Anyone tried Melatonin ?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:13 PM

My doctor recommended it for me and it works great! And I have no side effects. Not everything works for everyone.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:15 PM

DD uses Tranquil Sleep by Natural Factors and finds it works very well. It's in most health food stores. It's a chewable tablet. Melatonin didn't work for her.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 PM

Yes, I have tried it and still use it. I don't have a problem falling asleep, it's that in a couple of hours I am wide awake..with all that's gone on here the last few months it's catching up with me and the melatonin works. My late DH also took it and it helped it tremendously.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 PM

I take a pretty large dose of melatonin that was prescribed to me, about 40 mg. I try not to take it every night, it is not supposed to be good for you to take all the time. I find that when I don't exercise enough, I start not being able to get to sleep at night, even with meletonin. Sometimes my soundest sleep is at about 8-9 am- 11AM. I work a swing shift, so I have a hard time relaxing at night even though I am tired.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
No side effects at all. 3 mg 30 minutes before bed works well. If that doesn't do it, add valerian, but be forewarned it smells terrible.
I use these too, and so does my son, we are night shifters,and nightshift workers are shown to be lacking melatonin. Valerian is great too but does smell lol
Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 PM

I tried it about a year ago... horrible heart palpitations, dizzy and etc...

I know I was a rare case, but scared the heck out of me.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Chamomile tea works for me...usually.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

I have tried it. I have taken 3-5 mg (total 15 mg) and it STILL didn't work for me! And that was last week.
I take ambein instead. I have no side effects from either one.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 PM

I didn't sleep for nights in succession from the time I was 10-12 yrs.old. It got harder to handle as I went through college & transitioned into teaching.Often,I would read a book in one night.After two babies (who didn't sleep throught the night until they were 2 yrs. old), it was becoming impossible. I finally went to a doctor for a sleep study & was diagnosed with RLS (restless leg movement). I took Valerian before the diagnosis after researching for years. It really helped, but only to an extant. I either fell asleep quickly & woke up a couple of hours later, or could not fall asleep until about 5a.m. After the diagnosis I began taking Requip, & it has been a God-send.
With sleep disorders, your body does not get enough REM sleep, which is when a hormone is released to repair small muscle tears that occur everyday. If this continues too long untreated, you often wind up with an autoimmune defficiency disease. I have fibromyalgia now because it was not caught in time. I do sleep almost every night with the Requip, but under stress, the insomnia returns.
This has been my experience. God bless & good luck!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM

I have a lot of arthritis pain, so I need a good nights sleep to help the pain. I use to take melatonin and it worked well for me. I also found I need Tylenol or Advil at bedtime to keep the pain down so I can relax.