Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anyone going grey fir the first time?

My natural colour is a light auburn, but I haven't seen that for a long time, I have been every colour under the sun over the years, including pink, don't laugh that wasn't intentional. I have been blonde for the last 25 years, and like my mum I'll be dying my hair and wearing make up until I'm in a box lol. BTW at my mums funeral my husband quoted the Jenny Joseph poem 'I shall wear purple ' as that summed her up to a tee and I would like to follow in her footsteps .

Blog Entries
    gosh, i started getting gray at 14. in my 20's i had high lights in. In my 30's I had "low" lights (two or three colors) put in. Looked great. Finally gave up in my 40's and went gray. Now it's white!! not sure of shampoos that do anything for gray hair.

My sister is ten years younger than I am but has let her hair go gray while I get mine dyed my natural color. When we go out to eat, she is almost always automatically given a senior discount while I have to ask for one. Some people just assume she's my older sister.

I let mine go completely natural when I turned 70. It was white in the front, but darker in the back. Finally I couldn't stand it for me and went back to a soft strawberry blonde - very close to my color in my 20s - maybe a little lighter. The gray just wasn't right for me for several reasons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    I started turning grey in my late 20's. I'll be 55 tomorrow and I've been coloring my hair various darker shades of brown for 25+ years. My cousin, who is six months older than me went 'natural' - - - - aka stopped coloring her hair and let it go gray and, honest to God, she looks at least 10 years older than me.

I'll keep coloring, going kicking & screaming into that 'grey good night' - - - -
    I'm with you, Jane, no gray for me!!! No, no, no.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

I started turning gray when I got pregnant at the age of 27. It seems my great grandmother did too, because my grandmother kept telling me I should color my hair, she said she never her mother not to have gray hair and my daughters will say the same, So? But my hair grows so fast I would show roots within a week or two and I felt that looked worse than any gray hair. Since my DH didn't care, neither do I. Every so often y SIL would tell me I should do it and look younger. Since I was over 21 and married and my DH loved me just the way I am, then why care? I was 49 when I went thru chemo and my hair fell out (twice) and when it came back it was super soft and curly and a lot more gray. I keep my hair short now, it still is fairly soft - 10 years later, so have not considered coloring it.

I tried coloring, but now I like my grey. It came on thicker than my dark auburn. I also have my stylish grandmother as a role model. I do use shampoo for silver or blonde hair. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  38.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I am perfect, I will write a book and everyone can be perfect too. Until then I will just have to be gracious in face of imperfection, and ask the same of everyone else for my imperfections.

Since I have chemical sensitivities, coloring my hair is not an option. I was a strawberry blonde until I was 25 when it turned brown, wasn't happy at all. Now that I'm in my late 50's, I have grey and some white patches. I think coloring one's hair would lots of work.
    Sharon in Texas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    I let mine go when I broke my arm. I had real difficulties with trying to take care of it, so I had it cute extremely short, think of an inch or maybe a little more. As my arm got better, my hair grew in. I found the top was much greyer than the sides or back, that is still darker But by letting the top grow longer it appears very light. OK don't laugh! Well I never intended to post such giant pictures LOL!! But hopefully if you look beyond the wrinkles (I'm 64), you can see the difference in the hair color.
    As it was growing - Attachment 542586
    After it had grown out. With the hubbyAttachment 542587

You could be a model...and you and your hubs look great together! The hair color is 'just right.'
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I was very fortunate to have been born with beautiful thick black naturally curly hair.....until.... I was 30..hahaha

at the age of 50 I gave up and let my hair go grey. It was a difficult transition.......however, not a day goes by if I go out that some one doesn't make a complementary comment on my hair. Including people going to my hairdresser. I believe the trick is....when you change your hair color, you need to change haircut style, makeup colors, and color of clothing you wear on your upper body. Their are some beautiful woman with grey/white hair.

I have absolutely no regrets....I love the extra dollars...as it was getting expensive to color. I am 61 and proud of it!!! Worked hard and survived much to get here and still going strong.....😄

We earned everyone of those grey hairs....show them off!

is there an online place where you can send an image of yourself and ask for opinions on hair color/ cut/style?

I got lucky. I started going gray when it was fashionable to frost your hair. I was blond and everyone thought I had a great frost job. I am 87 and my hair is mostly white. Goes well with my age.

I am 70+ and have been "living better chemically" for a long time. I tried going gray and few years ago and could not stand it. Do whatever makes you happy.....life is short.
    Jo Ann

Since I stopped coloring b/c of asthma reactions to the chemicals I had to transition the long hard way (grow out). My hair is shoulder length and I look horrible in short hair so the transition took right at 2 years. Here are 2 pics one is halfway through, the other is my first pic when the last bit of dyed hair was cut, last summer, and it has already lightened from that pic.

"Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Blog Entries
    Natural red head here with the freckles to prove it. Just about 50.

My grandmother and my uncle (her son) both were pure white by 30. Prior to then they had dark hair. Granny was a smoker and used to get yellow staining above her face. She would use laundry bluing to rinse her hair. It never looked blue, but enhanced the white.

My dad at 87 has thinning white hair.

I have been getting my hair professionally coloured 2-4 times a year. Franny, Colourist extraordinaire, uses foils and 3-4 different colours from blond highlights, to dark burgundy low lights. The main shade is a very close match to my natural colour. It is expensive, but I love it. With the layering of colour it is not too bad as my roots grow in. Unless you are looking directly at the top of my head. If I do not have the funds saved up to have it done professionally I will do it at home between the pro treatments.

I do have white wings just in front of my ears, so maybe I will be all white at some point.

I am booked to see her next week. The last two years have been incredibly stressful, having my hair professionally coloured is my treat.

I think we each must do what feels right for ourselves. For the next few years I will be colouring my hair, after that, who knows?
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I dyed my hair at home, since I was about 45(I am not almost 58). I was in a car accident, suffered a brain injury, and decided I was going to let it go gray 8 years ago. (Though what I can do is a miracle, I don't do well in stressful times and with my nerve damage in my hands, I could imagine getting some in my eyes!)

I had the barber (yes, I go to a barber) cut all the colored hair out, which left about an inch, and haven't worried about it since.

This is me a couple of months ago. I took the pic because someone else asked about it.
    I don't know if there are more women doing this, or I just notice more, but there seems to be a lot of people letting the gray take over

Funny (to me) hair color story:
    I was very active in dog showing, showing my beloved basenjis. At the time I only had red ones. I didn't realize it until a man at a show came up to me and commented how he liked the way my hair matched my dog, that it did!
    Last edited by RugosaB; 02-14-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

I am still trying to catch up with my children's gray hair. I am 73 and have never dyed my hair. Both kids (49 & 45) are more gray than I ever thought about being.

Blog Entries
    A lot of my friends have gone gray. Tired of the upkeep. I am toying with the idea. I keep thinking "who am I fooling by being brown?" Love so many "silver foxes" --I think the hairstyle is what keeps gray heads looking young.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

I've read this with a lot of interest.....I am 77.....have become a complete caretaker to my DH who has to be fed by a tube......it really takes up most of my time....so I am letting my hair, which is quite thin, go natural.....so far, there is still enough of the darker color in it (medium ash)to give me some color......I can't afford either the time or expense to have it done professionally every month so either way I go, it's all the way! Coloring it takes time and the roots are showing up more often these days and I don't want to color it too often......I'll keep reading comments.....very interesting. So far, most in favor of the Gray, have nice thick hair....I don't have thick hair and it is WHITE!

Quote Originally Posted by joivey View Post
    I am 70+ and have been "living better chemically" for a long time. I tried going gray and few years ago and could not stand it. Do whatever makes you happy.....life is short.
    This is my feeling, also. Do what makes you feel best! I color my hair and have since I was in my late 20s. The early gray hair made me look washed out and tired. I'm almost 68 and toy with the idea of stopping but just not ready, I guess. Both of my parents had early white hair. Even though it was a nice silver color, I remember people often thought they were my grandparents. My point now is not to look younger, but try to feel OK about how I look.

I found my first gray hair when I was 28 and I will be 60 next month. I gave up my highlights, low lights and coloring a year ago this time. The abundance of gray, add a few more wrinkles, definitely looking older. Ugh!
    The time spent in the chair every 5 weeks, the big bucks every 5 weeks got old in itself.

Funny story: I'm 49, and I have fabulous hair genes. My maternal grandmother was well into her 80s before she was fully gray and my mother is 73, and has just a few strands of gray hair. My paternal grandmother was gray, but dyed her hair a stark, jet black, and it looked really unnatural. When I was younger, I decided that when my hair went gray, I was going to leave it - I had delusions of well-earned battle scars and rites of passage, and other such nonsense floating through my head.

One day, about 16 years ago, I was sitting in my friend's kitchen with her. She was also the woman who cut my hair, so she was "attuned." We were chatting when, all of the sudden, she squinted and leaned closer to me. She reached her hand out, grabbed a hair by my temple, and pulled. My hair is curly, but the hair she pulled out was wiry. I swear it was 4 inches long, completely gray, and like a corkscrew.

Where did it come from? How does a hair go from nothing to 4 inches long in an hour? Had it been hiding? And, if so, where? In the midst of these questions, all my delusions went right out the window. In the next instant, I was wondering if I should buy boxed hair dye or get it done professionally. Battle scars, be damned.

I was lucky and it was an isolated incident - I still have naturally brown hair. But it makes me laugh how quickly my resolve to not dye my hair dissolved. Gone. When the time comes, Miss Clairol will be my best friend.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

I picked one color shade for my hair. Black Cherry. I love it. I have to get my hair done soon.

Quote Originally Posted by joivey View Post
    That's the best advice. Do what makes you happy.

I started coloring my hair at 18 -- my natural hair was the color of day old dirty dish water with a green cast and I could not deal with it so I went light blonde. I am 67 and I know it is grey/white, but I throw light blonde color every 6-8 weeks. I don't think it looks too bad -- the roots blend so I can stretch the time between colors.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast