Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!! >

April 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!

April 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 AM

I was doing so well for the month. I am visiting my DD this weekend. The food choices in their house aren't the best. I am still waiting for my new GS to arrive. It is a 4 hour drive to here. I told her she has until 3:00 today to start something or I will have to go home. I only get 5 days off for the baby and I am not going to waste them waiting for him to appear. They haven't picked a name yet and my mom claim he won't come until he has a name.
As I said I was doing well/ We went to the grocery yesterday and bought Frito's(a huge problem for me) and chocolate ice cream. I ate both. So I decided to go for a walk to wear them off. We walked about 3 miles. Unfortunately our walk led past the candy store that makes homemade chocolate candies. They had 75% off of Easter candy. So yummy. So much in the trunk of my car now. Hopefully my DH and Ds will eat most of it. I had better go for another long walk today.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Good afternoon Ladies.......how has your weekend been going? I have been doing much of nothing with some sewing in between. I have signed up for several swaps on the board, so I am working on the blocks for these swaps. I kept having problems with them coming out the correct size. They are suppose to be 12 1/2 blocks, kept coming out 12 1/4. So I went back and check my seams and they were a scant larger than 1/4 in.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Weekend going ok, just nice and lazy. Cindy it is also fine with me for you to set a date to have fat quarters in. It will make it easier for you too when you are taking care of it all. I made some carrot/pumpkin muffins last night, but we counted calories/carbs. They turned out so good, and healthy. I used a box of carrot cake mix, one egg, and half can of pumpkin. That's it! I sprayed the muffin pan with non stick spray. I actually put a teaspoon of icing on top of each, but as I said we counted it all out for both calories and carbs. They are full of fiber. Plenty to have later too. Made a dozen. Set temperature at 350 for about 20 minutes. I just gave you a recipe for those who like these flavors. lol...
Old 04-21-2013, 01:06 PM

SOunds like a good recipe JuneBillie. I'll have to try it. Had a piece of cake with coffee this afternoon - my one and only snack for today. Other than that, have really watched what went in my mouth. Scales are moving down, so that is good.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM

Losing slowly is better than not at all. It does seem to be that way for most.

Junebillie.........your recipe sounds very good. I am not a fan of carrot cake.

Kathleen..... keep up your work on losing.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 AM

It sounds like everyone is doing so well! I hung in this weekend. Had friends over on Sunday for lunch and did go ahead and enjoy lunch with everyone which was not exactly on my plan, but didn't allow the one meal to turn into a free-for-all and this morning am back on track! Meanmom; I am so glad there aren't any candy stores near me - 75% off homemade chocolate candy would have been so far beyond my ability to resist!

Cindy - I agree that with all the other sentiments regarding requiring the FQ's being turned in on time - I'm not sure I did get mine in on time this month but if I didn't there really isn't any good reason why I couldn't have! And will do so in the future!

As to quilting - I finished a pretty large quilt top and decided it was too big to do on my machine and I have spent so much time on it, I couldn't bear to send it out to be quilted so I started my very first hand-quilted quilt! Took me a bit to find a comfortable position and get the rocking stitch down - but after tearing it out a few times, I think I finally got it last night and loved doing it. Just sat quietly with a movie on snuggled up with the quilt all around me and quilted away! Just had to share -
Old 04-22-2013, 06:40 AM

sewreal you need to share a picture of your quilt. And yes your FQ was here on time. Thank you.
I am glad you didn't let the one meal cause you to fall off the wagon for many meals. that seems to happen alot for some people. It is all about control.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

I have lost another 1.4 pounds, and very happy about that. I am feeling hungry right now though, and have ran out of veggies, so I need to get some. It's a nice day today. I have one window open, need to open some more for awhile. Plan to sew some more tonight on some projects.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 AM

Good morning everyone! Bright and cheerful? I'm just awake - not so bright or cheerful, but up and moving. No coffee yet, either. Yikes and I'm here typing. No telling what'll come out of these fingers. Here goes.
TABOO TUESDAY - "Mind Your Portions, Please". From an article in the current Women magazine by Paulette Lambert, RD, CDE. No doubt, more than a few of your friends are making an effort to improve their diet and lose some estra pounds, driven not only by a desire to feel better, but also to reduce their risk of chronic disease (that's us here). The majority of the diet plans out there will leave dieters disappointed as most people fail to comply with a prescribed diet plan for more than three to four weeks. Diets just aren't sustainable for the long haul.
The solution? Don't diet. Instead try a different tactic: focus on eating healthier foods and healthier-sized portions to achieve your goal weight. Instead of what should I eat - how much of this should I eat? is the more important question. How much we eat is as critical as what we eat. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tells us that serving sizes now are four times larger than in 1950. The obesity level in the US is currently at 68.7 percent, with the average adult 26 pounds heavier than in the 1950s. Even restaurants are serving much larger portions than ever before. Plates, bowls and cups have all increased in size. A standard dinner plate prior to 1970 was 9" - now it is 10 to 12" which means it can hold 25% more food, leading to more calories and greater obesity. One study showed participants serving themselves 77 percent more pasta when given a larger bowl.
So, how can I move toward more healthier choices and work to control portion size?
*Use a scale and a measuring cup a few times a week when dining at home to help you develop more accurate visual references. If you're serious about losing weight, spend the few minutes to get it right.
*Use smaller plates, 1-cup bowls and 8-oz glasses for meals. You'll be amazed at how much less you consume.
*Eat three meals and one or two snacks to avoid getting overly hungry. Adults need to eat every five hours to maintain an adequate glucose level; a glucose level that is too low for an extended time can lead to much higher food consumption before satiation is reached.
Finally:
*Revise your plate. The new guidelines typically cut calories by one-third and yet leave you satisfied. Decrease protein to one-quarter of the plate, limit grains to 1 cup and fill the other half of the plate with vegetables and fruit.
Eat Healthy, my friends.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 AM

Good Morning.....no coffee here, but then again not a coffee drinker. Kathleen I love your post this morning. That has been my attitude for a few years. I don't like the work diet as it seems to only be temporary. To me it is a life stye change to where I need to change my complete life. I have gone to the smaller plate, measure my portions.

Have a great day my friends, remember you are in control of your life and what you choose to do with your life and body.