Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: April Weight Loss

I could not do a year of no sugar. Since I was forced to give up all the foods I love when I went gluten free, I absolutely refuse to give up my Pepsi. A girl needs at least one vice! Now it might be interesting to try to cut down on all the other added sugars, and I already try to avoid all artificial sweetners.

I think I would be hesitant too about letting a doc clip a tendon, that sounds pretty scary. Sometimes it is so hard to trust the doctors. Usually it is the right thing to do, but I have regretted it a couple of times. I do have to say that the times I've really regretted trusting the doctor over my own instincts were when I was young and my parents had the final say. They believed that doctors could do no wrong. I have changed docs more than once when it didn't "feel right". It is so important to ask questions, and make them explain everything until you are sure you are doing the right thing. It's your body after all!

meanmom I think manufacturer's are penny wise and pound foolish, as grandma used to say. It would have been cheaper for them to replace the stove when the first repair didn't work instead of repeated service calls! It also might have saved them a customer since I don't think my next stove will be a Samsung! Do you have a backup sewing machine to help with the withdrawal symptoms? I know my 401 is my favorite, but if necessary I do have others I can use. I just realized I never got your address! I have the FQs all picked out, and kept wondering why they were sitting on my desk lol.

My weight went the wrong direction this month. Apparently the two weeks of tossing my cookies last month resulted in only a temporary weight loss. Sigh, I have gained back five of those pounds. Still less than the first of the year, so that is good.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Blog Entries
    I trust this doctor completely. We have been together trying to keep me walking since 1993. I just was taken by surprise and needed more info before I agreed to any tendon clipping. Speaking of those feet, they are very sore today and I still have to get the dogs out.

My weight isn't going down at any great speed - it's down one, up two, etc. I have not been to Dairy Queen since it reopened for the season so that's a plus. Now to get back on track eating regular meals.

Hi ALL,
    I have been using My Fitness Pal this month and it does keep me accountable. I also can record meals on my phone if i am not home on the computer so there is no excuse for me not to keep track. I started printing out my daily logs so that I can easily see if I slip up somewhere. The scale finally went down a half a pound today. I will be glad to go see my endocrinologist in May. He lowered my dose of Synthroid the last time i went in, but I am starting to feel cold all of the time, much like I felt right after having my Thyroid removed 4 years ago.
    Irishrose, I am glad that you are so comfortable with your Ortho surgeon. I think that is very important. That is how I feel about the Ortho Surgeon treating me. I know he gives me all of the information I need to have and does not mind me coming back with questions.
    I am determined to stay away from all of the Easter treats! Happy weekend everyone.

Blog Entries
    I totally trust my Ortho too. I had major rotator cuff repair 2 years ago and from what I have heard my recovery was easy. I only needed the major pain meds 2 days. I have pretty much total range of motion. My ortho teases me that if I would keep up the PT I could be a pitcher on a baseball team. My knee has been bothering me quite a bit this past week. I might have to consider replacement this summer. I was hoping to wait a while longer.
    THe weather here is beautiful this weekend. I decided that it was too pretty out to bake a ham for Easter. I went out this afternoon and bought a couple of racks of ribs and will BBQ them. I picked up my GS yesterday afternoon. He has been bugging me to spend the night. He is 3 1/2. We made most of the food for the Easter dinner tomorrow. He loves to cook. My kitchen is a mess but we had lots of fun. He wanted to stay again tonight but I needed to get more done. He also played with his 2 uncles. They found a box turtle today and they played with it. He also played video games with them. They gave him a controller that didn't work. He cried when I took him home. I will have to do it again sometime soon.
    My baby graduates from college next weekend.

I have been sick this week, but unfortunately no weight loss accompanying it. Hope I start feeling better soon.

Pam, thanks for the article on leaving out sugar. That is very interesting. I would love to try it and see if I have more energy. I've always felt that I never had enough energy for my age, wonder if it's just who I am, my eating habits, or something medical (thyroid?, blood pressure?).

Blog Entries
    I hope everyone had a great Easter. I ate some candy but not too much. I had Easter at my house. I grilled ribs because the weather was so nice. I would love to do the year with no sugar. Not sure I could do it. I am trying to cut out the obvious sugar. I don't think I would stick with reading all of the labels for where it is hidden.
    Lauriejo you can make pretty much anything you want gluten free. My SIL and nephew have celiac and make all kinds of things GF.
    I was looking for something to wear today. As I dug thru things in my closet I found clothes I didn't even know I had. I have some new shoes I want to wear and was trying to match my outfit to them.
    Healthy eating to everyone. Try to stay out of the Easter candy!
    Pat

We had a nice Easter here. I made reservations so no leftovers here. It was a buffet and we all pigged out but at least it was just one meal. I didn't even buy any candy so none of that around either. It was such a gorgeous day that I even got outside and took the baby around our circle a couple of times in the stroller.
    I took several days off from my hula hoop but when I got it out last night I was able to do about 10 rounds (a few separate times). It's unbelievable how hard it is to do but I'm getting better. The thing is so heavy that it actually hurts when it drops on your foot or heal. Still hurts my muffin top too but I'm hoping that will be gone in a couple of months.
    Weight watchers has a new activity monitor. You can wear it on your underwear or keep it in a pocket. I wear mine on my bra. It detects movement up/down, side to side, backward/forward. Turns out I am a lot more active than I thought. Especially on days that I babysit! I find that I rarely stand still anymore. I do a lot of dancing or just moving side to side. Instead of walking to the bathroom (or anywhere in the house) I jog taking very small steps. It's just fun to plug that tracker into my computer and see how active I am. I find that even without doing actual exercise, I can still meet my activity goals and earn extra points so I could eat more if I wanted to. Now if I could just make myself figure up all the points and track all the food that I eat. My daughter is very good about tracking her food and made it to her goal weight a couple of weeks ago. Of course she only had to lose 22 lbs instead of the 45 that I had. I still have 25 to go.

We had a family Easter here at home. I don't eat chicken, beef, or pork but we did cook a traditional Ham for the the few who were here. My kids are all over the country, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Virginia, New York, and my youngest one is in college in Ohio. She was the only one who made it home. So, there were just four from my family which included myself, my DD, DH, my mother, and my daughters boyfriend was able to join us as his family had celebrated on Saturday. We even did the Easter egg hunt for the teens and they had a great time. I had Salmon for my dinner. I sent most of the left over Easter Candy back to school with my daughter to share with friends as they enter the last two weeks of school and finals week. Thank goodness, I might be tempted on the more stressful days.

No sugar diet??? Well, I am at least trying to eat better and keeping track on My Fitness Pal. This is the first time I have used it and really like it. You can just add calories that are written on the packages. Really hard to loose weight when you get older.

Hubby grilled ham slices this year since it was so warm, it was yummy! I have only eaten a few jelly beans, trying to be good.

I do make most everything I used to make before we went gluten free, but it is not the same. The texture and taste of gluten free is just not as good. Bread and pasta were two of my absolutely most favoritest things to eat, and I have not found anything that compares. Gluten free options are also way more expensive, so we have to limit how much we can buy. So I end up feeling deprived and cling to my Pepsi.

Weather is so much better now and I can get outside and walk hooray!
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Blog Entries
    lauriejo, what flour mix are you using? I don't eat bread because I can't have yeast, but my homemade mix makes some good cookies and muffins.

I made some diet soup. It's to be eaten for three meals a day, but I'm only using it for dinner. The scales aren't going down yet, but I feel lighter. Odd. My clothes don't fit any better - I'm at my largest size so I need to get this under control. I'm tired of having to try on three tops before I find one that fits.

I'm putting the last border on the church quilt today. It won't go quickly because I have fit a lot together. but it has to be done by 9:30 tomorrow morning so it's crunch time.

I am losing weight and getting healthier!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mateoh View Post
    My daughter just started working for My Fitness Pal in San Francisco and she had been after me to try it out. So far so good, at least it keeps me accountable in writing down my meals and snacks. Now, if I could increase my activity it might go a little better. Yesterday I was able to walk for 45 minutes in the morning and tried for a repeat in the afternoon but only managed to get in a 25 minute walk in the evening before my knee became too painful.
    I'm not very smart about my smartphone but just managed to download the app and sign into the site.
    thank you (and your daughter) for bringing it up

I'm completely off track. Trying to get back but it's so hard.

Blog Entries
    I have been doing pretty good with all of the candy around here. I only had 4 peanut M&M's yesterday. None so far today. Now I just need to get off of my butt and exercise.

Stupid scales will not go down more than 3 lbs. I am glad I am on this site or I would give up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
    I'm completely off track. Trying to get back but it's so hard.
    Teddybear Lady, What can we do to help you? You know what has to be done. Is there anything we can do help you get back on track. I check in here a few times a day when I need a break from whatever and would like to offer you any support I can virtually.

K, I haven't purchased a Smartphone yet, but I'm getting closer. I'll have all kinds of questions when I do.

My weight was down a little at the doctor's office today. I'll take it as a start in the right direction.
    Last edited by irishrose; 04-23-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    lauriejo, what flour mix are you using? I don't eat bread because I can't have yeast, but my homemade mix makes some good cookies and muffins. I find one that fits.
    I have to admit that I kind of gave up on flour mixes. I spent a fortune when I first went gluten free and couldn't find anything I really liked. So now I just do without, well except I have found a couple pastas that are okay. I have yet to find a cracker that is decent. The only cookies I like are the ones that are naturally gluten free. Well there is a local bakery that makes great gf cookies, but the price is horrendous. Especially now that I am laid off.

I know my biggest problem right now is the motivation to get my hiney moving. The more I don't move, the harder it is to move. I really wish I had a walking buddy. My BFF was going to be moving in down the street and she would have been a great walking buddy, but that fell through.

I gained back half the weight I lost last month in the first week this month, but it is very slowly coming back off again. But, I am still up for the month. I think I need to find a different goal. The goal of losing weight is not working for me. It feels like a punishment. I need to think of a goal that is a reward.

HI all,
    I have been continuing to use My Fitness Pal and I am really enjoying it. Although I will generally plan my next day's meals on my PC, I use my Smart Phone when I am out or in the event I didn't get the chance to enter the evening before at home. I switched up my diet a bit two weeks ago and it has made a difference. The first week the scale didn't seem to want to move at first, but I am down 8 1/2 pounds now. I was following a Vegan diet for about a year and although I loved the increased energy I don't think my body liked all of the complex carbohydrates. I spoke with a nutritionist and I decided to try adding fish and eggs back into my diet, I limit my starches and document everything I eat and don't allow myself to eat what isn't planned. It sounds pretty rigid but for me that works best. My priority is to get this weight off and hopefully by taking the extra weight off my knee, I won't need a knee replacement in the future. If I do still need surgery being in better shape can only help. I remember reading that for every 5 pounds one loses, it is like taking 15 pounds off the joints of ones body. I hope that is true. Next week I will be traveling to Ohio to pick up my daughter from college, so I hope I can keep my resolve and stay on track.

You have lost 8 1/2 lbs this month. WOW

Susanna, it has not been easy and I know that the weight loss will eventually slow down and that is when it will be tough to remain on tract. I was almost at my goal weight 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer and had to have my thyroid removed. The Endocrinologist told me at my first appointment that I would probably gain weight and unfortunately for me, he was right. I am thankful I don't have to loose as much as I did 4 years ago but I have gained about 44 pounds. When I decided that I was tired of being overweight 4 years ago, I had 101 pounds to loose. I am glad I found this thread and this weight loss challenge. It's nice to know that I am not alone and that there are others facing the same daily challenges as I am. I love the support system. Now, I just have to continue to be in control and not bend.

Blog Entries
    I recieved FQ for 3 months from Lauriejo yesterday.

Someone was selling candy bars today after church. My husband bought 20 of them. 20 candy bars! I think I have mentioned I think he is trying to sabotage my dieting.

20 candy bars, yikes! I am a sucker for the school kids who sell candy bars, but I only buy a couple usually. Hubby and son make them disappear very quickly. Isn't that thoughtful for them to do that!?!

Blog Entries
    20 candy bars? What a kind person he is to support the group selling them. Now he can take to work and put them in the break room if his work place has such a thing.

I put the first strip of fabric (I couldn't find a wallpaper border I liked) up on the soffits - I'm not sure I like it. It's close to the color I painted the cabinets. I think the best thing to do is let it dry and check it out. The print is more cottagey than I'm used to so that's another adjustment.

Another month on the down swing and my weight is only down a little - but that beats up going up. I'll need my weight today when I go walking to keep from blowing away. It's nasty out there. My big dog wouldn't go out. I think the snapping flag was scaring her.

Have a good day, everyone.

I have to go argue with the cable company. They are billing me for a past due bill, but when I go to their website it shows the payment was made on the 13th.

I think I walked a bajillion miles on Saturday. Okay that might be a slight exaggeration lol. We moved my dad my his independent living apartment to a room in the assisted living section of the facility. Since it was just across the parking lot we walked everything over. Fortunately we had a couple of maintenance guys with carts for the couch and recliner. Hubby and I did the rest. By the time we got home I could barely even more. The medicine didn't help much. Woke up Sunday and it took awhile to even stand up. Yuck. Today is a little better. Of course since he was moving from a one bedroom apartment with a patio and walk in closet to a single room it means I still have to empty out his old apartment.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast