Anyone travel alone?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 AM

I certainly know where you are coming from. I have traveled alone some since losing my husband in 1999. I have lost to death, 3 traveling gals. Have traveled with my SIL - went to Minot to the HostFest. A fun trip. I have 2 gals I travel with and they wanted to go the next year. So then there were 4. This year we will be 7 going. You meet people on these trips and the group increases.! There are times we end up 4 to a room. This is fine with me. BUT one travel company would not allow more than 3 to a room. We thought that was odd. What hotel cares if you are one or two in a bed?
I give a donation to a public TV station. The 'perks' are usually 2 for 1 prices at food establishments. I also had a meeting with my 'broker' She had someone in the room with her and asked if I minded if he stayed for our meeting. I did not mind. Later I find he was one of her bosses and was running the info meeting. After he was finished he asked if anyone had any questions. After a slight pause I asked if there were any benefits for single people. Another short pause and he asked "Does anyone else have any questions"? ha
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 PM

I would be interested in talking with you. I live alone and my family is scattered all over. I haven't traveled alone as I have worried about my safety. I'm so sorry about your traveling buddy. I won't be able to go to NS with you but perhaps we could talk and discuss possibilities
Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 AM

[QUOTE=janjj;6218856]I certainly know where you are coming from. I have traveled alone some since losing my husband in 1999. I have lost to death, 3 traveling gals. Have traveled with my SIL - went to Minot to the HostFest. A fun trip. I have 2 gals I travel with and they wanted to go the next year. So then there were 4. This year we will be 7 going. You meet people on these trips and the group increases.! There are times we end up 4 to a room. This is fine with me. BUT one travel company would not allow more than 3 to a room. We thought that was odd. What hotel cares if you are one or two in a bed?
I live an hour from Minot and they now have all kinds of hotels in the area. I don't know the prices but it seems like there are more people coming to the Hostfest than ever before. This year will be the 1st with out the founder of it. He died this past year so hopefully they have the same stuff as when he was alive and running it.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 PM

I have checked out the Grand Circle Tours and there are multiple complaints against them from people who have used them and feel cheated, also from employees. Just be careful before you commit to anything with them.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 PM

Just wanted everyone to know I had a great trip and never felt out of place. I had a great trip to New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia. I was seated next to another single lady traveling alone and we hit it off right away. There were a few other women traveling alone but most had roommates. I will never feel uncomfortable about going alone again. I noticed that most of the couples that were traveling, one or the other of the couple had some sort of medical problem such as parkinsons, bad knee, hip, etc. Most of the time it was the men that had the problem and the women were taking care of them. If you have a spouse, start traveling now while you both can get around. Marilyn