Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone from Seattle or thereabouts--Help >

Anyone from Seattle or thereabouts--Help

Anyone from Seattle or thereabouts--Help

Old 07-19-2014, 03:52 PM

If you can, try to find a Craft Warehouse while you are there. http://www.craftwarehouse.com

They buy overruns of Moda, Kaufman, South Sea Imports, etc. They are folded flat, and are $6.00 per yard, $4.00 if on the sale table. They are current runs, but made too many for the quilt stores to buy. I went crazy there the first time I was in one. I had to ask for a ride back to my hotel, as I had walked across the street to shop.

You will love it, I promise.

Last edited by Girlfriend; 07-19-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:42 PM

September in Olympia is generally very nice and can be quite warm even hot sometimes. Unpredictable actually. It can also be rainy but not cold rain still kind of summer like maybe just a little cooler. Our weather has been warming up so much it is hard to predict. As far as shoes whatever you would normally wear for walking that are comfortable. There are several quilt shops around Olympia Non are huge but they are very nice. Check out the web for their name and maps. They are also not too far apart but then Olympia is not very big either. I like Olympia it is a fun little town.
Enjoy,
Judy
Old 07-21-2014, 07:09 AM

I live a bit North on southern Vancouver Is, our climate is pretty much the same as Seattle's.

I wear sandals from March through October, as long as there is no frost on the ground. If it rains, there is not much in September or much of October, you feet will dry quickly, if you do not wear socks. Otherwise whatever shoes you usually wear.

I do have rubber boots that I wear when I walk to work in the winter, if rain is predicted. I just change into shoes when I get there.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie Ness View Post
I have a friend in Washington and when I visit she takes me to Yelm where there a fantastic quilt shop. LOTS of fabric. I can't remember the name, but its right as you come into town. Never miss a chance to go there.
The name of the quilt shop is GiGi's. It is fantastic!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:48 AM

Have fun and be sure to visit Shibori Dragon. Fabulous shop
Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM

I've lived here in God's Country for 25+ years. The weather is usually very nice from June thru Sept. Rain usually starts in Oct thru May. And even though it may rain a lot, it's usually the kind of rain where you dont get wet! More gray sky, misty, sometimes light showers. I don't even own an umbrella. I lived in Texas 10 years and when it rained, it poured, and I ruined quite a few dress shoes in the puddles left in the wake of a storm. And you wouldn't dream of not using an umbrella in a Texas rain! Otherwise you'd be soaked clear thru - not so, here.

I wear sandals at the beaches, but sneakers or walking shoes (or hiking shoes/boots) everywhere else year round.

Favorite south-sound quilt shops are:
Bayside in Olympia
Gigi's in Yelm
Wild Rose in Orting (my absolute favorite!)
Parkland Parish in Parkland (Tacoma)

And whenever I'm near Vancouver/Portland area, I love to visit Fabric Depot (which is one of my favorite places to shop online, as well).