Anyone canning now?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:25 AM

I learned you should not use a water bath canner on a ceramic top stove. (Which is what I have) I had to go to my daughters house to can. Good thing I read the directions first!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:26 AM

Yep, put cabbage in the crock for sauerkraut, and canning tomatoes and doing salsa today, dried some of my herbs, apricots and strawberries, and froze some wonderful Michigan Red Haven peaches, yum!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248906.png  
Old 08-30-2011, 05:26 AM

once apple picking starts, I will be making apple butter and hopefully canning some. Last year, I canned strawberry and blueberry jam and pickled beets, which didn't last long as they're my fiance's favorite.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 AM

I ave also been doing a lot of canning going to do tomatoe soup today and also some refrigerator pickles I do not like all the chemicals in store bought food so do most all of my own stuff including pumkin and the small potatoes
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 AM

I have put up corn on the cob, cut off corn, purple hull peas (in freezer) canned tomatoes, pear honey, canned pear halves, made blackberry jelly, plum jelly, salsa-mild and hot. A post here got me to thinking about pizza and spaghetti sauce. Even though we have had a hot summer, we have had plenty of tomatoes.(But then with 120 plants what would you expect? lol) I have put eggplant in the freezer and plan on making pepper jelly. No wonder I haven't had much time to quilt/sew. Oh well, I can sew this winter and in the meantime continue to preserve the bounty that God has provided us.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 AM

I love to can. So far this summer did strswberry jam, applesauce tomatoes ,peaches ,corn . looking for a good pickle receple. thans for looking gina
Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 AM

Had to review this thread first - there was another canning thread here previously.

any way - I want to can a bit this year. Mostly sauces that I can't seem to find around here, i.e. pizza sauce so I can can them in smaller amounts. Also pear butter & apple butter since I can't seem to find any that doesn't have high-fructose corn syrup. (not complaining about that, just fixing that problem in my own way).
Old 08-30-2011, 06:05 AM

In the last 2 weeks have done 100+ ears of corn, frozen, 1/2 bu green peppers, frozen, 17 pt of ketchup, 24 pt spaghetti sauce, and 12 pt of whole tomatoes, I now have an ace bandage on my wrist cause I either strained it (haha) or my "arthur" has found a new spot to send pain! I love doing it though and love the fresh taste in the winter and also "knowing" where your food comes from...Would love to do some fruit, but depends on how long peaches are in, will probly do pears in a few weeks and then applesauce, yum, can't wait! :wink:
Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 AM

mrsquilt-lime pickles are the greatest!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 AM

Yup. Tomotoes, green beans, peas, zucchini, okra, corn, apple butter, and pears so far. Work all day, Can all night. Thank God Daddy comes over every night and helps (since most of it is HIS garden, after all. LOL)