Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: arthritis pain

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
    Cherries, red, tart cherries. 1/4 cup every day.
    Sounds great! Where do you find them?

I am allergic to several pain killers so when I got arthritis 40 years ago I learned a biofeedback method of controling pain. I have also found that some foods make it worse. (For me it is black pepper, msg, and alcohol.) Keep a notebook for a while of what you eat and record how you feel afterwards. It can take up to 48 hours for there to be a reaction. Start with an extremely bland diet, no red meat only poultry and fish, for a few weeks than add 1 new item at a time. It does take time but it does make a difference. I also have more trouble in cold, HUMID weather.

....or cherry juice. BUT, be careful, a lot of cherry juice is not cherry! It may say 100% juice, but again, may not be 100% cherry juice..not easy to find 100% real cherry juice, but when you do..it really helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
    Sounds great! Where do you find them?

I have found that my worse arthritis has started with bone injuries verified with xrays. Is this true with others?

The only way I'll drop 10 pounds is to go shopping in England. - Maxine-

AUQuilter: We use Biofreeze, too. I have neuropathy and someone had recommended that to us (over a year ago). You can't get it in the pharmacies (at least not here) and we get it from stores that furnish handicapped equipment. I think it's great.
    ALSO - we stopped by to pick up one of my prescriptions and they (the pharmacies) now have to have a PA on some of the medicines issued now. A prescription is not enough - there are authorization papers to be filled out by the doctor. I can understand it in a way, but GOOD GRIEF, it's hard enough now due to all this paperwork that is now being imposed on people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodee View Post
    AUQuilter:
    ALSO - we stopped by to pick up one of my prescriptions and they (the pharmacies) now have to have a PA on some of the medicines issued now. A prescription is not enough - there are authorization papers to be filled out by the doctor. I can understand it in a way, but GOOD GRIEF, it's hard enough now due to all this paperwork that is now being imposed on people.
    This is part of the new ObamaCare paperwork.

The only way I'll drop 10 pounds is to go shopping in England. - Maxine-

I was Rx'd Tramadol when I injured my knee(I banged it getting down on the floor to iron some blocks) took one, no problem, woke up 5 am in pain, took another pill, finally fell back to sleep to be awoken with nausea and subesquent vomiting, never took another Tramadol, couldn't tell if it was from the headache/dizziness or from the stomach upset.
    Relied on ice from that point on.
    I have found water exercise helps me feel better all the way around, so easy on the joints!

If ice works for I would sure us it. I'm not sure if it was the Tramadol, or a different drug, but one time I took a new prescription and woke up vomiting. I called my dr and he advised to wait a couple of hours then take a half a pill, and to do that for several more doses, before going to the full dose. I did that and never had any problem after that. I used to take mt mother to a doctor who always started people on new drugs this way...slowly. I also never take pills on an empty stomach. (Yes, I know some have to be taken that way, but I have never been prescribed one of those.)

Personally, Tramadol has been a Godsend for me. It has just been re-classified a "Restricted" drug in NYS, so I will have to jump through more hoops to get it. I suppose someone snorted it once....... It is an artificial narcotic...whatever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
    I was Rx'd Tramadol when I injured my knee(I banged it getting down on the floor to iron some blocks) took one, no problem, woke up 5 am in pain, took another pill, finally fell back to sleep to be awoken with nausea and subesquent vomiting, never took another Tramadol, couldn't tell if it was from the headache/dizziness or from the stomach upset.
    Relied on ice from that point on.
    I have found water exercise helps me feel better all the way around, so easy on the joints!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
    Cherries, red, tart cherries. 1/4 cup every day.
    I've also heard cherry juice helps.
    Dr put me on Celebrex and I stopped taking it. Motrin does me more good but I try to not take on a regular basis.
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

Blog Entries
    I have osteoarthritis and a torn meniscus in my knee. I tore my rotator cuff 2 years ago and my Dr prescribed Celibrex for 3 months to help to keep the inflamation down in my shoulder while it healed. OMG did it ever work good for my knee and lower back. I read the side effects and decided my pain wasn't bad enough to take it. Also my family doctor didn't like it. I now take Mobic on an as needed basis. I have found that weight loss and exercise help a lot. It is hard to get moving at first since it is stiff but once it loosens up it is much better. I am going to order some of the Two old Goats. Sounds interesting.

Don't know where my brain is sometimes...I had totally forgotten about the TENS Machine I have when nothing else works... It delivers electrical stimulation to the problem area and blocks the pain....Need to work with the doctor to make sure you put it on correctly and don't get your wires crossed LOL....Here is a link. You can also Google it and find lots of info....

http://arthritis.about.com/od/assist...g/tensunit.htm

Blog Entries
    I have taken Nabumetone and Sulfasalazine (an old antibiotic for inflammation) for several years now. Usually after a few years they stop working and I have to change meds. I was diagnosed 21 years ago at 32 years old with rheumatoid arthritis. I have done it all, including gold shots. Have had two neck surgeries, four foot surgeries, and four knee surgeries, including a complete knee replacement, because of arthritis. I've learned to put my feet up whenever I get a chance.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I am having an incredible PAIN DAY from Gout (arthritis form) today. I cried with every step to the bathroom after waking with the pain at 4AM this morning. I am not some one to cry or complain about pain, but I have it in the ankle and foot ont he left and this morning the worst case I have ever had in the large two joint of the right foot. Now I am parked on the couch and cannot walk.Called the doctor, they called in Hydrocodone and a Mobic Pack, I hope I don't have any reaction to the mobic....sense it is a pack, do you think it will be ok on my kidneys? Husband just left to pick up my relief...I hope...this is just awful, hurtful pain. I can't imagine you ladies having this round the clock.
    My heart goes out to you.
    Diana in TX

I feel so sorry for you Diana. Put some ice on your hurting spots, in a towel, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    I am having an incredible PAIN DAY from Gout (arthritis form) today. I cried with every step to the bathroom after waking with the pain at 4AM this morning. I am not some one to cry or complain about pain, but I have it in the ankle and foot ont he left and this morning the worst case I have ever had in the large two joint of the right foot. Now I am parked on the couch and cannot walk.Called the doctor, they called in Hydrocodone and a Mobic Pack, I hope I don't have any reaction to the mobic....sense it is a pack, do you think it will be ok on my kidneys? Husband just left to pick up my relief...I hope...this is just awful, hurtful pain. I can't imagine you ladies having this round the clock.
    My heart goes out to you.
    Diana in TX

Yes, my worst pain is in my neck, and I had a discectomy and fusion because a disk had disintegrated so far I had "bone on bone" and pinched nerves. This showed up as "moderate arthritis and stenosis on an x-ray but was much more serious when detected on an MRI. I didn't get as much pain relief as I hoped for so now I'm going to get a steroid injection. The operation helped my hands and arms. The rest of the neck has arthritis and one disk is bulging, but not pinching nerves yet.

I've been taking Tramadol for a long time, and it helps my nerves, but not the pain so much. I hate the side effects if I try to quit taking it though, it's like having the flu! This is even if I try to go 12 hrs. without taking it. It is a synthetic opioid and although it used to be considered non-narcotic it is being, or has been, reclassified. My new Dr. does not like to prescribe it, so I am going to try to wean off it again.

I may try Neurontin (Gabapentin) again, since I had some success with it previously, and no side-effects. It is used for many symptoms off-label.

90% of the pain I had in my joints and lower back went away when I quit gluten.

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    I have found that my worse arthritis has started with bone injuries verified with xrays. Is this true with others?
    :-)
    CAS

I take Mobic & gabapenten (neurontin for neuropathy). Sometimes I have to add 1/2 lortab or an ultram (tramadol). Voixx helped me more than anything, but it's off the market. I have had numerous surgeries associated with the arthritis. Heat helps at night - also Voltaren gel - but NOT when use use heat.

Try Bio-Freeze. It's a gel that you rub onto the affected area. Surprisingly, it provides relief almost immediately. Aspirin and Ibuprofen etc. upset my stomach, so this is a good alternative:-)

AAD
    I do the same thing I fill my own capsules with the turmeric and it does work. A friend told me about it last year and have been using it ever since. Can not take the medications out for arthritis since it is destroying my jaws. It started making my jaws bones break off in little pieces and work out thru the gums. there is nothing to stop this so would not want to start back on any of those.

Oh my...whoever said that getting old is not for sissies was really right on!!

Quote Originally Posted by AAD View Post
    I do the same thing I fill my own capsules with the turmeric and it does work. A friend told me about it last year and have been using it ever since. Can not take the medications out for arthritis since it is destroying my jaws. It started making my jaws bones break off in little pieces and work out thru the gums. there is nothing to stop this so would not want to start back on any of those.

I realize how lucky I am that my aches and pains are so minor compared to many of you. I take turmeric which you can get from health food stores in capsule form. I also use it as a spice in things like chili (it is cumin). Where do you get the capsules you fill?
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

If you have RA, keep working w/ your Dr. I have this and it is very active. I do relaxation therapy, cherry juice, heat and cold compress, use the Homedics products to massage the neck , feet, back plus the neck thing you put in the microwave. I cook my oatmeal w/ cinnamon and ginger. Anything and everything that you can do. When pain won't let up, I take a Tramadol. During the day I take a mobic then later ex strength Tylenol which helps. I will try the stretching to see if that works. If I sit over 5 mins, I have trouble walking. A brace (got from the Dr) helps my ankles and got one for my wrist.
    I have reactions when given the IV drugs such as Rutixan and Actemera, can't take Humeria cuz had breast cancer but that one was so great while I took it. Dr. put me on prednisone for the reactions (high dosages) and I blew up like a balloon. I was frightened of getting diabetes or heart disease from it. Get lots of rest and don't get involved in anyones baggage as that causes stress that produce flareups. I can't take the other things like Orencia, due to a lung problems. When you are able to walk, do so as excercise does help. I hope you get better. They do have pain management clinics and you may want to discuss a referral w/ your Dr. Hugs.
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

QM
    Thanks for this thread. I knew I was getting sicker and sicker. I looked up the side effects of Celebrex.. Yikes!!! I had about 10 of them, some very serious. Now we are trying Voltaren topical gel. Doc also recommended considering Tumeric, preferably in capsules. I guess the moral of the story is don't settle and do communicate with medical folks. Of course, what works well for one may be a really bad idea for another.

About a year ago I was having a lot of pain in my knees. I'd had 3 cortizone shots over a few months and they helped for a little while. I went to the "health" department at one of the food stores that always has staff to help and answer questions. She gave me a weeks worth of samples of ZYFLAMEND softgels by New Chapter. I took 2 a day and after a week, my pain was almost gone. I bought a large bottle and have taken it ever since. It has worked so well for me that I recommend it highly. I take a lot of prescription drugs for Diabetes, Cholesterol, Hyper-tension, and Thyroid, so I did get my Doctor's approval before taking the supplement. It's so much better than taking another prescription. God bless all of you.
    rosiesgram

Quote Originally Posted by leighway View Post
    EVERYTHING I read tells me that if you want to stop hurting and get healthy THIS is the way to do it. Prescription drugs are a godsend in some cases, but food can be our medicine. If nothing else remove all sugar and ALL artificial sweeteners (especially artificial sweeteners!) and as many carbohydrates as you can especially wheat which was altered genetically around 1997 and continues to be some kind of mutant. Look at how many of our foodstuffs have wheat or wheat derivatives in them.
    And while this is good advise it's really hard to do. I've succeeded only to fall back again. But, eventually pain drives me back onto the right road. I'm sorry so many of us have to hurt so much. My left thumb is throbbing so much as I type this that I'm going to go get some ibuprofen.
    I've heard that the wheat was genetically altered. How did you find out? I'd like to know what else is being engineered, that is really scary.

Quote Originally Posted by IshtarsMom View Post
    My pain level eats it up and there is none left over...tramadol is also non narcotic....the only addicition I have noticed is I'm addicted to no pain.

I beg to differ, Tramadol is from the opioid family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast