Anyone allergic to fabric?

Old 03-09-2011, 05:46 AM

I get choked up and sometimes start coughing and have to leave in some fabric stores. What a pain. Same when people are spraying a lot of perfume in Dept. stores. I will cough until the tears run down my face.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:47 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

whoooly shmoooly.. I have not thought of this one.. but do recall .. years ago.. a little boy wearing new pants to school with an odd fabric smell, he had an asthma attack. was attributed to the pants.. of all things.. if it smells.. would you buy it? ha ha.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Originally Posted by Yooper32
I get choked up and sometimes start coughing and have to leave in some fabric stores. What a pain. Same when people are spraying a lot of perfume in Dept. stores. I will cough until the tears run down my face.
Wow, didn't think about this till your post. sounds miserable
Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by glassnquilts
I have an allergic reaction in a fabric store too. It causes me to buy stuff I don't need.
:lol:
Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 AM

I have problems with batting...really takes the moisture out of my hands and then my skin breaks out and get tiny cuts that I seal with super glue. Will this stop me from quilting? Nope.

Fab is an issue too. I have to wash everthing before cutting. Piecing doesn't affect me but when I machine quilt I break out. Can't use any hand creams w/perfume. Use old fashion udder cream that farmers used in old days. Thumbs are the worst...poor babies.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 AM

I worked in a fabric shop for a short while and it became very evident that I was sensitive to the "fibre particles" floating in the air as a result of the vast amounts of fabric being cut on a daily basis.

I was fine until I went into work my shift and within a half hour of being in the store, my nose would start to run (small sniffles) and continue the entire time I was at work. By the time I left work, my nose would be red and sore from using tissues (not unlike having a pesky cold). When I left work, within a half hour of leaving the store, my sniffles would stop.

This would occur every day that I worked - on my days off, I would not have any sniffles.

Even though the store had a very large (and I would assume adequate) ventilation system, fibre particles are minute and those combined with the dyes in the fabric, cause me to suffer.

The amount of fabric I cut for my quilting is no where near as vast as the amount I had to cut when I worked in the fabric shop so THANK GOODNESS, I don't have to give up my quilting.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 AM

I am highly allergic too. I have found that cheaper fabric especially sets me off. I think the companies try to give cheap fabric a better hand by adding a lot of sizing. Good quality fabric doesn't need much sizing. Don't know if you have observed any difference like this.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 AM

I used to get a rash around my eyes. I figured out after years of suffering and consultations with a dermatologist that I was allergic to the lanolin in the baby oil I was using to remove my mascara. Found a different product and the rash went away for good. Lanolin is from sheep, just like wool.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I used to get a rash around my eyes. I figured out after years of suffering and consultations with a dermatologist that I was allergic to the lanolin in the baby oil I was using to remove my mascara. Found a different product and the rash went away for good. Lanolin is from sheep, just like wool.
I remember using certain lotions & eye makeup removers that had vitamin E in it and I always broke out in a rash on my face. I'm 54 years old and back when I was younger there weren't that many products with vitamin E in them, but now days it's hard to fine lotions & face cream that don't have it.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Check with MD . Could it be Rosacea?