• Anyone into genealogy research??? >
  • Anyone into genealogy research???

• Anyone into genealogy research???

Old 09-01-2010, 10:13 AM

LBryan,

I sent you a PM, I hope you receive it.

Thank you.
    Old 09-01-2010, 01:09 PM

I went on the Ancestry.com website free 30 day trial...I can't afford their subscription. I found a lot of stuff about my father's father's family, which we had no information about at all. Very interesting! Also found out that my father's mother's family forced her to marry at 16 years, and her name changed again only 2 years later. They were Mormons in Colorado, having moved there via handcart and horse wagon. Cool stuff....but I am now clueless how to look elsewhere. And I don't really have time to look. Anyway...fun to do it.
    Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Joan Rosemary
    I have been doing gaeneology on and off for several years now. When I started I had no knowledge of my Mothers family as she died when I was only 2. Once I started I managed to go as far back as early 1700's. It is like being a detective. Great fun very enlightening and worthwhile.
    Great to understand where you are from.
    Joan
    It's very much like being a detective. I'm researching my DH family (my mom has been doing ours for decades so there's not much for me to do there which is why I'm doing DH's). His family is somewhat difficult to decipher sometimes because they suffer from a lack of imagination when it comes to names. I have a James Spratlin who had (among many others) 2 sons -- Jesse and Henry. These 2 sons both married women named Mary (in the same year and county) and had sons named James (in the same year and county). AARGH!
    Old 09-01-2010, 04:55 PM

I did some research about my husbands name, and found a website that was fairly new being done by another. J.Mark Fiegenbaum has continued with this work, and it is a fabulous database. We didn'T find any skeltons or royalty, but lots of Methodist preachers. My sister and I researched my parents and learned so very much about our Dad, information that he never knew . He was an orphan , very young when his parents died.My Mom's side have lots of info, going back to the Saxon's. We did learn we are eligible for DAR, but didnt persue that. Abe LIncoln stayed at the Tavern/Inn that my GGG grandfather owned. They were very early settlers in Madison County,IL. And yes, we do hasve all the documents. The crazy thing is, we can find my grandfathers name on Ellis IS. records, but we can't find grandmothers name , or any of the kids, yet we know my dad was born in Belgium, shortly before the date GF came, and the dates of siblings born here two years later. Never could find one brother who was still in orphanage when Dad was taken.
    Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Originally Posted by Charlee
    I wish I had Ancestry International...I can't access the Canadian records.
    Joseph Pleasant Barber has Canadian ancestry...his grandmother was Marie LaFlesh, who was born in Ohio according to census reports, but her father was French Candian...they were quite proud of that ancestry...

I am (personally) positive of Jack being our Joseph...but do realize that I need to document...
    Hmmm, you SAY you think Jack and Joe are the same person, but your arguments say differently. If there is an ancestry for Jack that lists parents who are French Canadian, it is VERY unlikely that Jack and Joe are the same person. If you had absolutely NO information on Jack, that is one thing, but when you actually have a parent's name and location, then logic would tell you that they are different.

You have two different options for accessing Ancestry and other records. First, try your public library. Many libraries have Ancestry available from their computers. The other thing is to go to

www.familysearch.org

On the tabs at the top, there is one that says "Library". Cursor over it to bring up a drop-down menu, and chose "Family History Center". That will take you to a locator screen, where you can find the nearest Family History Center (FHC) to you. The LDS FHC's are open to everyone. They will have Ancestry on their computers, and you can order microfilm for use there at the FHC. Also on the FHC site are some actual records.

Try to locate Jack P. in census records prior to 1920-30. If you find him in a census in Ohio, while your Joe is on one in California, that is pretty positive proof they are not the same person.
    I'm sorry Gai...I didn't make myself very clear, did I? I have not been able to find squat on JACK Pleasant Barber other than the records I already told you about...the 1930 census and the military hospital and cemetery, but JOSEPH Pleasant Barber has the Canadian ancestry. I only know that from the research of others (I haven't got that far yet)....the family was LDS, and so there are tons of documentations of his grandmother's family....
    Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 PM

I've been into genealogy for quite some time, mainly researching and documenting my maternal grandmother's family. I had a great head start because her maiden name (Butler) is quite famous (or should I say infamous!) in Karnes County, TX!
    My great grandfather came from a wealthy Irish family, but he was disowned when he married a woman named Dora Collins. She was half Sioux, not acceptable at that time!
    I'm very grateful that my grandmother, age 88, has passed on many of her wonderful stories. No one can tell them like she can!
    Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 PM

I have been trying to trace my father's side of the family too. I signed up with Ancestry.com and am totally stumped. I didn't expect this to be done in a day or a month but I was hoping to find out where my grandfather was born and who his parents were. I was hoping to find an obituary but can't do that either. All the family is gone now so there isn't anyone to ask. Just a little frustrated. Quilting is so much easier!
    Old 09-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Heidi - how long has the grandfather been dead? If it has been awhile, you may be able to find him in the social security death indexes. Cannot remember if they start 20 or 50 years back.
    Old 09-02-2010, 04:48 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by heidikins
    I have been trying to trace my father's side of the family too. I signed up with Ancestry.com and am totally stumped. I didn't expect this to be done in a day or a month but I was hoping to find out where my grandfather was born and who his parents were. I was hoping to find an obituary but can't do that either. All the family is gone now so there isn't anyone to ask. Just a little frustrated. Quilting is so much easier!
    Oh dear, this is much, much too complicated to get into here, but you really can't do true genealogical research online. Ancestry is nice, but as a I almost never go there, and in fact have let my subscription lapse for that reason. To get started, you need to go to one of the Mormon Family History Centers, or a local genealogy library. Many public libraries have a genealogy collection, and the people there can help you get started. You can also get a beginners book on how to do research. An excellent one is "The Essential Guide to Unpuzzling Your Past", by Emily Croom.
    Old 09-02-2010, 04:50 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
    JOSEPH Pleasant Barber has the Canadian ancestry. I only know that from the research of others (I haven't got that far yet)....the family was LDS, and so there are tons of documentations of his grandmother's family....
    Charlee, did you get Jack's death certificate? That would be the next step. As well as getting copies of the medical records, not just the stuff that's on Ancestry.