fair price for shipping

Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 PM

When buying fabric from other board members here, what do you consider to be a fair price for shipping. Just had to decline fabric I wanted because the fabric was $5.00 for 1 1/4 yards and shipping was $5.00
Old 03-27-2011, 07:16 PM

If you go to usps.com and enter in the weight for the fabric and your zip you will find that is the cheapest way to ship the fabric. It sucks but after selling here I actually covered most of the shipping on my sales.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Oh no, that's really not a bargain then.

I've never bought that amount of fabric so I really don't know but I wouldn't spend that much.
I buy a lot on Ebay and they can get 7 yards in a flat rate envelope for 5.15.
That's a bargain to me!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM
MTS
Banned

That person probably only ships using Priority FRE's. While the actual shipping might only be $2 1st class, the seller now has to go find/buy and envelope/box and tape.
I would do the same thing (I just wrote this on another thread today).

I would say that the seller should have put that in the same post describing the fabric, rather than wasting time - both hers and yours - so you would have known upfront without having to "decline" it.

The Seller wasn't making any money off the postage, and if you were paying via PayPal, was actually losing some of the cost in the transaction.

If you only bought 1.25 yards from eQuilter.com, how much do you think they would charge you in shipping fees? (And I'll bet the fabric would be more expensive than what you paid here).
Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 PM

I have been in several swaps, and swapped tablerunners and doll quilts for less than $3.00. Have also sent 2 yards of fabric for less than $3.00. I think maybe the gal only wanted to ship Priority. Guess it is a good deal for her, no figuring weight or getting envelopes
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 PM

I just did that last week. Someone had 1.25 yards, Total cost with shipping was $10. But Gosh darnet I REALLY wanted that fabric! So i got it. She sent if FRE, i would have been upset if it was sent first class with that price. But so far, every deal on here has been a good one.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
That person probably only ships using Priority FRE's. While the actual shipping might only be $2 1st class, the seller now has to go find/buy and envelope/box and tape.
I would do the same thing (I just wrote this on another thread today).

I would say that the seller should have put that in the same post describing the fabric, rather than wasting time - both hers and yours - so you would have known upfront without having to "decline" it.

The Seller wasn't making any money off the postage, and if you were paying via PayPal, was actually losing some of the cost in the transaction.

If you only bought 1.25 yards from eQuilter.com, how much do you think they would charge you in shipping fees? (And I'll bet the fabric would be more expensive than what you paid here).
i have bought lots here and no one has charged me that for a yard or two. i knew she was not making money on the postage. Just wondering what others thought. I would buy a whole box of envelopes and charge a fair price when selling. If I had bought 3-5 yards, which will fit in that envelope I would not have thought it too much. And i never buy just 1.25 yards from eQuilter for that very reason. They charge for their time plus postage.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
I just did that last week. Someone had 1.25 yards, Total cost with shipping was $10. But Gosh darnet I REALLY wanted that fabric! So i got it. She sent if FRE, i would have been upset if it was sent first class with that price. But so far, every deal on here has been a good one.
Every deal on here has been a good one for me until today, and I just had to decline, knowing the piece could have been shipped for no more than $2.50
Old 03-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I don't buy when it states that they will only use priority shipping.
When I sell I will take the time to go to the PO and get the exact shipping cost. I figure if I'm the one selling then I should do my best to get the best shipping rate for the buyer.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I don't buy when it states that they will only use priority shipping.
When I sell I will take the time to go to the PO and get the exact shipping cost. I figure if I'm the one selling then I should do my best to get the best shipping rate for the buyer.
MY KINDA GAL!