Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: arthritis pain

Tramadol, Tramadol, Tramadol......take 1 Gabapentin(2 last dose before bed), 2 tramadol, and 2 tylenol 4 times a day...only thing that keeps me going. Have osteoarthritis, cervical spondylosis, back injury from falling down stairs, fibromyalgia. Rheumatologist prescribed more than ten years ago and have not had to increase the dosage...it doesn't always keep everything at bay but goes a long way. Waiting now for steroid/lidocaine injection in shoulder that will last for 2-4 years. Hope you will try it and it works for you....It's hard to have a life at all when you have to spend all your time making it from minute to minute to survive the pain. Best to you....

You do have to work your way into the higher doses of tramadol...the degree of pain also alters the effects. The pain medication works in accordance with the pain level....any left over does make you sleepy, dizzy etc. My pain level eats it up and there is none left over...tramadol is also non narcotic....the only addicition I have noticed is I'm addicted to no pain.

I recently came across some information on Honey and Cinnamon as homepathic remedy for a lot of things....one of which is arthritis. I've only been using it for a couple days so don't know for sure if it works or not - but here it is:

"ARTHRITIS: Arthritis patients may take daily, morning and night, one cup of hot water with two spoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. If taken regularly even chronic arthritis can be cured.

In a recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon Honey and half teaspoon Cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week out of the 200 people so treated practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain and within a month, mostly all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis started walking without pain."

It goes on to say to use honey that has not been boiled...so wild non-pasturized and caylon cinnamon. Something about the boiling kills the healing properties of the honey. I'm still researching it.

Good luck.

I agree with the poster who wrote to avoid the nightshade vegetables. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 15 years, fibromyalgia for longer than that and have been on tons of medicines that have caused worse side effects than the RA and fibro themselves. (Methotrexate, Enbrel, Arava.....)

Two years ago I gave up grains and sugar, along with the nightshades veggies. I saw incredible improvement and lost 40 lbs......but was still not 100% healed which was my goal. I added dairy free and that was what helped me over that last hump.

I don't take any meds any more. At all. If I work too hard in the yard I might have to take some naproxen or soak in an epsom salt bath. I supplement with magnesium, vit D, co-Q, zinc and selenium and get lots of sleep. I try to keep my stressors to a minimum.

I don't eat anything processed any more. I don't necessarily eat organic since it is cost prohibitive, but I try to eat my food as close to the way God made it as possible. lol

Some famous ancient person (Aristotle? Socrates?) said that "All disease begins in the gut" and I believe it.

Everyone's body is different and we all have to find what works for us. Good Luck and God Bless you on your healing journey!
    Do not worry about the past, for it is history,
    Do not worry about the future, for it is a mystery,
    Only live for today, for it is a gift, that is why it is called "the present."

Yes keep trying things everyone's body is different. I take Zyflamend PM. It does help me sleep through the night and without ouchies. I have bad reactions to every single medicine I have ever taken. The only thing I am on now is a BP with a diuretic, low dosage. I tried everything else first and waited too long to go on meds and damaged my eye, I think it was so high because I was under a Lot of stress at the time. But its the only thing I take. I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a doctor . I tend to use them for diagnoses then come home and do research.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
    I take Tramadol. I was without for a week and couldn't believe how much pain I was in without it.
    Doesn't work for me.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

I have used BioFreeze, didn't help that much. I did the raisin/gin thing, the vinegar thing and nothing worked. I now use a product that is called "Two old Goat's". I get it at my local hardware store and it can be purchases on line. I have had a lot of relief from it. I also set in a whirlpool tub of warm water that has also helped. I have found if I keep real warm that also can help sometimes. Two of my friends started using the Two Old Goats lotion and they both thought it help a lot. It's a natural produce made from herbs, etc.

Essential Oils is a Natural Pain management solution for pain from arthritis, back pain, headaches etc. You can use Essentials Oils as often as you need to without any side effects that the medicine can cause.

Recommendations for Rheumatoid Arthritis is as follows:
    Singles Essential Oils: Nutmeg, clove, mountain savory, rosemary, melaleuca(M. alternifolia), helichrysum, Idaho balsam fir, pine, eucalypus(E. globulus), copaiba, myrrh, frankincense, wintergreen, palo santo, valerian.

Blended Essential Oils: PanAway, Relieve It, Aroma Siez, Deep Relief Roll-On.

All the above Oils can be found at YoungLiving.com and you can find more information there also.

I personally use the PanAway, Relieve It and Peppermint Oil every day and some days 3 to 6 times per day depending on how much pain I have.

The Oils you get at the Health Food stores are not the same grade of Oils as what Young Living has.

Hope this helps some of you that are in a Lot of pain....just a suggestion is all.
    Got-to Love those Dachshunds!!!!!

Quilters STITCH Together!!

I take mobic every day. If I am having a bad day and have pain I take Tramadol and when that doesn't work I have hydrocodon which I don't take unless nother else releives the pain. I hade the best luck with celebrex but doc took me off that a few years ago.

Diclofen -- a generic of Voltaren. Been on it for over 15 yrs and no problems......DO drink lots of water to flush ANY prescrip out of your system.....thru the kidneys
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    I take Gabapentin. It is really an Epilepsy Drug, but is prescribed for Pain. It really helps me. I take it hopefully not more than 3 times a day, but the prescription reads so that I can take it 4 times a day on bad days.
    I was also taking Tylenol Arthritis, but I had a major switch in my pain for the better, so tried just plain Generic Tylenol Arthritis. The latter helped a lot when I was taking it. Now, I don't need it so just take the Gen.Tylenol Ex-Strength.
    I learned from my Primary Care Physician recently that Arthritis moves in our bodies. Mine moved from the rt. side hip, spine and disc area to the left side. It isn't so bad now as I say; Prayers Answered! The Osteo isn't nearly as bad as Rheumatoid, so it is important to know which you have. I have the Oseto; my Mom had Rheumatoid and it is terrible.
    Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!
    Prayers,
    Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

I take Tramadol (aka Ultram). It has just become a "restricted substance" in NYS, so now prescriptions have to be paper copies and for no more than 5 months. Someone must have snorted it!!

I can't take nsaids for pain because of severe high blood pressure, but the Tramadol does a pretty good job. I started eating walnuts for Omega 3 and the pain seems better.....not sure if it due to the walnuts or not.

Dropping excess weight helps a lot with arthritis pain.....or not putting it on in the first place.

Have had a kidney removed due to malignant cancer over 5 yrs ago. Needless nto say, caution is the operative word for the remaining kidney. No nsaids, per MD, this includes naproxin, aspirin, aleve, ibuprofins and Doc says no aspirin. Any medicine, prescription or OTC or homoepathic are scrutinized before ingesting. Salt, only in moderation and Epsom salts is contra to my needs. Even the solutions at the pedicure saloon are heavy in salts. So far, my kidney function is good each time I am tested. I have a sister with polycystic disease and she is losing her kidney function necessitating dialysis. The disease is inherited and does not skip a generation. All my siblings have been tested. Em is the only one so far with this. Doctor is very careful when prescribing pain relieving meds and their side effects.
    Tylenol is acceptable in the recommended dosages. Arhtritis in lower back and joints is a woeful experience and makes me feel my 78 yrs. Always ask your doctor about your meds and what to expect before taking them

Sorry I personally have nothing but was talking to one of my spinning (on a bike) friends and she told me she buys empty capsules at the drugstore and fills them with turmeric and takes one a day and her arthritus does not flare up.
    Hope this will help you To me worthwhile to try out.

Dr. has me on methotrexate 2.5mg and I was on predsinone 5mg a day but I quit taking that now and take 8 methotrexate 1 time a week and shoulders and arms and hands feel fine. Sometimes my neck bothers me and I take a tylonel PM at bedtime and it is better in AM and for a week or two. I think is it sitting in this chair on computer too much sometimes.

Okay so I haven't read all the responses but here is my 2cents worth. I was diagnosed just a year ago with arthritis in my neck. The Dr. gave me a prescription and I think I took it for about 1 month. Didn't notice any difference. He then gave me another and I didn't even get that one filled. I didn't like all the side effects that were listed. Went to the vitamin store (GNC) and started taking their Tri-Flex packs. They aren't cheap about $50 for a month but they do have a gold membership and it allows you buy one get one half off. DH started taking it for arthritis in his knees about 2 weeks ago and he has noticed a big difference. We both have an aversion to taking lots of Rx pills and these are natural and for us aren't having any side effects.

Cherries, red, tart cherries. 1/4 cup every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Patchesnposies View Post
    I agree with the poster who wrote to avoid the nightshade vegetables. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 15 years, fibromyalgia for longer than that and have been on tons of medicines that have caused worse side effects than the RA and fibro themselves. (Methotrexate, Enbrel, Arava.....)

Two years ago I gave up grains and sugar, along with the nightshades veggies. I saw incredible improvement and lost 40 lbs......but was still not 100% healed which was my goal. I added dairy free and that was what helped me over that last hump.

I don't take any meds any more. At all. If I work too hard in the yard I might have to take some naproxen or soak in an epsom salt bath. I supplement with magnesium, vit D, co-Q, zinc and selenium and get lots of sleep. I try to keep my stressors to a minimum.

I don't eat anything processed any more. I don't necessarily eat organic since it is cost prohibitive, but I try to eat my food as close to the way God made it as possible. lol

Some famous ancient person (Aristotle? Socrates?) said that "All disease begins in the gut" and I believe it.

Everyone's body is different and we all have to find what works for us. Good Luck and God Bless you on your healing journey!
    EVERYTHING I read tells me that if you want to stop hurting and get healthy THIS is the way to do it. Prescription drugs are a godsend in some cases, but food can be our medicine. If nothing else remove all sugar and ALL artificial sweeteners (especially artificial sweeteners!) and as many carbohydrates as you can especially wheat which was altered genetically around 1997 and continues to be some kind of mutant. Look at how many of our foodstuffs have wheat or wheat derivatives in them.
    And while this is good advise it's really hard to do. I've succeeded only to fall back again. But, eventually pain drives me back onto the right road. I'm sorry so many of us have to hurt so much. My left thumb is throbbing so much as I type this that I'm going to go get some ibuprofen.

I have taken MSM(Methylsulfonylmethane) for about 14 years. It's organic sulphur. It was originally used for race horses with arthritis. The side effects are: thinner blood, and hair and nails grow faster. It doesn't work immediately, but after a week or two you can tell a difference in movement and pain. This is NOT an advertisement. My dad had me try it and it works for me. I've had a couple times I thought I couldn't afford it and soon realized just how bad I hurt without it. You can google opti-msm(opti msm is patented and guaranteed pure) I tried cheaper versions and they didn't work. Anyway, google it and it will explain what it is. I buy mine through Kala Health, again not an add-they've just been good for the past 14 years and there's enough companies out there trying to cheat people without having to use trial and error. I quilt, I need my hands plus I just need to get around. I hope this helps.
    Quilt-Dancer

"​Never the less....."
    (Katherine Hepburn in The African Queen)

I get bio freeze from my chiropractor in roll on form, also comes in a tube. I find that the more I can keep moving the less stiff I am. I was also diagnosed many years ago with osteo arthritis. I was put on several medications including an injection of Methyltrexate. I had to have liver function tests done every three months. I made the decision that I didn't want to be on these any more because the benefits were not enough compared to the risks. I am now at the point where I hurt more and for longer periods, but so far like some others I have been able to relieve it with cremes, warm baths or hot pads and occasionally some over the counter meds. My feet are probably the hardest to deal with since it hurts to walk or stand for any amount of time. Not sure what to do for them. Going to see a podiatrist in the hopes of some relief or ideas on what to do.

Blog Entries
    Selena, i tried the MSM that i got in Minnesota and it turned my knee (after I rubbed it on) red with dots. burned a lot. i was highly allergic to Sulphur. didn't bother my Husband though.
    I am too old now not to worry about things that can cause me to have a stroke or heart attack , or worse. so i don't take Nsaids anymore. they can only be taken for a few years anyway. I"m down to two meds a day now and doing OK.
    good luck.

Nativetexan, I take the pure powder or crystals dissolved in water or juice orally. If you're allergic to sulfur it won't work either way, sorry.
    Quilt-Dancer

"​Never the less....."
    (Katherine Hepburn in The African Queen)

Quote Originally Posted by Nina Baker View Post
    I learned of this here, on The Quilting Board, and have been using it for over a year. Two Old Goats is an all herbal lotion, made in a goats' milk base. It was developed by a fiber artist with arthritis in her hands. It is safe to use when handling fabric or thread because it does not rub off on it. I recommend it to anyone who has a pain problem, and many are really helped by it. You can find it online, there are some local distributors, or you can order it. there is now a distributing company who does not charge shipping. that's a real bargain. Price is reasonable.
    I also read on the QB about Two Old Goats and read a lot of other very positive reviews online. I ordered some recently for my MIL, who has a lot of pain, and was very pleased when it really helped her! I got some for me (my arthritis is not nearly as severe) and it does help! I ordered it from www.twooldgoats.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
    what do you take for your arthritis pain? I was taking Mobic or Celebrex but found out recently my kidneys are having problems with both. My pain iis ten times worst since I quit taking the medication.
    I have the same issue with arthritis medications. Everything I took affected my kidneys. I can't even take Advil or Ibuprofen without loss of kidney function. My doctor finally put me on Dolobid. I have been taking it for about 4 months---So far, so good. No kidney problems.

I had to stop vioxx and celebrex and now take etodolac and have used it for many years. Tramadol is good. I was recently prescribed lidocaine patches but they were so expensive I could not afford them. I hate taking some of this tuff because it makes my head foggy. I can't wait for heaven. They say it is pain free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast