Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April Weight Loss Winner is Nanny Sandy >

April Weight Loss Winner is Nanny Sandy

April Weight Loss Winner is Nanny Sandy

Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Boy do I hear you Carol. I am not grossly obese just obese. I started at 180 the 12th of March. I am keeping track of every bite I put in my mouth. We are on a trip. (6 hr in the car) This was the hardest for me. I am use to sucking on candy and eating chips and snack in the car. I wasn't sure I could do it but we arrived and I made it. Now if I can just make it on the way home. I am counting the calories. I think gosh a piece of candy is 30 calories. I can't stop at one. I have forced my self to ask my self "Do I really want to use my calories that way" 99% of the time I say no. I gave in this AM was at my daughters getting the Grandkids to school. All the easter candy I had 2 pieces and then ate 3 Pringles. I am beating myself up over it.
I exerciser every day even if only 10 minutes. I will tell you I am sleeping better and feel better. I eat at least an apple a day and most of the time 2!!

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Originally Posted by Rita's mom
MJ thanks for keeping us going on here!

CAROLJ i know you have lost alot of weight recently. Do you mind me asking about how much you averaged a week or month? I got it in my head that if I could lose about 10 pounds a month or 2.5 a week I could stay motivated. Is this do-able? I knew my weight loss would slow down but I can't seem to get it up to the speed I had hoped for.
I've lost 80 pounds. I didn't lose any weight the month my dad died or in March, but I have been losing about 10 pounds a month. My weight loss in the beginning was quicker than it is now. But you need to take into consideration at 245, I burned more calories during an hour of exercise than I do now. At 245 it is easy to cut out 500 calories a day because you're consuming around 3,000 calories, but now it is harder because I would have to cut my calories to around 800 per day.

I would shoot for about 1.5 to 2. pounds a week. Anymore than that isn't advised unless you have medical approval. When I drastically cut my calories I not only lost weight but I was losing hair by the handfuls. Plus, as you get older your skin is not as elastic and the rapid weight loss leads to the saggy elephant look.

What worked for me was making little changes in my life. I gave up soda, then potato chips, and so on. Exercise was a slow start. I could only go around the block before I was winded, now I can cycle about 20+ miles and then take the dog for a walk. Just keep tweeking what you do daily. And remember going to bed a bit hungry isn't going to kill you!

A couple of things I do fairly religiously: that is counting calories and journaling my food. I was surprised at the calories of many "healthy" foods. An ounce of cheddar cheese, (about the size of dice) is 110 calories. By counting calories or knowing the calories of items you make wise choices. I still eat cheese, but it is Feta.

I hope this helps. My life style change started mid June of 2010. So I have an anniversity coming up here.

Oh yeah, not only keep track of your weight loss, but also measure yourself. Many times it looks like nothing is changing, but if you an compare measurements, you may see a reduction in size. This helped me a lot because I would get so depressed because I wasn't losing fast enough. Plus, I would get very angry at myself for letting my weight get so out of hand.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM

Hello everyone. I haven't been able to get back to here to read posts lately. Just wanted to put everbody's mind at rest and let you know you won't be sending the FQ to me. :-( Haven't lost enough to mention but at least I didn't gain a bunch this month. I'm gonna sign up for May too and try to pay more attention. Maybe that will help. Hope everyone else has lost a bunch.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM

[quote=NannySandy: I don't want to sound like a spoil sport, but if we do the "partner" thing, I think that would take away from the overall encouragement and support we give each other as a whole. Then if everybody gets to sending PMs to just their partner, before you know it, the wt loss thread would have hardly any posts on it. Just my thinking, but it's not my decision.]

Sandy said well what I feel. At this point I feel we need to hang together as a group. You never know what effect a simple post will have on another member. I think the format of posting everything openly and sending all the FQs to a winner has been successful. If you want to use a percentage formula, I can do the math, but that should be a community decision. I don't care, personally. I know I can never win because I don't have the pounds to lose that some do, but I don't care. I'm here for the camaraderie and care and concern, not the FQs, though I do love florals.( I don't think 2 pounds will get me any.)

As far as the 'new' restrictions go, I'm not sure there are any. MJ can work that out with admin. Our lives do affect our weight and should be able to be discussed within respectful guidelines.

Hang in there, Carrie, while things get reorganized. We need you. Again, thank you, MJ. Rita's mom, 2 pounds a week is a doable goal for most, but as females with these bodies that are always preparing for a famine, I'd settle for 5 pounds a month. Doesn't my body know it's far beyond child bearing age??

I made another road trip and saw the rheumatologist. He and are not on the same page, but I will try to be open to his way for at least another month. My weight is up today, but that's not surprising. As an emotional eater, I really blew it last night after the MRI. I'm back on track today.

I AM losing weight and becoming more healthy!!!!! Judy
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM

CAROLJ thanks so much for all of the great information. You are so right about how easy it is to get discouraged when you aren't losing. I know it is better to lose slower but I have so much to lose I worry I will get discouraged and give up if I don't lose at a little bit faster rate. I need to get going on my exercise and hopefully that will help.

I agree with what Irish said about a simple post really helping or effecting someone. Reading all of the different posts really help us stay motivated.

Carrie I hope you reconsider and stick with us for May we need you here.

Just courious is 1200 calories what most everyone tries to stick to?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
CAROLJ thanks so much for all of the great information. You are so right about how easy it is to get discouraged when you aren't losing. I know it is better to lose slower but I have so much to lose I worry I will get discouraged and give up if I don't lose at a little bit faster rate. I need to get going on my exercise and hopefully that will help.

I agree with what Irish said about a simple post really helping or effecting someone. Reading all of the different posts really help us stay motivated.

Carrie I hope you reconsider and stick with us for May we need you here.

Just courious is 1200 calories what most everyone tries to stick to?
1,200 is what is recommended to stay healthy and lose weight. It may go lower through exercise and with medical advice. Under 1,200 may throw your body into what is referred to as a starvation mode. As I stated before when I went drastically below 1,200 calories I was losing weight and hair by the handfuls. And I went below 1,200 with my doctors OK. I was eating a balanced diet, but not enough to be healthy. When I added 200 calories my hair stopped falling out, and a lot of my depression went away. I now stay around 1,200 and I am losing about 4 to 5 pounds a month.

It takes about 3,500 calories to lose a pound. My doctor gave me a formula to determine calories. Take the weight you want to be and multiply it by 11. That is the approximate calories needed to maintain that weight. You will lose weight because you are heavier. For example, I want to weigh 135 so it is 135 X 11=1,485 calories to maintain a weight of 135. At 165 I will continue to lose weight as I need 1,850 to maintain a weight of 165; a savings of 330 calories a day. Or 2,300 calories a week, 10,395 a month. This is about 3 pounds a month.

If you don't undestand what I trying to awkwardly say, PM me with your desired weight and your current weight amd I will do the math for you. Carol

PS
I would join a weight loss site such a Livestrong, Sparkpeople or Myfitnesspal. They all have calorie and fitness counters and all three state going under 1,200 isn't a good idea.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 AM

I had the same reaction when I went under 1200. My hair started falling out so much I had a visible bald spot. Since I have silver hair it was really noticeable.

We have had tornadoes here all night. I slept about 4 hours, but one has been spotted about 5 miles west of us right now.

Carrie has had a terrible result of the storms yesterday. She posted a picture on another thread.

Well, the ideas I had were just ideas. I've had lots of feedback and change is not what anyone wants. So just keep the ideas on the back burner.

Let's try to keep lifting each other up and encouraging.

I'm seriously thinking of going to a local TOPS group that meets here for more encouragement. I am so stuck at this 260-264 and I really want to drop until the 250's. I haven't been there in 10 years or more.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 AM

CarolJ You said it so well. I have not seen that form of calorie figurer outer!!! I have a program called Fit Day. We bought it Many Many moons ago. i was not sure it would still work. i think it was when we had Windows 98 but it did.
It will figure out everything for you even nutritional. My husband used it to plan his meals. Even snacks. He said when he ate what they said he could and when he was not ever hungery. Sometimes he would eat an apple about 10 AM because it said he should even tho he wasn't hurgery. I can't do that because I need to splurge. I joined a silly Dariy Queen thing a long time ago. 6 times a year we get BOGO Blizzards. OMG I love Blizzards and at 2 for one they are not so expensive. So................ Last week we got a coupon and we both had a Blizzard snack for 3 days. I split it up and put it in the freezer and then my calories could handle it.
I am pretty sure I will not win the FQ but it has been fun to see others struggle with some of the same issues I do and it has helped me. Sometimes by my saying "boy she sure goofed today I will NOT do that" so in a way I have learned from others mistakes.
Thanks for listening.
Oh BTW is this over the end of April??? I suspect I will be gaining this week as we are at a very plush resort where my husband has a workshop and the food is non stop and oh so good. They talked our table into a sinful desert last night but four of us split it!!! Worst of it is I did not think it was a good as they made it out to be. I only had 3 bights but they were pretty big I guess
Old 04-27-2011, 05:13 AM

1,200 is what is recommended to stay healthy and lose weight. It may go lower through exercise and with medical advice. Under 1,200 may throw your body into what is referred to as a starvation mode. As I stated before when I went drastically below 1,200 calories I was losing weight and hair by the handfuls. And I went below 1,200 with my doctors OK. I was eating a balanced diet, but not enough to be healthy. When I added 200 calories my hair stopped falling out, and a lot of my depression went away. I now stay around 1,200 and I am losing about 4 to 5 pounds a month.
It takes about 3,500 calories to lose a pound. My doctor gave me a formula to determine calories. Take the weight you want to be and multiply it by 11. That is the approximate calories needed to maintain that weight. You will lose weight because you are heavier. For example, I want to weigh 135 so it is 135 X 11=1,485 calories to maintain a weight of 135. At 165 I will continue to lose weight as I need 1,850 to maintain a weight of 165; a savings of 330 calories a day. Or 2,300 calories a week, 10,395 a month. This is about 3 pounds a month.

Carol (Quote)

It also helps to change your routine so your body doesn't anticipate and get in a rut. This works for calories and excercise. Ex. If you are staying at 1441 calories a day, multiply that by 7 and then vary the number of calories per day for a week.
Mon - 1300 cal; Tues - 1500 cal; Wed - 1300 cal; Thurs - 1600 cal; Fri - 1287 cal; Sat - 1400 cal; Sun - 1700 cal. It is still the same number of calories for that week.
This really works!! Your body does not get in a rut and you do not feel deprived because you have a couple of days where you can treat yourself a bit. It works the same with exercising. Mix it up and don't work the same muscle group 2 days in a row. You can do cardio every day. If your body gets to where it can anticipate the normal, it settles in and holds on, making it hard to lose again. Change is good!!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 AM

Good morning everyone. I am SO excited. I lost another 2 lbs. My total weight loss is now 22.2 lbs. wooo hoooo go me!!!! I am still taking advantage of my full appetite not coming back since surgery. And watching what I put in my mouth, making sure it is healthy for me. Pushing past the 20 lb mark has me all revved up to keep doing good. I am so motivated and eager to hit the 25 lb loss. That is my next goal. I still have a very long way to reach my ultimate goal, but I will not focus on the long range goal. I have to focus on the smaller, more attainable goals and eventually I will get to the ultimate goal. I hope you all have a good day for making healthy choices. Sandy
Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks CAROLJ that makes perfect sense! I have never heard of that formula but that really helps. When I started I just cut out all of my sweets, cut portion sizes, and made my self eat a good breakfast every day. I knew that would cause some change(because if you knew what I sometimes ate on any given day, OH BOY!) and it worked really well. Then when my weight loss slowed down I kept kind of guessing at 1200 calories. But your formula really helps make it clearer. It is so much nicer to know what you need instead of just guessing and getting so rigid when things sloww down. Thanks again!