Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: April Weight Loss

I've never heard of putting fabric on walls. What do you use to make it stick on?
    I am spending the day preparing food for my card group tonight. Most of it is really healthy. I must have spent almost 3 hours chopping veggies. Two more things to make; then I'm done. Most of us have been in this card group for 30 years. We all met at newcomers club. We play 500. It's always a fun time when we get together. Sometimes more like a therapy session.

Blog Entries
    I went for my allergy treatment today. It seems to be working as I am normally miserable this time of year even when I am taking prescription and over the counter meds together. I have a little bit of drainage but not much. I met with their nutritionist today and I think I will try her out. It isn't covered by insurance. She had some good points. My diet is pretty good in my opinion and I don't feel like I am losing like I should. I have an appointment with her on Tuesday. This is not the kind of medicine I am used to. It is all alternative therapies. Very interesting.
    My knee (that needs to be replaced) was bothering me so bad on Friday I almost called my surgeon to schedule surgery. I decided to give it until today and see how it was. It is better. I did a lot of walking on Saturday as my baby graduated from college as a nurse. We walked clear across campus to the graduation and the to the other side of campus for the nursing ceremony. Then we went out to dinner downtown, more walking. It wasn't too bad yesterday. I decided maybe I have been babying it too much lately. I did 10 minutes on the elliptical tonight. We will see if I can walk in the morning.

Blog Entries
    I have posted the new thread for May. I can't believe it is this late already. I am having difficulties getting the link to come up on here. I will PM Cindy for instructions.

Blog Entries
    Open your thread, go to the very top bar on the entire page (the www bar, not the QB), right click, choose 'copy', come back here, start a reply, right click again and choose 'paste'. That works for me. Probably old school, but, hey, whatever it takes.

Our winds have been wicked today. I came home to one of the fiberglass panels around my carport blown off. Two more are loose (each one has 9 or more screws with large washers so it's not easy to blow one off - hasn't happened in the 20 years I've lived here.) It's time for them to come down for Summer, but not that way. I talked to my handyman's wife over the weekend, but he hasn't called. I wonder if he received the message? Lots to do outside and I limit my walking on rough ground. I'd rather walk the dogs and let John take down panels and rake leaves. John owes me 13 hours - he shopped here for his wife's anniversary present so I can keep him busy without any cash. I love good old fashioned bartering.

I am a huge fan of alternative medicine, but occasionally need my orthopedic surgeon. Right now my favorite is my massage therapist, but I need to scale back on the visits. My insurance doesn't cover any at all. I wonder what I can barter with Jason?

Oh, the fabric - you can apply wallpaper paste to the wall or just soak the fabric in liquid starch and wring it out. I used undiluted Stayflo starch. So far, so good, but it still looks dark to me. It is supposed to be easily to remove unlike the wallpapers I've dealt with.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...s-t245941.html

Here is the link for the May thread
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

[QUOTE=irishrose;6688694]Teddybear Lady, What can we do to help you? You know what has to be done. Is there anything we can do help you get back on track. I check in here a few times a day when I need a break from whatever and would like to offer you any support I can virtually.

Just knowing that a complete stranger is willing to encourage me has really helped. I've been on my eating plan strict for two days now and have gotten all my water in. Thank you for wanting to help me. I get discouraged sometimes and just give up, but all that does is depress me and makes me want to eat. I'm better now. I've signed up for May, so I'll be more active on here.
    Thanks again for thinking of me.

The Teddybear Lady
    Debbie

Blog Entries
    Teddybear Lady, I'm glad to see you back. Staying on track isn't always easy. I did well all day, but just had a chocolate granola bar. It was only half the package, so that's good - I will save the other half for tomorrow night, which is not something I can normally do. Once the pkg is open, it's fair game.

Even though our weather doesn't show it, it is Spring. Our bodies are programmed to eat lighter in the Spring and Summer. We can do it together. I picked up 'Potatoes not Prozac' from the library. It's basically a program to remove our dependence on sugar. Very interesting reading so far. The premise is that the brains of sugar eaters are different from the brains of non sugar eaters. Also sugar eaters are often the children of alcoholics - I fit that picture, for sure. I haven't read as far as the steps yet, though I do know it involves eating breakfast - oh, oh - and a potato in the evening. There is online support - some free and most at a price. It never hurts to expand our knowledge and this may help me.

BTW, I don't consider our fellow followers of this thread strangers. We haven't met physically, but we care about each other and, in my book, that makes us friends.

So, my friend, try to follow your program, add a little movement to your day and spend some time in the sun whether you can walk a mile or not.

Is anyone doing the no sugar thing? If so, are you allowed to use honey? I met with a friend yesterday and she's using organic sugar (I wonder if that's the same as raw sugar I used to get many years ago) and she's even using honey in her coffee. It sounds weird to me but she's ok with it.

I will have no weight loss for April and am trying to motivate myself for May. I made a nice big batch of green beans with potatoes over the weekend and they were really good. If I can get myself to do meal planning over the weekends I know I'll do a better job during the week.

I'm not doing the no sugar thing....yet. Different things about it keep showing up for me on the internet so it keeps me thinking about it. It would be really difficult and a lot of work. I eat out a lot so that would have to stop. Plus I know my husband would never be on board for that. But the side effect sound amazing. One woman said that all of her wrinkle disappeared. That would be pretty awesome. I know I would have a lot few migraines. Just think if instead of hearing how bad fat was way back when, they had instead told us sugar was evil. We would all be much, much healthier.

Blog Entries
    No, honey isn't allowed on a 'no sugar thing', neither is natural sugar. Stevia seems to be allowed by some practitioners because it has no effect on insulin. Sugar is not the enemy for most people, but should be used in moderation. The problem is some of us have as much trouble using sugar in moderation as alcoholics have using alcohol in moderation. To bring in another thought that doesn't sit well here, artificial sugars are poison, IMO, especially NutraSweet (aspartame). Another one to avoid unless you like having a pot tummy is high fructose corn syrup. That's a tough one for me as I use tonic water to get the quinine for muscle spasms - my choices are HFCS, saccharin or aspartame for sweetener. I alternate between the first two - NEVER the third. My sugar of choice is plain old sugar - either the high priced 'natural' cane or the plain white stuff in the grocery store. Moderation, moderation, moderation. A cookie is fine - the whole box isn't.

Moderation is definitely what I try to practice and I thought I was doing okay. Then as I did more research into what portion sizes should be I discovered I was wrong. So now I am trying to reduce my portion sizes. I also try to stick with a diet plan that I can feed to my son & hubby who are not trying to lose weight. The two biggest problems I seem to have are getting in enough exercise and drinking enough water.

I am glad we have not had the horrible storms here, really just a lot of rain. I am thinking of building an ark. Now that would be a good work out, right? Thank goodness those panels were fiberglass and not real glass!
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Blog Entries
    I don't care about the panels, but one put a scratch in my car when the wind broke it after I picked it up. Still not a worry when I consider all that people have lost in the tornado areas. What do all the cups say that are in stores right now? Keep calm and carry on. My new mantra. I bought a red one then I bought it's mate, Don't tell me to keep calm. I had to buy the second one - my husband used to tell me keep calm and that infuriated me.

Off to walk the dogs. They don't care that my feet hurt - hope it's the weather - they always hurt, but this more extreme.

My weight took a nosedive overnight. Now let's hope it stays there and continues downward.

Blog Entries
    It is the end of the month again. DOn't forget to PM me you r weight loss for the month. Also don't forget to sign up for May. I am meeting with a Health Coach on Tuesday. It is $55 for the first visit which is an hour or more. This isn't covered by insurance. I had a consultation with her on Monday she had some interesting points. I don't feel that the scale is reflecting what it should based on what I eat. She works at the office where I go for my alternative allergy treatments.
    I have slowly been returning to exercise. So far the knees are doing OK. I am supposed to do a walk on Saturday, I'm not sure if I am going or not. My DS is returning to Japan tomorrow for 2 weeks. My DIL is due May 8th to have a girl. He is staying 2 weeks and is hoping to be there for the birth.

Well I started the month down, then gained, then lost a little but I am only down a pound for the month. Has anyone heard the results for March? I really thought I had a good chance at those batiks, even though I lost the weight by being sick for two weeks.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Yeah, I don't think we ever heard who won the batiks. Did you send a pm to Cindy about your loss last month? I remember someone put their weight loss on here and she commented that they needed to send a pm.
    I have been going nuts over food the past few days. Have gained 4 lbs since sat am. Ugh.

I didn't lose in April because I went on a "See Food" diet. haha If I saw it, I ate it. I don't know what was wrong with me. I just wanted to eat!!! I'm doing better now. Congratulations to whoever wins for April.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Teddybear Lady, I'm glad to see you back. Staying on track isn't always easy. I did well all day, but just had a chocolate granola bar. It was only half the package, so that's good - I will save the other half for tomorrow night, which is not something I can normally do. Once the pkg is open, it's fair game.

Even though our weather doesn't show it, it is Spring. Our bodies are programmed to eat lighter in the Spring and Summer. We can do it together. I picked up 'Potatoes not Prozac' from the library. It's basically a program to remove our dependence on sugar. Very interesting reading so far. The premise is that the brains of sugar eaters are different from the brains of non sugar eaters. Also sugar eaters are often the children of alcoholics - I fit that picture, for sure. I haven't read as far as the steps yet, though I do know it involves eating breakfast - oh, oh - and a potato in the evening. There is online support - some free and most at a price. It never hurts to expand our knowledge and this may help me.

BTW, I don't consider our fellow followers of this thread strangers. We haven't met physically, but we care about each other and, in my book, that makes us friends.

So, my friend, try to follow your program, add a little movement to your day and spend some time in the sun whether you can walk a mile or not.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    I'm so excited! Your encouraging words seemed to jump start me. I went for my weigh in today, May 1st, and was down 4.4 lbs.

Wow! That's a great loss, TBL!

Great job Teddybear Lady! You did four times better than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
    I didn't lose in April because I went on a "See Food" diet. haha If I saw it, I ate it. I don't know what was wrong with me. I just wanted to eat!!! I'm doing better now. Congratulations to whoever wins for April.
    I love being on the SeeFood diet myself. There is a nice kids poem that I feel is so true, and makes me smile every time I see it.(http://www.poetry4kids.com/m/?pid=661) Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstrips View Post
    I love being on the SeeFood diet myself. There is a nice kids poem that I feel is so true, and makes me smile every time I see it.(http://www.poetry4kids.com/m/?pid=661) Let me know what you think.
    Very clever! Now I'm hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by smallstrips View Post
    Haha, smallstrips. This poem describes my eating for the past few weeks! Cute! I'm going to print it so I can see it every day.

Now I could stick to that diet!

Blog Entries
    Since it is May 4th I will figure out who the winner is for April and post it later today. I have only heard from a few people as to their weight loss. ALso don't forget to sign up on the new thread for May.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    The winner for April is Susanna 10 with a 5 pound loss. SOmeone else had a higher loss but asked that I pass the FQ on to the next person. I will let her identify herself if she wants to. Congratulations.
    We are all making better choices and getting healthier so we are all winners!
    Pat

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast