putting my zip code in and it kept asking for it. evidently i'm not in a State they offer help for.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 AM

I used Angies list when it was free, I think when they first started. I found THE MOST WONDERFUL, and I mean talented, wallpaper lady. I had a repair to be done where my dog scratched the wallpaper when he got locked in the bathroom, and you cannot even tell where she spliced in the repair.
So, I guess you could say I had very good luck on Angies list, and depending on the extent of the services I would require, would probably pay the fee.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:22 AM

Thanks, Betty 32084......we do not have any agencies here in our little town, and I think I've read enough disparaging comments about Angie's list, that I am going to just ask neighbors.......It's really hard to find help for smaller tasks that we "older" folk find we need. The bigger jobs are different, but the smaller ones.....????? If I had the money, I would move into a retirement complex, but I don't. Why didn't I listen to my elders as they went through this? But when we are young we never think about how we will cope with life when we age.......