Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone going grey fir the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary O View Post
    Have salt n pepper,mostly salt now but get complemented.Stopped coloring my hair when studies showed the darker dyes caused cancer and just couldn't bare the cost anymore.My husband doesn't mind and I can buy lots of fabric with the extra money I now save.
    If you really feel like gambling, the dollar store has hair color for $1. - !!!!

59 here, started going gray more heavily after DH passed away last year. My sister wants me to color it, she is more gray than me but uses a men's color treatment to make it less gray. I don't mind being gray. I keep thinking of two women I knew. One was in her 80's and still had jet black hair. Looked like a fake fur coat. The other was my SIL, she went through heck when she finally decided at age 60 or so to stop coloring her dark brown hair. Finally settled on a light blonde.

I wouldn't know when to stop if I colored my hair - 60? 70? 80? at some point people stop thinking how nice you look and start thinking, who does she think she is fooling?

Besides I earned every one of these gray hairs.

I went prematurely grey in my early 20's. Prior to that, my hair was "every day at the beach blonde". I go to my salon every six weeks for professional color. Refuse to go grey! At my class reunion, those that went natural looked years older. I'm not necessarily a vain person; my out of the bottle color just makes me feel better about myself!

I have been going white since I was in my 20's. I use to color it dark brown, but stopped when my hair was coming out orange. I have been given the senior discount when I was in my 30's because they would not ask if I was 50's. Now I am 67 and everyone loves my hair. It is all white. I love my hair too. By the way, my twin sister is white too.

I streaked my hair when it started turning. My hair is still red with natural highlight now and I am working on being a platinum blond.....When you do get the "highlight" around the face it is time to change makeup coloring.

My natural hair color was very dark brown w/ lots of red highlights, but I started greying at 16, started coloring by 18, got adult onset asthma and managed to keep coloring my hair until almost 3 years ago, I am now in my mid 40's and have stopped coloring b/c of asthma attacks from the hair dye (had to do it at home for years b/c couldn't breathe in a beauty shop). I am salt and pepper w/ more salt. My "grey" are a shiny white. My husband doesn't mind, I get more compliments then scowls (though I do get a few scowls mostly from women) and have been asked if I qualify for senior citizens discount. I personally love the sparkliness, but do wish it was all the way w/o any pepper. Back when I was dying, maintaining roots was nearly impossible.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Blog Entries
    I go back and forth. I am 71 and have silver hair all except at the neckline it is still dark. I used to get my hair "frosted" that was before they started calling it highlights and I paid good money to get it bleached out white.. LOL. I now stay silver, my husband loves it and I get lots of compliments on it. I like to wear bright colors and it really accentuates the silver. I have a friend that is 3 years older than I am and she colors her hair dark brown. Her hair is very thin and I keep trying to get her to go lighter, your scalp does not show up so much. I have lots of friends my age that still color their hair dark. There comes a time when( IMO) it would look better a little lighter. No one in their 70s still has naturally dark hair.. When you start fighting mother nature, it doesn't work.

I've never been one to worry about my hair, I've been going salt and pepper for years, and have yet to have someone tell me that I look older than I am, but I have had people tell me that they wish their hair was like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    At 71 I am "salt and peppa", too. 15 years ago I asked my hairdresser about coloring it and she said I'd have to find someone else to do because SHE was envious of my "silver" gray and wouldn't want me to change a thing, hahaha!! That was all the "permission" I needed to forego the time and expense of worrying with it, and I'm so glad I didn't start that!!
    For me, skin is the great pretender. I've been blessed with oily skin until the last 2-3 years of my life and have only some age-related droopiness (which I just despise!) but few if any wrinkles. I pass for 10-12 years younger all the time.

Jan in VA
    I'm with Jan. I'm 72 and have very little salt & peppa in my dark brown hair. No one believes how old I am and how much I do, especially yard work. I help 4 neighbors who are 10-20 yrs. younger then me and they can't keep up with me. I hate appointments, so I remain all natural.

As a retired hair stylist I say--- please do not try to go back to your "natural" young color---go lighter---you skin has changed and too dark will look harsh---low lights are a great idea

My natural color was Auburn and instead of gray, it's going white. I like white hair....that being said....I have 2 white streaks, one on each side of my head....and I have grandchildren who know who 'Crewella Diville' is so needless to say, until that changes, I will continue to color my hair. ;-)

Blog Entries
    I started going gray in my 40s. My mother called me a 'dishwater blonde." (Leave it to my Mom to not mince words!) I figured gray would be better than that! My hair now shows white/grayish in photos, but in real life, there are some dark 'dishwater' streaks in it. The beautician tells me other ladies are paying to get the look I have. So, hey! Why worry now at 66?
    BUT as soon as I became mostly gray, I did notice the youngers using louder voices (if you have gray hair, you must have lost your hearing, too, you know). All in all, I just go with what I have. My breathing does not do well with chemicals, so another reason to be natural.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I let mine go when I broke my arm. I had real difficulties with trying to take care of it, so I had it cute extremely short, think of an inch or maybe a little more. As my arm got better, my hair grew in. I found the top was much greyer than the sides or back, that is still darker But by letting the top grow longer it appears very light. OK don't laugh! Well I never intended to post such giant pictures LOL!! But hopefully if you look beyond the wrinkles (I'm 64), you can see the difference in the hair color.
    As it was growing - Name:  a 005a.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  299.4 KB
    After it had grown out. With the hubbyName:  995899_10200631844052647_1589220810_n.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  55.7 KB
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

It is pretty, especially in the longer picture.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

I colored for years, but finally let it go when we moved to a new state. My hair is very white, and I get a lot of compliments from strangers.
    I do think the hair made people assume I was older. So I had a facelift!

My gray hair looks like I have frosted my hair again without the expense!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I met my husband the first week of college - I did not have a single grey hair. 3 months later I had several all at the crown. We've been married for 42 years and it is a long running joke in our lives - even he will confirm that it is true.
    I have colored my hair occasionally - mostly when looking for a job. It is very fine, rather thin and grows very quickly. For a few years in my early thirties I had a clump of white hair in one spot and I half heartedly kept it colored or I looked lopsided. Haven't colored it since the early eighties and won't start now. Way too much trouble for me. I have a friend who is an unnatural blonde has been dying her hair for so long that she doesn't even know what her natural color might be anymore.

I'd been coloring my hair since I was 12 yo as my mother was a hairdresser it was easy for me to get what I needed back then. I continued to color my hair till just about the time I would retire at the ripe old age of 57 plus I had a job related injury and they wouldn't give me a desk job to recover so decided to reitre as I had 26.5 yrs in anyway.

Anyway, I was worried how the roots would show up as my hair grew out with the combination of auburn, grey and mousy brown and went to my hairdresser to ask about frosting it. She suggested low lighting it instead when it basically the opposite of frosting. So she added a much nicer brown tint to my hair and I liked it. No one noticed I was no longer dying my hair auburn and now after all these years my grey is coming in as streaks so it almost looks like I frosted it. I worked hard for my grey hairs..............as I keep telling folks....:-)
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I colored my hair once as a teenager and I thought my dad was going to stroke out..haven't done it since and I'm almost 60..lol I'm salt and pepper now..it is what it is..
    Kitty

I thought grey made me look sad. So I went half way between brown & gray. Feel much better when I look in the mirror.

I have silver wings at the temples and coloured my hair for years until I started to think about how to transition my hair colour to suit my older face. I had started noticing friends and family looking less attractive with unsuitable hair colour for their skin and really didn't want to fall into that category. So I did the lighter hair colour and didn't feel any better about it so decided to go cold turkey and had my hair cut short and just let it grow out.

The back of my hair is still mainly very dark with sprinklings of silver but mainly silver at the front. Most people think it looks great. I did get surprised looks from those I hadn't seen during the transition. My older sister boasts that I am more grey than she is, but I can see her scalp through her dyed thin hair and I don't think my silver makes me look any older than that does.

Occasionally I add one skinny streak of colour (burgundy or purple) just for a bit of fun.

My son's MIL does the shoulder length bottle blond bit (she's 64) and would be horrified if she could hear the comments that are passed by strangers behind her back.

I'd colored my hair every 6 weeks until retired and realized I could buy a lot if fabric for what it cost to color. I'm white around the face & top & still darker in the back. I've had people stop me on the street to complement me! I have it cut in a reverse Bob and feel if you have a newer cut it keeps it looking fresh. It did take a good 2 years to completely grow out.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
    Dad was salt & pepper at 86, Mom was mostly salt at 40. I'll be 60 this yr & am taking after Dad which makes me happy. I have not wanted to color my hair. I have cousins who have been coloring for years & now want to quit but are not sure how to go about that.
    When I wanted to stop coloring my hair I found hairdressers can't help with that. They had no suggestions at all. I just waited until I retired(not too long after this decision to stop coloring) and let it happen it naturally. I'm a homebody so in the several months it took I really didn't worry about how it looked as I wasn't seeing many people. It takes 2-3 months as I remember.
    Sally

Blog Entries
    I am turning 58 in a couple days and have just started to turn grey. In our family, you either got the thick luxurious curly hair that greys early, or you get the thin straight hair that stays brown until old age. As you can see in my picture, my cosmetology instructor was right when she referred to my hair as "frog-fur" lol! I wear it long because if I cut it short, I look like a squirrel, it all stands up everywhere, and you can see my scalp.

*The green hair in my avatar is a play on my "frog fur". Lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by madamekelly; 02-13-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Power Poster
    ​I love a full head of silver or white hair! Since I have thin, patchy grey, I colour it. I use Natural Instincts because it fades gradually with no roots.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast