Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: April Weight Loss

Meanmom, I mailed my FQ's today. You should get them sometime next week. We are headed out of town for a family get together with my husband's family. Of course there is food. One sister-in-law is known for her homemade yeast rolls, bread, and cinnamon rolls. I not going to even stress out over this. We are only staying one night of a 3 day weekend, so I'll be back home to the stricter food plan by Sat. night. The weather is lovely here. The sun is shining and the temp is so nice with a little breeze. Wonder if we should pack for snow, ice, hail, sleet, etc...! haha Just kidding. We never know what Arkansas weather will bring. Hope everyone is getting to work on some sort of quilting project. I'm taking some blocks to show what I've been working on. I love to hear the "oohs and awwws"...haha

I am not good with the hula hoop. I don't know that I was very good as a child and I am no better now. Will wait until tomorrow to try it again. I could keep it up for a few seconds, that's all. Just think how good I will be in a few weeks!

Hey, a few minutes of keeping the Hula Hoop up is a few minutes more than I was able to do. My daughters hoop just went right to the floor no matter how many times I tried. Good luck tomorrow.

I used to Hula Hoop, but can't at all now. I guess it's because my stomach is bigger than my hips these days. Sad, but true. Be careful Pam, I think I'd injure myself, too, if I tried to do it!!

I like the idea of getting up 5 mins out of every hour! I'm actually able to spend some time piecing tonight and it feels good to get up, walk around, and stretch a little. I should get down in the floor when I'm done and do some real stretching. I'm trying to stay indoors, so no walks for me now. The pollen is killing me. Today I had such a hard time breathing and my head/nose/throat are killing me. Hopefully, I'll feel better in a few days. I'm so tired I'm not going to beat myself up about not going to the gym or walking, but I'm still trying to eat right.

Blog Entries
    I put some videos from utube in my favorites so I have a focus in my breaks. Today's were only a few minutes long and concentrated on my shoulder, then my back. I will choose some more tomorrow. I like the frozen shoulder one though right now the diagnosis is torn rotator cuff (again). I've had a frozen shoulder (X2) and they seem very similar to me.

I have always been so amazed by people who can successfully do the hula hoop, it's never worked for me. I really like the idea of getting up and moving for a few minutes every hour, that is something I should definitely try. I tend to get too focused on what I'm doing and time disappears. If I am holding a book or a mouse I don't realize how much time has passed until I go to move my thumb and get a zinger. I wonder if I could set my phone to give me a beep every half hour to remind me to take a break. Today looks to be a nice day for a walk in the park, it is supposed to get up to 72!
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Hi All. The last several days have been really good eating and exercise wise. We started out for a three mile walk this afternoon and got rained out. I just hope that I will be able to keep up the good habits when I return to the stress of work tomorrow.
    Now for the exciting news: I just found out that I will become a first time grandmother in early September. My eldest and her husband are expecting a baby boy.
    I was going to start a baby girl quilt because I just bought a pink baby jelly roll, but now I will change gears and start cutting out the pieces for a baby boy quilt.

Congrats mateoh. Just think, you get to spoil the baby and someone else has to enforce the rules!
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

I am actually looking forward to that. I am actually considering a move to Minnesota so that I could know my grandson well ,otherwise I will be supporting the airlines frequently.

Blog Entries
    How exciting for you, mateoh. Grandchildren are such fun.

I did my first two full miles this season today. I hope I have time to repeat it tomorrow. My oldest daughter is having a knee replacement in the morning. I have an out of town doctor app't, but as soon as I return, I'll need to go to the hospital so her oldest daughter can go home.

Still playing with the swoon block. I miscut some pieces so I don't know what's going on right now.

Blog Entries
    I have received 3 months of FQ from Mateoh, Susanna10, CindyA, and TeddyBear Lady. They are all so pretty. I had better behave myself and eat right. Hopefully I can stay out of the Easter candy.
    Mateoh congratulations on the grandson. Grandkids are so fun. I have 2 grandsons 3 1/2 and 1 year old. I have a granddaughter due May 9th. I can't wait.
    Pat

Thanks for the reminder, Pat. I need to get mine in the mail!

Just came upon this article. Maybe something we should all think about doing.

Our Year of No Sugar: One Family’s Grand Adventure

By Everyday Health Guest Contributor
    Published Apr 1, 2014
    YOUR REACTION?
    I LIKE IT

SO SO

INSPIRING

INTRIGUING

IMPORTANT

By Eve O. Schaub, Special to Everyday Health
    Once upon a time, I was healthy; at least I thought I was.
    Sure, I lacked enough energy to get me through the day, but with all the commercials on TV touting energy drinks for America’s tired masses, I always assumed I wasn’t the only one suffering. And sure, everyone in my family dreaded the coming cold and flu season, but again, I thought come January everyone develops some degree of germophobia.
    At least, that’s what I thought until I heard some disturbing new information about the effects of sugar. According to several experts, sugar is the thing that is making so many Americans fat and sick. The more I thought about it the more this made sense to me — a lot of sense. One in seven Americans has metabolic syndrome. One in three Americans is obese. The rate of diabetes is skyrocketing and cardiovascular disease is America’s number one killer.
    According to this theory, all of these maladies and more can be traced back to one large toxic presence in our diet… sugar.
    A Bright Idea

I took all of this newfound knowledge and formulated an idea. I wanted to see how hard it would be to have our family — me, my husband, and our two children (ages 6 and 11) — spend anentire year eating foods that contained no added sugar. We’d cut out anything with an added sweetener, be it table sugar, honey, molasses, maple syrup, agave or fruit juice. We also excluded anything made with fake sugar or sugar alcohols. Unless the sweetness was attached to its original source (e.g., a piece of fruit), we didn’t eat it.
    Once we started looking we found sugar in the most amazing places: tortillas, sausages, chicken broth, salad dressing, cold cuts, crackers, mayonnaise, bacon, bread, and even baby food. Why add all of this sugar? To make these items more palatable, add shelf life, and make packaged food production ever cheaper.
    Call me crazy, but avoiding added sugar for a year struck me as a grand adventure. I was curious as to what would happen. I wanted to know how hard it would be, what interesting things could happen, how my cooking and shopping would change. After continuing my research, I was convinced removing sugar would make us all healthier. What I didn’t expect was how not eating sugar would make me feel better in a very real and tangible way.
    A Sugar-Free Year Later

It was subtle, but noticeable; the longer I went on eating without added sugar, the better and more energetic I felt. If I doubted the connection, something happened next which would prove it to me: my husband’s birthday.
    During our year of no sugar, one of the rules was that, as a family, we could have one actual sugar-containing dessert per month; if it was your birthday, you got to choose the dessert. By the time September rolled around we noticed our palates starting to change, and slowly, we began enjoying our monthly “treat” less and less.
    But when we ate the decadent multi-layered banana cream pie my husband had requested for his birthday celebration, I knew something new was happening. Not only did I not enjoy my slice of pie, I couldn’t even finish it. It tasted sickly sweet to my now sensitive palate. It actually made my teeth hurt. My head began to pound and my heart began to race; I felt awful.
    It took a good hour lying on the couch holding my head before I began to recover. “Geez,” I thought, “has sugar always made me feel bad, but because it was everywhere, I just never noticed it before?”
    After our year of no sugar ended, I went back and counted the absences my kids had in school and compared them to those of previous years. The difference was dramatic. My older daughter, Greta, went from missing 15 days the year before to missing only two.
    Now that our year of no sugar is over, we’ll occasionally indulge, but the way we eat it is very different. We appreciate sugar in drastically smaller amounts, avoid it in everyday foods (that it shouldn’t be in in the first place), and save dessert for truly special occasions. My body seems to be thanking me for it. I don’t worry about running out of energy. And when flu season comes around I somehow no longer feel the urge to go and hide with my children under the bed. But if we do come down with something, our bodies are better equipped to fight it. We get sick less and get well faster. Much to my surprise, after our no-sugar life, we all feel healthier and stronger. And that is nothing to sneeze at.
    Eve O. Schaub is the author of Year of No Sugar: A Memoir. She holds a BA and a BFA from Cornell University, and a MFA from the Rochester Institute of Technology. Her personal essays have been featured many times on the Albany, New York, NPR station WAMC. You can join Schaub’s family and take your own Day of No Sugar Challenge on April 9, 2014.

This article is inspiring! I wish I could be that dedicated. I have been able to refrain from the Easter Candy and only ate what I brought to work today. Yay! I hope I can do as well when my doctor lets me return to the full 12 hour shifts and the stress settles back in.

Irishrose, I hope your daughter is doing well. Knee replacements are very painful. I just had arthroscopic surgery with a partial removal of my meniscus and I have a whole new appreciation for my orthopedic patients. I worked on an orthopedic unit for 8 years prior to changing hospitals. I love working closer to home but miss my Ortho patients.
    Remind your daughter to stay on top of the pain so that she will have more success with her physical therapy. I am hoping she has an uneventful recovery.

Blog Entries
    She's doing great today. No pain with only oral meds and up walking a little, plus a short session of PT. I know she has a few more days of pain, but she will be a very good patient so she can hurry and get her other one done and get her real life back. I saw my ortho today. Surgery date is June 13 - my choice - he preferred May 6. I left with some questions. I will have to call his ass't tomorrow. Why snip the Achilles tendon if I have no pain there? Achilles tendon pain is generally not referred so how will that help my forefoot? He wanted two days in the hospital - I want outpatient.

I had a lovely day. My friend went with me - actually, he drove me. We went to lunch at Outback and then shopping for a while. I dropped him off and did the evening shift with my daughter. Her daughters had done the day. I felt very maternal dressing her for bed and tucking her in even though she's an adult. I'm too tired to work on the Swoon block so I may as well go to bed. I'm on early shift tomorrow as K's daughters are both going to work. I know she has two PT sessions, but they shouldn't be too long. She's not looking forward to the group exercises.

I ate well during the day - not so good this evening - another reason to go to bed - there's nothing to snack on there.

Blog Entries
    THe year with no sugar sounds difficult and interesting. Not sure I could do it. Sugar and salt are hidden in so much that we eat. A friend is doing a 30 day sugar free thing. I will try to get more info from her. SHe is on a major health kick. She runs many miles etc. Her goal is to do a marathon. SHe has done several half marathons. She is a lot younger than I am. I think she will be 30 this year.
    Irish I hope your daughters recovery continues to be uneventful. I have a torn meniscus plus need a replacement, so one issue in my knee aggrivates the other. It has been doing better lately since i have been on the elliptical some. This morning during running club (I walk) I wasn't sure I was going to be able to finish the mile it was bothering me so much. I guess I will give it a few weeks and decide what to do.
    My DS has moved here from JApan, he just got out of the Navy. He is looking for a job, house etc. He is getting a lot of calls for interviews. Hopefully it will all work out.

Irishrose, I am glad your daughter has had such a good day. I know that many patients don't look forward to the group exercising but many of them end up enjoying it. I hope that all continues to do well. It sounds like you had a very nice day.

Blog Entries
    The big meds wore off today so K was in more pain, but the oral meds were doing a pretty good job taking care of it. The joint camp went well. One of her daughters went with her so she'd know what to help her mother with at home. I was with her a this morning then came home to figure out the swoon block and went back this evening for a while and got her tucked in for the night. One employee said she heard K is going home tomorrow, but I told her to refuse. She needs another day.

Quilt group in the morning so I need this block together. I made K some rice pudding - I know she wouldn't be a fan of fan of the hospital food. I dropped one casserole dish full off to my friend. We were laughing about liking the food our mothers made for us - considering our advanced age(s) makes it funny.

Not good eating day for me. This may just be a maintaining week.

I didn't get signed up this month. I will wait until May. I have not been doing so well in losing weight lately.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Went to Las Vegas for the weekend and gained 5 lbs. I just lost 3 lbs. before I went. Hope everyone is doing better than me!!!!

I have been very good with my diet but the scale is not budging. I wouldn't feel so bad about it if I was cheating but I didn't even eat the birthday cupcake that one of my young nurses, ( aka, hospital daughters) brought me on Tuesday. I brought it home for my husband and my mom to share. Oh well, I am not going to throw in the towel. At least I have lost 4 pounds this month and the scale is not moving up.
    Irishrose, is your daughter home yet? I am glad that you encouraged your daughter to stay one more day. Sometimes we see our patients being rushed home only to come right back again. I went back to work on Monday and worked three days in a row. My right knee is not too happy today, so I went back to icing and taking it easy today.
    My baby girl (19) is home for the weekend from the University of Dayton and I am very happy to have her here. I do miss her terribly but she is enjoying college.
    I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter Weekend.

Hubby gets back tonight. So much easier to eat better when he is gone. I really feel that he tries to sabotage my diet.

Blog Entries
    mateoh, no, she didn't stay the next day. She's home with her oldest daughter staying with her and the younger one available, too. Each one went to joint camp with her for one session so they'd know how to help her. Her next younger sister will be here Sunday to spend a week with her. C has had two successful knee replacements so that's not all bad. They shared a bedroom for many years as children - until they were teenagers - so they enjoy a chance to stay together. They are crazy together, but laughter is good medicine, so that's to the good. I will the runner. C is recovering from extensive foot surgery, but that's going well this time, too. The house will have C's knee wheely thing and K's walker. Good thing it's one level with a very open floor plan. Rehab unit??

Wow, I had a meeting today, then a massage therapy session which is a combo of working on my torn rotator cuff and myofascial work for the fibromyalgia. I stayed awake long enough to get my GS home from the Y and then slept for nearly 5 hours. What did you do to me, Jason? Of course, a six hour quilting session yesterday didn't help. The members of the worship committee at church must not be quilters and not understand how many hours in a handmade quilt. I finally have one other sewer there which helped (not her fault this was her first session - her MIL was very ill and has now passed). She built a pretty back while a worked on the front. It's not symmetrical, so it's a trip. Luckily, I had a ripper on board - she won't sew, but she does a good job unsewing. Also a presser.

I don't think I had a meal today - just many snacks. Maybe I had better start using myfitnesspal tomorrow. If you have to record it, you eat better. Have you ever checked the carbs on bottled smoothies? Odwalla Mango Tango fruit smoothie with no sugar or sugar substitute has 64 gram of carbs. I will use the ones I purchased recently up slowly and take them off my future lists. Half a bottle will be plenty of carbs for one meal.

I had a long phone call with my ortho's PA today. I agreed to let him clip the Achilles tendon when he rebuilds the front of my foot in June. I'm confident he knows what he's doing, I just had some questions as that part came as a surprise. Now to get the house and garden done so I can be a lady of leisure this summer. The section of the kitchen that needs a second coat was hard on my shoulder, but it has to be done, so there's nothing to do but do it. I found out my friend who works for me is no painter. I had to do the ceiling myself after he tried twice. Wallpapering the soffits with fabric is going to be interesting, too. I will call John for a lot of outside work, but in my experience men are not good weeders - can't tell the difference between a baby flower and a weed.

Time to go sort a cardboard box of sewing 'stuff' that was pushed into another room when we were rushing to put the new floor in. I hate cardboard - it looks like moving day. That's one thing I can do before I go sleep some more. I can't walk the dogs at midnight. Living one block from the Manistee Nat'l Forest means I share my land with bears, coyotes and such. I walked the furgirls about 9:30 last night and something had Lily on high alert. She kept looking toward the woods. Yes, I have met a bear and a coyote - on separate occasions, of course.

Have a good night, y'all.
    Last edited by irishrose; 04-17-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am off of work today and Monday. My new stove finally arrived this morning. I fought with Samsung for months over the new stove I bought from them not working correctly. They kept telling me it was set to factory specs. It was like the whole thing wasn't getting enough gas. I had repairmen here 7 times. 3 different companies sent by Samsung. I have found that repairmen seen to know a little bit about a lot of different things but none of them seem to be experts on anything. I was told by several people (not the repair guys) that it sounded like I had a bad oriface down inside the stove. They all ignored it and just adjusted the flame height on the burners. The new stove seems so much better. Lowes ended up taking care of it since Samsung didn't seem to honor their warranty.
    Easter dinner has been switched to my house this year. My sister was going to do it but her mother in law passed away in Florida. They are having the funeral in Ohio so they are working on that. SHe has been running back and forth to Florida for the last 2 months. A 12 hour drive. The family took turns. Her SIL who was supposed to help with the funeral things had her FIL pass away on Wednesday so she needs help. I told her I would take care of all of the stuff and set up her house for the get together after the funeral. She has tons to do.
    My sewing machine is headed to the shop today. I am so sad. They said it would take 2 to 3 weeks. I am having withdrawal symptoms already:-(

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast