Anyone tried Melatonin ?

Old 08-25-2011, 03:28 AM

I have used it and at times it has worked really well for me. I never had any type of side effect, which was great. If my mind is in overdrive, though, the melatonin doesn't help.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 AM

I use it. It comes in 3mg, 5mg and 10mg. It also comes in Time Release for those who can't stay asleep. You can wake up to use the restroom and still go back to sleep. I find if I take one regular to get me to sleep and one TR to keep me there it works very well and no, no side effects except feeling rested. I was told to do this by a doctor.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 AM

very interesting thread, thanks for starting it.
Glad to know I am not alone, I nver sleep through the night except once in a blue moon. I do take it every night with 2 PM excidrin or advil,( I alternate through a bottle), still not sleeping last 3 nights, awake looking at the clock every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Did not set the alarm last night, hoping to get an hour this am, did not happen, I was up at 6. Sometimes I wander through the house late at night/early am, can't sleep and so very tired.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 AM

Yes, it works for me. No side effects.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 AM

I'm experimenting with Melatonin now. I started at 5mg nitely for 1 week, no real results, so I increased to 10mg nitely. I think this is working. I've slept through the nite for 3 nites now! So, my suggestion is experiment with the dosage, but give each dosage a week or so trial, before changing or giving up on it.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 AM

I have used it for the past few yrs. I dont take it regularly but 3 nites in a row 1/2 hr before bed and sleep like a baby.
Then I dont take it for a few nites and do it again. Your body makes this normally but as you get older it doesnt make as much. So the supplement. No side effects I know of. Have a good nites sleep
Old 08-25-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
I worked in an ICU for quite a while and what we used for patients was Benadryl 25MG and Extra strength tylenol with it....take one and if not asleep an hour later you can take another one. One works very well for me. I take it about an hour before I want to go to sleep.
I use Benadryl, especially when we are out of town sleeping in a hotel or motel - my sister calls it The Poor Man's Sleeping Pill! Over the counter!!!!!! Edie
Old 08-25-2011, 04:39 AM

Buy them at walmart & work great. Dh uses them quite often as he has trouble sleeping. Better than Benadryl to make you sleep & no dead head later.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 AM

I have used Melatonin for some time, works great, take it right before you hit the sheets. No side effects. Which have way too many additives and preservatives. I buy all my natural vitamins/supplements from Swanson Health Products.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 AM

At 2:30 a.m. today I was fretting about not sleeping also.....haven't tried Melatonin but have a botttle by my bed and even one laid out on the table. I can usually go to sleep without a problem, around 10:30 or 11 pm.....but can't sleep through the night. I live alone in an apt and it is very quiet, plus I sleep with a fan on to provide "white" noise. This morning I turned on the tv and watched the end of an Oprah show (and I haven't been an Oprah fan) but decided the dull noise would help me sleep. Finally dozed off about 5 a.m. and woke again at 7:30, which is reasonable.

I have tried Ambien before and it works for me, just afraid to take too much. Had heart attack/stroke 1 year ago and was giving trazadone (sp?) as much as 300 mg a night, sometimes that didn't work either. I don't take it anymore because I seem to have weird feelings the next day, like in a fog....plus it caused diahera (sp?).

I limit my caffeine in the afternoon, have tried warm baths, reading, etc but don't have a problem actually going to sleep, just staying asleep for what I think is a reasonable amount of sleep time......but seems like when my eyes flutter open my brain turns on and everything in the world runs through it...

I don't dare take a nap during the day either, but by 7 or 8 pm I don't have a lot of energy to do anything created so I usually watch tv and stay on this computer !

Think I'll go buy some benedryl today and try that !