Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone going grey fir the first time? >

Anyone going grey fir the first time?

Anyone going grey fir the first time?

Old 02-13-2016, 06:31 AM

My natural hair color was very dark brown w/ lots of red highlights, but I started greying at 16, started coloring by 18, got adult onset asthma and managed to keep coloring my hair until almost 3 years ago, I am now in my mid 40's and have stopped coloring b/c of asthma attacks from the hair dye (had to do it at home for years b/c couldn't breathe in a beauty shop). I am salt and pepper w/ more salt. My "grey" are a shiny white. My husband doesn't mind, I get more compliments then scowls (though I do get a few scowls mostly from women) and have been asked if I qualify for senior citizens discount. I personally love the sparkliness, but do wish it was all the way w/o any pepper. Back when I was dying, maintaining roots was nearly impossible.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:43 AM

I go back and forth. I am 71 and have silver hair all except at the neckline it is still dark. I used to get my hair "frosted" that was before they started calling it highlights and I paid good money to get it bleached out white.. LOL. I now stay silver, my husband loves it and I get lots of compliments on it. I like to wear bright colors and it really accentuates the silver. I have a friend that is 3 years older than I am and she colors her hair dark brown. Her hair is very thin and I keep trying to get her to go lighter, your scalp does not show up so much. I have lots of friends my age that still color their hair dark. There comes a time when( IMO) it would look better a little lighter. No one in their 70s still has naturally dark hair.. When you start fighting mother nature, it doesn't work.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:52 AM

I've never been one to worry about my hair, I've been going salt and pepper for years, and have yet to have someone tell me that I look older than I am, but I have had people tell me that they wish their hair was like mine.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
At 71 I am "salt and peppa", too. 15 years ago I asked my hairdresser about coloring it and she said I'd have to find someone else to do because SHE was envious of my "silver" gray and wouldn't want me to change a thing, hahaha!! That was all the "permission" I needed to forego the time and expense of worrying with it, and I'm so glad I didn't start that!!
For me, skin is the great pretender. I've been blessed with oily skin until the last 2-3 years of my life and have only some age-related droopiness (which I just despise!) but few if any wrinkles. I pass for 10-12 years younger all the time.

Jan in VA
I'm with Jan. I'm 72 and have very little salt & peppa in my dark brown hair. No one believes how old I am and how much I do, especially yard work. I help 4 neighbors who are 10-20 yrs. younger then me and they can't keep up with me. I hate appointments, so I remain all natural.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:24 AM

As a retired hair stylist I say--- please do not try to go back to your "natural" young color---go lighter---you skin has changed and too dark will look harsh---low lights are a great idea
Old 02-13-2016, 07:30 AM

My natural color was Auburn and instead of gray, it's going white. I like white hair....that being said....I have 2 white streaks, one on each side of my head....and I have grandchildren who know who 'Crewella Diville' is so needless to say, until that changes, I will continue to color my hair. ;-)
Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 AM

I started going gray in my 40s. My mother called me a 'dishwater blonde." (Leave it to my Mom to not mince words!) I figured gray would be better than that! My hair now shows white/grayish in photos, but in real life, there are some dark 'dishwater' streaks in it. The beautician tells me other ladies are paying to get the look I have. So, hey! Why worry now at 66?
BUT as soon as I became mostly gray, I did notice the youngers using louder voices (if you have gray hair, you must have lost your hearing, too, you know). All in all, I just go with what I have. My breathing does not do well with chemicals, so another reason to be natural.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:00 AM

I let mine go when I broke my arm. I had real difficulties with trying to take care of it, so I had it cute extremely short, think of an inch or maybe a little more. As my arm got better, my hair grew in. I found the top was much greyer than the sides or back, that is still darker But by letting the top grow longer it appears very light. OK don't laugh! Well I never intended to post such giant pictures LOL!! But hopefully if you look beyond the wrinkles (I'm 64), you can see the difference in the hair color.
As it was growing - [ATTACH=CONFIG]542586[/ATTACH]
After it had grown out. With the hubby[ATTACH=CONFIG]542587[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 005a.jpg   995899_10200631844052647_1589220810_n.jpg  
Old 02-13-2016, 08:04 AM

It is pretty, especially in the longer picture.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:48 AM

I colored for years, but finally let it go when we moved to a new state. My hair is very white, and I get a lot of compliments from strangers.
I do think the hair made people assume I was older. So I had a facelift!