Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone going grey fir the first time?

Anyone going grey fir the first time?

I keep seeing some beautiful grey hair color treatments and it has my attention. I am in my mid 50's and i am intrigued esp about transitioning. Tho, i do admit, it would be hard to start dyeing my hair back to dark if I don't like it. Thinking grey would play well with those pesky grey roots! Thoughts?

FOR...not fir.....
    sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 02-12-2016 at 04:03 PM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I started turning grey in my late 20's. I'll be 55 tomorrow and I've been coloring my hair various darker shades of brown for 25+ years. My cousin, who is six months older than me went 'natural' - - - - aka stopped coloring her hair and let it go gray and, honest to God, she looks at least 10 years older than me.

I'll keep coloring, going kicking & screaming into that 'grey good night' - - - -
    Jane

Through my 50's I would toy with going gray but since I worked I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I am not completely gray at yet at 60. My hair is kept short so sometimes I'll color it myself if I am feeling particularly blah which is probably twice a year. The color is light enough that it gives the illusion of streaks of light and dark so it looks natural (according to the sweet lady who cuts my hair). I don't mind the gray but I hate that it is coarse and unruly and the color helps the texture. Have you ever noticed the women who say, "you should let you hair go gray, it would look good" are the ones who color their hair religiously every 6 weeks

I am in the every 4 weeks haircolorclub. I get mine professionally colored and always have. Yes, I work also but I don't think that it would be a negative. The new colors of grey with dark undertones are gorgeous. I am prett sure that I might wait another year or two. Just thinkin'.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini

I'm salt and pepper so until I go all gray I will continue to color my hair. My natural hair color is very dark, black as coal when I was younger, so I use a med ash brown so I have highlights and not one color all over. One color with no shades or highlights screams dyed hair.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I have been asked if I want the seniors discount since I was 40 (I'm assuming it was the gray hair, although once or twice I said "I'm never wearing this dress again")
    What I have been doing for the past couple of years is getting lowlights, the opposite of highlights. I's basically just reducing the amount of gray while still leaving some there so that you never have roots, everything just blends in.
    I really like it and she uses my natural color.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

I keep going back and forth. I've been coloring my hair for years, usually a lighter blonde color. Then I let it grow out, then colored it again, now I'm back to grayish. My natural color is a mousy blonde, and it's more of a silvery blonde if I don't dye it, so it's not too severe of a transformation. I feel better when it's blonde though!
    Lori

I am 72 and my husband is 60. My hair started to go gray in my 20s. My husband has never said anything negative about my appearance but whenever I think of letting my hair go all gray he asks me please not to. So far I haven't. I color my own hair every 3-4 weeks. It is not an ordeal for me.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    It is different if you have salt & pepper gray hair or really white hair. Mine is white & I get a lot of compliments on it
    & some friends tell me they wish they had my white hair. While I was visiting in China there were comments that
    perhaps I dyed my hair, or maybe I was wearing a wig because they thought it was so pretty. That was a big
    surprise to me. I just enjoy it. Too difficult to dye hair that is white; would require doing it every couple of weeks.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    At 71 I am "salt and peppa", too. 15 years ago I asked my hairdresser about coloring it and she said I'd have to find someone else to do because SHE was envious of my "silver" gray and wouldn't want me to change a thing, hahaha!! That was all the "permission" I needed to forego the time and expense of worrying with it, and I'm so glad I didn't start that!!
    For me, skin is the great pretender. I've been blessed with oily skin until the last 2-3 years of my life and have only some age-related droopiness (which I just despise!) but few if any wrinkles. I pass for 10-12 years younger all the time.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I'm 51 and just now starting with some noticeable gray. I hope im taking after my granny, who in her late 70's still was salt and peppy ( like Jan said ) lol! I really don't want to start coloring my hair, I've only done it once. It's just too much trouble, but I don't like the idea of going gray.

Blog Entries
    i'm 56 and was born with white hair. at 50 most of my hair was white, except for a small patch on the back top side of my head. That is dark! I dye all of my hair very light blond to cover the white. I do it at home for $2.97 (Walmart).
    You can't tell the difference. It's cheap and gives me a bit of color from all that white. Not a grey hair on my head, just WHITE! Both of my grandparents were white by the time they were 50.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Dad was salt & pepper at 86, Mom was mostly salt at 40. I'll be 60 this yr & am taking after Dad which makes me happy. I have not wanted to color my hair. I have cousins who have been coloring for years & now want to quit but are not sure how to go about that.

CRO
    I started getting pretty gray in my early 50s. Let it go until I decided i really hated how uneven it was. Got it colored my former natural color with a few highlights. When I got home that first day my husband said " I really like your hair. You were starting to look old" You should have seen his face as soon as the words left his mouth!! LOL
    Love him to death even with his lack of tact.

I just colored my greys for the first time last week -- and did low lights like Chester, looks great and so natural
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    LuckyALF2
    Busy quilty crafty Mom of 2

The only place housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary

Blog Entries
    I'm in my 60's and while working I never had time to go to the hairdresser so changed colour naturally. I was auburn and I got more white streaks than gray. Back of head still slight colour with grey front white with auburn streaks. My texture has gone from very course to a softer version.
    The hairdresser says it is a lovely colour, personally I just like it to keep in shape and not fly about.
    Finished is better than a UFO

When I was younger, I would get highlights in my light brown hair. But now that I'm 59, I have more gray than my 79 yr. old mom......She doesn't color her hair, and she has about 10-15 gray hairs!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

I started going grey in my 30's. Grrrr!
    Sandygirl

Have salt n pepper,mostly salt now but get complemented.Stopped coloring my hair when studies showed the darker dyes caused cancer and just couldn't bare the cost anymore.My husband doesn't mind and I can buy lots of fabric with the extra money I now save.
    Mary

Grey roots! Not attractive... Tried going natural due to chemical reaction. Held out for almost 1 year. No more. I FELT older and I did not enjoy it. And the lighter highlights, well to me, on me, they look old?? Back to coloring. Cover up the grey and this year I am kicking it up a bit. Throwing in some "color". Red. Pink. Green. Blue. Just a touch. Letting hairdresser do what she thinks would be fun with cut and color. She's younger, modern, and cute so I feel safe . And she knows me.... Besides, It's only hair. It will grow out and back and I am excited to welcome the change in my life. Mix it up!!!! I am 56

Started going grey at the temples in my mid 40's. Hated that a week after a professional colour job that telltale white line would start showing up again. Finally decided to just grow it out and went thru misery for a few months. A hip shorter cut really helped. Now I am salt and pepper--leaning more to the salt all the time. I have been asked where I get my colour done 'because those streaks look so natural' LOL. I too like the money that I am not spending at the hairdresser--more fabric!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I will be turning 64 this month, and although I was born blonde, my hair has been every color under the sun over the years. Blonde for the last 15 or so. When I don't color it I can see how much grey there is and it will be a very pretty silver grey (thanks dad). People guess my age as 10 years younger and that makes me feel great. For now I'll keep coloring it for another couple of years...then it's going natural!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    I started turning grey in my late 20's. I'll be 55 tomorrow and I've been coloring my hair various darker shades of brown for 25+ years. My cousin, who is six months older than me went 'natural' - - - - aka stopped coloring her hair and let it go gray and, honest to God, she looks at least 10 years older than me.

I'll keep coloring, going kicking & screaming into that 'grey good night' - - - -
    When I was about 17 years old, I put a swipe of peroxide on the "bangs" area of my head - ONCE! I am going on 78 and have some grey hair, some white hair and still some of my reddish hair. It would cost me a fortune to have it done to look like this, which I have been complimented on - how God made my hair is just the way I am going to keep it. Incidentally, it is nice and soft, thick and I love it just the way it is. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I'm 66 and I've been coloring my hair since I was 18. At first I just enhanced my already red highlights, then I let the red take over. I retired at 57 and decided to go natural salt/pepper so I could travel without having to look for a place to do my hair. In less than a year my DH said he missed the red. I think he felt old in the company of a grey haired woman. Of course he had some grey when I married him and he was 23, I was 20. Now I have decided to go grey for the last time. The top of my head is a lovely almost white silver. The sides and back still have some medium brown. I have a new hairdresser and we talked about what I'd done. She likes the way it looks, and so do I.
    Shirley in Arizona

I had quite dark hair, started coloring and continued to do so until I retired. Then let it go to its natural state - a pretty silver - in the back still some salt & pepper. For me - the colored hair just didn't go with the rest of the aging process going on. I keep my hair in a short style which I feel is more becoming to me at my age. The style and cut can also age a person - not just the color. Do what makes you feel good about yourself and don't fret over other opinions.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast